Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toomanyinkc
The PO acquired the car without engine or transmission. He installed a rebuilt engine from AVP and a tailshift trans from a salvage yard and then he passed it on to me. The title says it is a '71. The id plate is missing from the front trunk, but the winshield pillar VIN agrees with the title.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Is the front bumper a '71? What about the 914 2.0 badge on the rear?

The shifter in the car looks like a sideshift unit. How can I tell if that is a conversion bushing in the firewall? I'm planning to replace it and want to order the correct part.

Click to view attachment

That is a sideshift shift rod, isn't it? If that's a tailshift shift rod, I'm planning to replace the installed trans with a sideshifter.

Click to view attachment

This just looks wrong...these are sideshift motor mount brackets and motor mounts on a tailshift bar, right?

Are the bar-to-car mounts straight tailshift parts or are they a mix of tail and side parts on this car?

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the help. I'm starting with *zero* 914 experience and several boxes of parts.

Fred
SirAndy
the bumper looks like a '74. there were no 2.0L in '71, so that badge is not original either.

the tub, however is a early tub and could very well be a '71.

as for the motormount, you got a tailshifter mounting bar, but someone mixed up a few parts.
the tailshifter motormount bar is supposed to be bolted directly to the engine and use rubber mounts on the outside (to the body). as you can see, you got both, rubber mounts on the engine and on the body side of things, which is incorrect.

also, the rubber mount on the body looks broken.

and yes, you have a sideshifter shiftrod with a conversion bushing (held in by screws blink.gif ). meaning, you most likely also have a sideshift shifter.

i'm a bit suspicious here. can you post a pic of your *empty* front trunk and a shot of your transmission?
idea.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
Andyrew
Your car has slicks on it..

Thus saying, your going to find a LOT of aftermarket parts on it.. Dont you worry about the proper badging.. lol 2.0 was only in the 6 cylinders in that year. in 73, the 6 was deleted and the 2.0 4 came out as a "true porsche engine"

Front bumper is NOT a 71. late 73+ had those "tits" or rubber bumpers on them for laws.

You have a very iteresting custom cross member holding up your engine. That tubular steel is NOT stock, Stock is a forged piece that is extremely heavy, that replacement is probably 1/3 the weight..(note my above mention of slicks)

That does not look like a sideshift rod.. then again it kinda does.

Good luck on replacing the plastic bushing (the one that usually is loose) pictured in the 2nd to last pic.. It seems to be held in by bolts, rather than pressed in after being warmed up in boiling water....

So far it looks like a solid car that needs to be worked over a little.

Good luck!!
toomanyinkc
Here are pics of the front trunk and trans. The transmission is not original to the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I don't think the front sway bar is original either...

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Sway bar is a welt meister.
I think the front trunk is not from a 71, but I will wait for Sir Andy to confirm.

The motor looks nice and clean.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 14 2007, 08:31 PM) *

You have a very iteresting custom cross member holding up your engine. That tubular steel is NOT stock, Stock is a forged piece that is extremely heavy, that replacement is probably 1/3 the weight

NOT true ... it's a stock early tailshifter bar with the wrong engine mounts ...
bye1.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 14 2007, 09:18 PM) *

I think the front trunk is not from a 71, but I will wait for Sir Andy to confirm.

just what i thought ... icon8.gif

the rear of the car is from a early car, very possibly the '71 in the title.
the front, however, is from a late model car ...

meaning, your car was probably in a crash and had some major surgery.
looks like a whole new frontclip was added ...
barf.gif Andy

PS: inspect carefully and look for any unusual weldseams going across the car. either somewhere around the front fenders/cowl area or from under the car across the floorpan.
anything that would indicate that two cars were stitched together ...

PPS: it looks as if someone also stitched in the pass. side front fender. my guess would be to retain the original VIN number stamped on top of that fender.
look at the weld-seam around the lower support under the headlight.
you can clearly make out where it was cut/welded ...
So.Cal.914
That would explain why the tag is missing in front. The firewall is early for sure.

The brace at the front of the front trunk was added in, I think, 73 or 74.

Good eye on the wheel well change Andy.
rhodyguy
quite the hodge-podge of items. tail shift trans, early engine bar, late front shift rod, late inner engine mounts (early bar should mount directly to the brackets on the front of the engine), early style outer mounts (worn out on the one pictured), missing the firewall pivot piece for the early shift rods, the large oval portion for the early shift rod cover on the firewall, the inner mount brackets on the engine might be incorrect...prob didn't shift very well smile.gif

so, to swap to a side shift you need the late engine bar, the rear rod, the correct shifter assem, plan on new late inner rubber mounts ($18? at pelican) and i'd get new correct late solid outer mounts (about $14 each at pelican), the cover for the shift rod console at the trans (good used ones can be had for less than 1/2 of the new ones), the rear coupler at the trans, and spring for the WHOLE bushing set with the fw conversion bushing.

k
McMark
agree.gif

Looks like a major section of the front was replaced.

The new section appears to be from a Marathon Blue Metallic car.
Click to view attachment
While the rest of the car was originally Light Ivory.
Click to view attachment

I would invest in a front end alignment. Any problem with front end alignment will indicate a poor welding repair.
rhodyguy
i wonder what function the 2 red wires above the oval housing perform.

k
toomanyinkc
I haven't figured out where all of the wires go yet. An alarm and stereo were snipped out at some point.

I think the splice in the body is just in front of the front shock towers.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

There is some poor welding on the long...
Click to view attachment

toomanyinkc
Shouldn't there be something here for the jack to engage???
Click to view attachment

Is this the model of fuel pump that I hear bad things about?
Click to view attachment

My friend the PO had the car for nine years and remained blissfully unaware of its true condition. I couldn't help myself and destroyed the illusion in three days. I think he was happier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.