Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Kind of Muffler is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
My 914 has this muffler, just wondering what kind it was. Perhaps I'll buy a bursch.

IPB Image
Twystd1
Why buy a Bursch when you already have one?

C
jonferns
so its a bursch, eh?
Andyrew
Certainly looks like one.. but with those weld marks... Who knows what the actual muffler is...

IFin you want a burch.. leave it..
If you dont like the sound and want something better... try taking it to your exaust shop and having them weld a magnaflow muffler in place...
SLITS
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ May 14 2007, 07:30 PM) *

so its a bursch, eh?

No, It's a Bursch.
Brando
If it's too loud, weld in a quieter muffler. If it's not loud enough, weld in a glasspack.

Expect to wear earplugs when driving anywhere though.
DanT
It is a Bursch that someone has change out the exhaust pipe and chrome tip for a small down turned tip...

jonferns
personally, its not loud enough for my taste biggrin.gif what would you guys recomend?
robby750
Those jackstands give me the shivers.....shiver- me-timbers
jonferns
....sad.gif...we're getting jackstands probably tomorrow....not working on it during the week anyway...--JON
Twystd1
Magna Flow

google it.

C
Brando
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ May 14 2007, 07:41 PM) *

personally, its not loud enough for my taste biggrin.gif....what would you guys recomend? --JON

Read replies...

Glasspack.

Actually, I'd be willing to trade if yours is for 2.0 HEs... biggrin.gif Can anyone tell which they are? (I can't without comparing).

I got no prob driving around town without a muffler for a week. Shit, I'd even give you a few bucks for shipping!

PMing you Jon...
r_towle
QUOTE(Brando @ May 14 2007, 10:53 PM) *

personally, its not loud enough for my taste biggrin.gif....what would you guys recomend? --JON

Read replies...

Glasspack.

Actually, I'd be willing to trade if yours is for 2.0 HEs... biggrin.gif Can anyone tell which they are? (I can't without comparing).

I got no prob driving around town without a muffler for a week. Shit, I'd even give you a few bucks for shipping!

PMing you Jon...

Its a 1.8, so those are not 2.0 heat exchangers.
the up turned end is the give away.
2.0 liter HE's are straight on the end.

Rich
r_towle
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ May 14 2007, 10:41 PM) *

Honestly, save your money and wait a bit.
Bursch mufflers a great, they rot from the inside out, so over time they get louder and louder.

Rich

Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment

It is a Bursch system, which uses a Walker turbo muffler. the tip is altered and someone acetylene icon8.gif welded it there.
I took an old bursch, flanged it right after the collector and bolted on a magnaflow.
It runs out the R rear side (less bends), then blasted/ coated everthing for less cost of a new Bursch. The magnaflow is totally aluminized and will outlive the rusty bursch biggrin.gif
McMark

New taste. av-943.gif

Just kidding with ya'. I like quiet cars. A glasspack will definitely be loud and is quite cheap. But like Brando implied, the noise gets very old after 20 or 30 miles on a road trip. Flowmasters are another option. But the fact of the matter is that no one can tell you what muffler you're going to like. At the end of the day it's just a shot in the dark. Pick something and give it a try. wink.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 14 2007, 09:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

It is a Bursch system, which uses a Walker turbo muffler. the tip is altered and someone acetylene icon8.gif welded it there.
I took an old bursch, flanged it right after the collector and bolted on a magnaflow.
It runs out the R rear side (less bends), then blasted/ coated everthing for less cost of a new Bursch. The magnaflow is totally aluminized and will outlive the rusty bursch biggrin.gif

Another reason to hate Marty's ingenuity, now that's a good looking exhaust.
rhcb914
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ May 14 2007, 10:41 PM) *

Not loud enough huh? I have a Bursch with the glass pack that I was going to cut up and weld in a muffler. Mine is the correct 1.7/1.8 for you car. If you want to do an even swap I'll shoot some pics and ship it down if you ship yours up. Shipping costs shouldn't be too much since we are both on the right coast!

PM me if your interested.

-Rob
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ May 14 2007, 06:41 PM) *

what would you guys recomend? --JON

ask Britt biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.