Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your custom exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
So, I have been wanting to change up my exhaust/muffler for a bit now. I have a nice new bursch and it's decent, but I hate the chrome tip, and how far it sticks out, and I'm not keen on the quality of the actual muffler ect.

I'm looking to have a local shop weld on a new tip, (wider and a angled towards the drivers side) and possibly replace the muffler itself with a magnaflow or similar.

Here is what I'll be starting with.

Click to view attachment

Let's see pics of what you guys have done.

Ferg driving.gif
Jake Raby
Chances are very good that any local shop may make something look or sound cool for your car, BUT it will it is very likely to HURT performance and efficiency.

The Type 4 engine is VERY exhaust dependant and responds seriously to exhaust system configuration changes- about 90% of the custom exhausts I have come into contact with have been absolutely incorrectly designed for the Type 4.

Make one call to Chris Foley and it'll be done.. Looks sound and performance that has been proven right here under my roof.
Ferg
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 15 2007, 01:38 PM) *

Chances are very good that any local shop may make something look or sound cool for your car, BUT it will it is very likely to HURT performance and efficiency.

The Type 4 engine is VERY exhaust dependant and responds seriously to exhaust system configuration changes- about 90% of the custom exhausts I have come into contact with have been absolutely incorrectly designed for the Type 4.

Make one call to Chris Foley and it'll be done.. Looks sound and performance that has been proven right here under my roof.

I agree with you Jake. Chris's stuff is the BEST.

But, I need heat, it's a street car, and I'm on a budget. So, what I'm hoping to achieve is same dynamics as the bursch system with better cosmetics.

Ferg
Demick
I don't have a better picture right now. But I've got a Bursch style collector (actually an S&S 4-1 collector) with a Flowmaster muffler welded on. Muffler tip is larger diameter and angled toward the drivers side just like you are talking about.
Ferg
Thanks Demick! That's pretty close to what I'm imagining.

Ferg.
messix
that one needs a longer collector to be effective. i'd give up some on the primary extensions for a longer collector extension.
r_towle
I would bring your existing system to the shop and have them weld on a three bolt flange.
Then you can weld another three bolt flange to any muffler you choose that will fit.
I have a bursch, and when its time, it will be cut and a flange will be added, it just gives you more flexability.

Rich
messix
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 15 2007, 03:39 PM) *

I would bring your existing system to the shop and have them weld on a three bolt flange.
Then you can weld another three bolt flange to any muffler you choose that will fit.
I have a bursch, and when its time, it will be cut and a flange will be added, it just gives you more flexability.

Rich

great idea! agree.gif
TROJANMAN
ask Britt tongue.gif
Rand
laugh.gif Stop it Gregor! Oy.

On a serious note. I snuck over to Alpha's and snapped a spy photo of what he's been working on. Troy and Britt were arguing over the implementation at this point:
TROJANMAN
WOW, are those titanium tail pipes?

av-943.gif
Demick
Lincoln TIG welder: $1200
40 feet of 2" dia pipe from Home Depot: $86
Welding and fitting: 6 hours
The look you get when you drive your pink POS around town: Priceless
Aaron Cox
smile.gif

gonna lop off the third tip....
IPB Image
TROJANMAN

that thing looks like an udder
DanT
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 15 2007, 07:09 PM) *

that thing looks like an udder

udderly cool biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentBursch with custom flange, to a Magnaflow (aluminized) , out the R rear of the valence.
Nice sound (not a glasspack) especially on decel.
marty
Martin Baker
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ May 16 2007, 02:45 AM) *

I think this is an early CFR header, with a Super Trap, it sounds so good, I am going to go without heat...I love this exhaust.

I can just make out the bottom of the Phase 9 Silencer before the Supertrapp.
type47fan
SBC V8 varoom!
East coaster
My poser Boxter muff:

Click to view attachment
BIGKAT_83
East Coaster................... That is NICE. clap56.gif clap56.gif
Tom
Ferg,
PM me and I will try to get the pics of my Triad to you. I can not seem to figure out how to get them to go here , but have sent others pics after they Pm me at Powellta@psns.navy.mil.
Expensive exhaust , but excellent quality.
Tom
RockinOldSchool
QUOTE(Demick @ May 15 2007, 02:51 PM) *

I've got a Bursch style collector (actually an S&S 4-1 collector) with a Flowmaster muffler welded on.

Sorry to resurrect but I had a quick question.

What series is that flowmaster and how does it sound compared to a normal bursch?
I was looking into welding a 40 series in place of the muffler on my bursch system. I'm looking for something a little bit deeper and louder.

And before anyone starts recommending exhaust systems, I'm a broke college student but can get a discount on the flowmaster at work and have access to a welder.
Dr. Roger
If you're a real CSOB like me, cruise craigslist for someone who's upgraded their Corvette exhaust system. I think I got 2 muffs, in excellent condition, with pipe for around $40.00.

I chopped off the ends, shortened to fit correctly, removed 3 of the 5 baffles, and welded the ends back on.

The tips are now painted high gloss black.

Sounds sick but not too loud. aktion035.gif Heck, I'm 43. I don't need cops tailing me anymore.

Good luck. Be sure to let us know what you decide and include lots of pics! clap56.gif

Roger

IPB Image
iamchappy
boldblue.gif Getting ready to weld the exhaust tip on after I have the engine back in for the fitting.
GWN7
The V8 car.... super quiet........when I want noise I unbolt the mufflers from the collectors biggrin.gif
alpha434
My car's not pink. It's "Wine Red"!

Lavanaut
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 15 2007, 02:31 PM) *

I have a nice new bursch and it's decent, but I hate the chrome tip...

Oh me too man. happy11.gif

My Triad setup wub.gif

Click to view attachment
pin31
Lavanaut,
I have a Triad too....how did you modify your rear valance (I don't have a rear valance). Did you add the chrome tips?

Tim
degreeoff
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 15 2007, 03:19 PM) *

smile.gif

gonna lop off the third tip....
IPB Image

Why not just add a fourth.... welder.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(pin31 @ Jun 29 2007, 12:33 PM) *

Lavanaut,
I have a Triad too....how did you modify your rear valance (I don't have a rear valance). Did you add the chrome tips?

Tim

Yep, the chrome tips were my addition. As for the valence, in short, like this:

1. Traced the outline of the stock valence opening onto card stock for use as a stencil
2. Traced card stock stencil onto the right side of the valence
3. Cut out valence notch using a dremmel steel cutting wheel
4. Sanded rough edge down, sanded whole valence
5. Repainted black

I took lots of pictures and have been meaning to do a write-up, but haven't gotten around to it. PM me if you wanna know more.

Hey Ferg, based on what you said, the Triad might work well for you out of the box. If you don't want to notch your valence, I believe there's a single tip version available. I LOVE the triad.

Here's a pic before the chrome tips, a little dark but gives the general idea. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Lavanaut
One more, just because when I was trying to make an exhaust decision, I couldn't get enough of pics like these. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
dflesburg
udderly rediculous
RockinOldSchool
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jun 29 2007, 03:07 AM) *

If you're a real CSOB like me, cruise craigslist for someone who's upgraded their Corvette exhaust system. I think I got 2 muffs, in excellent condition, with pipe for around $40.00.

I chopped off the ends, shortened to fit correctly, removed 3 of the 5 baffles, and welded the ends back on.

The tips are now painted high gloss black.

Sounds sick but not too loud. aktion035.gif Heck, I'm 43. I don't need cops tailing me anymore.

I'm not too sure how good that would sound on a near stock 2.0 T4.

Not to mention the piping would be a pain in the ace to hook up to the heat exchangers.
GWN7
uhhhh.....Dr. Roger's has a 5.7
RockinOldSchool
I know. He was suggesting I get vette mufflers for mine. I think he believed I have a V8 conversion.
I was saying the vette mufflers are intended for a SBC and probably wouldn't sound too nice on my 2 liter.
Gint
I like my Triad too, but it's pretty loud with carbs. And Ferg has seen and heard my car with the Triad on it. Ferg's car has carbs also.

Before leaving for the AR, I put a stock muffler on mine. From the driver's seat it sounds great. Decel is really quiet and I could use a little more noise there, but otherwise it's quiet enough but loud enough if you know what I mean.

Ferg,
I don't think you've heard my car since I put the stock muffler on it. You'll have to take it for a spin when you get back form MI.
xitspd
Under full throttle with the sound of (6) 50 MM Pmo's, reminds me of a combat zone..... I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.

Dan
Gint
QUOTE(xitspd @ Jun 30 2007, 07:12 PM) *
Under full throttle with the sound of (6) 50 MM Pmo's, reminds me of a combat zone..... I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.

Dan
What muffler is that? Stainless?
xitspd
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 30 2007, 09:17 PM) *

QUOTE(xitspd @ Jun 30 2007, 07:12 PM) *

Dan
What muffler is that? Stainless?

Gint,

It is a customized M&K for Patrick Motorsports headers. Yes it is stainless polished in San Jacinto, California.

Dan
Ferg
I'm back from MI and did the exhaust mod myself. wife has the camera so no pics yet but maybe somebody will take a shot at my BBQ on the 14th. I ended up taking a hack saw to the bursch and it now looks great. It now points to the side and angled down, and is much shorter and subtle than before.

Ferg biggrin.gif
dekman
"Modified Monty" ( I love big butts!) thumb3d.gif
JPB
If you like loudness, raising the dead, and having neighbours chasing you around the block get Supertraps and Kerry Hunter headers. Not that they are the best or anything but easilly available at swap meets. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.