Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original Inside Rear Window Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
swm914
Originally, was there any kind of factory trim running along the bottom of the rear glass where it meets the back of the inner cockpit? My car had a sticky film, somewhat uniform in width running along the bottom of the glass as if something had been glued or stuck there at one time. On part of the distance, I found black electrical tape. I assume the tape must have run the whole way at one time and was put there by a PO as "trim" and where the tape was missing, there was residue.

I removed all the tape and remaining sticky residue and it looks much better. However, it got me to wondering if there was a "trim" of sorts or whatever along there originally that he tried to duplicate with the electrical tape or if he was just being creative? Hopefully, I've described the area I'm talking about good enough. If not, I'll attach a pix when able. Thanks.
Steve
smontanaro
I remember reading in another thread on replacing the rear glass that the factory actually did use electrical tape to "trim" the lower edge.

Skip
70Sixter
Mine had/has nothing there.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(swm914 @ May 15 2007, 08:43 AM) *

My car had a sticky film, somewhat uniform in width running along the bottom of the glass as if something had been glued or stuck there at one time.
Steve

Sounds exactly like my 1970 inside, rear window finish. Until I see proof or hear otherwise, electrical tape it is! blink.gif
IronHillRestorations
All I've ever seen is black plastic tape.
tyler
I don't think there was ever anything there since the backpad is supposed to cover it. I think the tape is there to show a nice straight line from the outside to kind of hide the irregular buytel adhesive.
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

Here's the factory answer, 3/4" Electrical Tape around the edges. See #11 for reference.

When you apply it remember, half goes on the glass & half on the metal.

Tom
BTW: Why don't you guys buy a set of factory manuels, It's in there and factory correct. That's how I assembled my entire car.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 16 2007, 11:56 AM) *

Hi Guys,

BTW: Why don't you guys buy a set of factory manuels, It's in there and factory correct.

Tom,
"cause it's way more fun to post and see the responses, hijack threads, "push buttons", call names and point fingers. happy11.gif poke.gif chair.gif mueba.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 16 2007, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 16 2007, 11:56 AM) *

Hi Guys,

BTW: Why don't you guys buy a set of factory manuels, It's in there and factory correct.

Tom,
"cause it's way more fun to post and see the responses, hijack threads, "push buttons", call names and point fingers. happy11.gif poke.gif chair.gif mueba.gif

Ha Ha av-943.gif I knew the answer before you said it. We are family & need each other.

T
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 16 2007, 02:56 PM) *

Hi Guys,

Here's the factory answer, 3/4" Electrical Tape around the edges. See #11 for reference.

When you apply it remember, half goes on the glass & half on the metal.

Tom
BTW: Why don't you guys buy a set of factory manuels, It's in there and factory correct. That's how I assembled my entire car.

Yep, it's right there in the manual! Imagine Porsche using a simple thing like that. I'm sure (though I haven't checked) that you can buy the exact length item, with a nebulus part number, from Porsche for at least 10 times the cost of 3/4" "homegrown" electrical tape.

Tom is correct here, though. Everyone needs to have the factory manual set for the 914. They show up on eBay periodically & are worth the price. Parts manuals too, though the DVD is the better way these days (just got one off eBay for $20 including shipping - much faster than leafing through the original parts manual, plus it has parts info for all other models).
Pat
Eric_Shea
That's how I assembled my entire car.

With Electrical Tape? ohmy.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 17 2007, 02:01 PM) *

av-943.gif chairfall.gif laugh.gif , God, I love this forum!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 17 2007, 04:01 PM) *

I don't know - duct tape seems like a better alternative for things like replacing those pesky clamps on fuel lines, and who needs CV boots when you have a four inch wad of duct tape. Saves lots of money too. Oh, and who needs motor mounts - put the thing in place & add several wraps of duct tape - it'll hold.

aktion035.gif
jk76.914
QUOTE(swm914 @ May 15 2007, 12:43 PM) *

Originally, was there any kind of factory trim running along the bottom of the rear glass where it meets the back of the inner cockpit? My car had a sticky film, somewhat uniform in width running along the bottom of the glass as if something had been glued or stuck there at one time. On part of the distance, I found black electrical tape. I assume the tape must have run the whole way at one time and was put there by a PO as "trim" and where the tape was missing, there was residue.

I removed all the tape and remaining sticky residue and it looks much better. However, it got me to wondering if there was a "trim" of sorts or whatever along there originally that he tried to duplicate with the electrical tape or if he was just being creative? Hopefully, I've described the area I'm talking about good enough. If not, I'll attach a pix when able. Thanks.
Steve

I used 1" black vinyl floor marking tape. It's thicker, wider, and stickier than electrical tape. It's made to be used in factories, warehouses, and so on to put lines on concrete or tile floors to mark aisles or whatever. It's tough and sticks tenaciously. I found it in a google search. I can look through my receipts and try and find the actual source if anyone's interested.
swm914
[I used 1" black vinyl floor marking tape. It's thicker, wider, and stickier than electrical tape. It's made to be used in factories, warehouses, and so on to put lines on concrete or tile floors to mark aisles or whatever. It's tough and sticks tenaciously. I found it in a google search. I can look through my receipts and try and find the actual source if anyone's interested.
[/quote]

Jim, Yeah, I'd be interested. thanks
Steve
jk76.914
[quote name='swm914' date='May 19 2007, 08:12 PM' post='902622']
[I used 1" black vinyl floor marking tape. It's thicker, wider, and stickier than electrical tape. It's made to be used in factories, warehouses, and so on to put lines on concrete or tile floors to mark aisles or whatever. It's tough and sticks tenaciously. I found it in a google search. I can look through my receipts and try and find the actual source if anyone's interested.
[/quote]

Jim, Yeah, I'd be interested. thanks
Steve
[/quote]

OK, I'll dig it out in the a.m. and get back to you.
Jim
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ May 19 2007, 06:24 AM) *

QUOTE(swm914 @ May 15 2007, 12:43 PM) *

Steve

I used 1" black vinyl floor marking tape. It's thicker, wider, and stickier than electrical tape. It's made to be used in factories, warehouses, and so on to put lines on concrete or tile floors to mark aisles or whatever. It's tough and sticks tenaciously. I found it in a google search. I can look through my receipts and try and find the actual source if anyone's interested.

Jim,

No slam intended, but the factory says 3/4 inch electrical tape. I'm sure your solution is better, given the changes in technology in 37 years, but this Forum is directed towards originality. Please don't take this the wrong way - I mean no malcontent, it's just my job as moderator. A halfway decent concours judge would pick out the difference pretty quickly.

Without intending to hijack this thread, I do wonder what materials would be used to construct a contemporary 914, while keeping it's inherent qualities of the 70's.....
Pat
jk76.914
Sorry. I guess I just supposed this was another "garage" thread, as opposed to the concours thread. A thousand pardons to those who I insulted!

Steve- I'll PM you with that info on the 1" floor tape. If I can't find the source, I'll just get your address and mail you my roll. You can use it and then mail back what's left. Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.