Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More paint color questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesBernard
Hello again,
We recently picked up another 1976 914 2.0L, now we've got a Viper Green Metallic and the other one's code is L 98. Anyone know what color that would be? It's kind of a dark green/olive. The car has been repainted a similar color but we're going to try to take it back to the original.

Second part: How many 914's were made all together? The vin number(the number by the color code?) is 5039031, is there any way i can find out how late of a model my 914 is? What was the vin of the last 914 made?

Thanks a bunch!
1970 Neun vierzehn
Jim,
Check out the "914 info" right above the 914 WORLD banner at the top of the page. Lots of neat information there. And add your cars to the list!

Paul
JamesBernard
I did, but i want to know how late my 914 was made in comparison to the other 1976's.
And the color code for L 98 is a custom color?
SirAndy
QUOTE(JamesBernard @ May 14 2007, 05:00 PM) *

The vin number(the number by the color code?) is 5039031

that's not the VIN, that's the chassis number ... the VIN will be on the tag on the drivers side windshield pillar ...

as for the paint code, L98 means it was a custom color, so, no, there is no way of telling what that color actually was by just looking at the code.

do you have any pictures of the original color?
idea.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(JamesBernard @ May 14 2007, 05:00 PM) *

What was the vin of the last 914 made?

the "914 Info" section can work wonders for those kind of questions:
VIN Numbers Range per Year

bye1.gif Andy
JamesBernard
Well if it's a custom color that makes it pretty difficult to get it back to the original color now doesnt it?
the only part of it that's still the original color is in the trunks
but i think its pretty hard to match it just to that color
its kind of a dark green/olive its wierd.
McMark
The custom color cars are of great interest to me. Do you have the ability to take a few pictures?
Bleyseng
QUOTE(JamesBernard @ May 14 2007, 06:00 PM) *

Hello again,
We recently picked up another 1976 914 2.0L, now we've got a Viper Green Metallic and the other one's code is L 98. Anyone know what color that would be? It's kind of a dark green/olive. The car has been repainted a similar color but we're going to try to take it back to the original.

Second part: How many 914's were made all together? The vin number(the number by the color code?) is 5039031, is there any way i can find out how late of a model my 914 is? What was the vin of the last 914 made?

Thanks a bunch!

The last one was VIN ending in 4100, dunno what the chassis code was but something like 504-900x
Just have the paint shop color match to the trunk paint or leave the engine cover with them if the underside is still factory paint.
JamesBernard
I'll try to take some pictures tonight and see what i can do.
If the last chassis number was 504-900x that would 503-9031 pretty close wouldnt it?
Would anyone pay more for one of the last ones made?
iamchappy
if you research paint colors for Porsche 911's and VW in the 75, 76 years you can probably find the right color.
1970 Neun vierzehn
If I owned a 914 with a "special"/custom paint application/L98 paint code, I'd really want to keep the original color on the car. Talk about unique and distinctive!
SirAndy
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 15 2007, 06:59 AM) *

if you research paint colors for Porsche 911's and VW in the 75, 76 years you can probably find the right color.

agree.gif

most likely, it was a available 911 or VW color of that year. it should be fairly easy to find the exact color if you still have the original showing ...
post a few pics ...

as for the date, you need to find and post the VIN, the chassis number isn't conclusive.
there should be a VIN tag on the drivers side windshield pillar and it is also stamped into the top of the pass. side front fender, inside the front trunk.

i don't think being a "late" car is increasing it's value, unless it would be the last known car.
the fact that it is a "custom color" car is more interesting than a late VIN ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
JamesBernard
I looked at the numbers and it turns out our is within the last 150 that were made.
Al Meredith
I think others are correct, Look for a 911 color. I had a 1976 912E about 15 years ago that was the same color . Sort of a dark metalic green. Both are 76's and it stands to reason that if yours is one of the last produced the factory let the 914 paint run out.
JamesBernard
http://www.texas912.org/Members-912E%5CMor...rie912E_001.jpg

It looks like that color
look right to you?
Do you remember the name of the color?
JamesBernard
http://www.912registry.org/restore/pcode.htm
Irish green?
sound right?
it might be too light.

i think it matches?
huh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JamesBernard @ May 16 2007, 07:23 PM) *

Irish green?
sound right?
it might be too light.
i think it matches?

could be. Irish Green was only available for the 914 up until '72. a lot of original /6 cars came in that color.

in '76, that would have been a "custom" color ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
McMark
The paint in the trunk looks original and neither the trunk or the exterior color is Irish Green. Irish Green is not metallic. Here is a picture of Irish Green.

If I were to guess a color, I would guess Olive Green Metallic which was a 74 VW color. It's not uncommon for the custom colors to be 'out of year'. Go ask a PPG dealer to mix a sample of 2693 and compare it to the car. In fact, I will do it tomorrow, event though I don't have the car, I can see if the paint is as dark as it appears on the chip sheet.
JamesBernard
That's way too light, it looks like the 911 in the first response.
Maybe an avacado green or something, but i like the idea of seeing porsches/VW's paint charts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.