Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 fuel rail kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
hey! thinking about getting this fuel rail kit...what do you think?

http://www.autoatlanta.net/record_detail.l...FD2&-Search

--JON
TheCabinetmaker
Looks like a 200 dollar fuel pressure gauge to me.
Dr Evil
Ask yourself, "WHY?" If you realy need to throw your money away on usless things then sure, but what benefit will you get from such a contraption? You have a 1.8, if I were you, and I think you want more power, I would save my $$ for a 2.0, or build a larger motor from the one you have. The stock lines in the system are plenty sufficient and a $30 fuel pressure gauge plugs right into the tap on them to tell you the pressure when you need it. The AA ones look neat, but really dont serve any purpose IMHO.

For your motor, the 1.8 can be bored out and cammed to give a nice 130hp for not too much money. That would be a good investment, again, IMHO. YMMV, though.
toon1
that's alot of money for something I can't see as being benificial. the stock inj. have plenty of flow, they are capeable of dispensing huge amounts of fuel compared to the engine requirements.

Heck, for another $200 you could do a MS system
jonferns
excuse my stupidness, but what exactly is megasquirt and how does it work....thanks ---JON
toon1
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ May 15 2007, 04:13 PM) *

excuse my stupidness, but what exactly is megasquirt and how does it work....thanks ---JON

that's not stupiness, if you don't know, you don't know!

Megasquirt is an aftermarket, do it yourself, EFI system. it rplaces the d or l-jet system. It is programable and interfaces with a laptop and you can do realtime tuning(you tune while someone else drives). you can all n 02 sensor that will adust to give proper AFR mixtures

well worth the time and money. BUT, that's my biassed .02
jonferns
what does it involve, as far as installation and total setup are involved...thanks ---JON
jonferns
and what parts exactly will i need....--JON
Dr Evil
It is not for the faint of heart, but it is a good system. I dont have the links to their site, but someone will post them. You can google megasquirt and probably get to their site. Agree, not stupidness, none of us were born knowing all this stuff. Keep asking quesitons!
jonferns
yarin knows about this stuff, right? where is he??? biggrin.gif:D --JON is this system really worth it? what are the gains, etc? --JON
toon1
There are two ways to go for the ECU, prebuilt or build yourself. Assembly time depends on your ability to solder and follow directions.

There are a few different versions of ECU's. the cheapest is MSIV2.2, controles fuel only , can be upgraded to spark with some mods.

you will nedd to build a wire harness, easy to do

adapt a modern TPS( throttle posistion sensor), easy to do

Add a relay board, optonal but recommended

Add an 02 sensor, OPtional but HIGHLY recommended(ask me how I know)

Megasquirt has a web site that explaines whats needed andthere are alot of converts. here.
Rand
This kind of marketing BS bothers me:

"Ever wonder why all of the new Porsches have a big fat fuel rail?? Because it keeps the injectors fed!!!! The original fuel injection system factory installed on 914s was barbaric to today's standards."

So, adding a fat fuel rail to a 914 is upgrading it's "barbaric" FI system? To "today's standards?" Come on. That's pure BS. The injectors are fed by pressure and fattening the rail doesn't help the pressure. That part will not help your car's performance.

Grr. Rant over.

Like the good Dr. Evil said... If you want a fuel gauge, the stock rail has a tit for the cold-start injector that is perfect for installing one.

This product's worth is directly related to your personal value of it's bling factor. Zero to me.
nebreitling
it will do nothing to make your car faster. at all. period.
Brando
I agree with the above comments. Your fuel rail will suffice. It could probably use a dampener though, but that's an addon you could always do later.

I second the MS comments.

And, L-Jet and D-Jet were not barbaric. Still on par with today's standards if well-kept and maintained.
toon1
QUOTE(Brando @ May 15 2007, 07:54 PM) *

I agree with the above comments. Your fuel rail will suffice. It could probably use a dampener though, but that's an addon you could always do later.

And, L-Jet and D-Jet were not barbaric. Still on par with today's standards if well-kept and maintained.

what is a dampener?

By today's standards the d and l jet are archaic( spelling) , not sure if barbaric is the right word. A properly tuned stock FI gets the job done, that's about it. on par with today's standards.........NO. It does not control timing, emisions, have a reset ability, the ability to readjust to changing motor conditions , altitude or the myriad of other things modern EFI does.

For what is was back lin the day, yea! it was great!, really, the only one of it's kind.

I will say this...the ability to last 30+ years AND the fact that you can modge podge together a bunch of parts and get a system to work speaks volumes.

NO offense to anyone biggrin.gif ..........opinions , there like elbows, everybody's got one
Brando
QUOTE(toon1 @ May 15 2007, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Brando @ May 15 2007, 07:54 PM) *

what is a dampener?

By today's standards the d and l jet are archaic( spelling) , not sure if barbaric is the right word. A properly tuned stock FI gets the job done, that's about it. on par with today's standards.........NO. It does not control timing, emisions, have a reset ability, the ability to readjust to changing motor conditions , altitude or the myriad of other things modern EFI does.

For what is was back lin the day, yea! it was great!, really, the only one of it's kind.

I will say this...the ability to last 30+ years AND the fact that you can modge podge together a bunch of parts and get a system to work speaks volumes.

NO offense to anyone biggrin.gif ..........opinions , there like elbows, everybody's got one

Actually, D-Jet and L-Jet do account for altitude and readjust to motor conditions (warmup regulation, load).

Although I will agree that they are quite a bit behind today's technology. Approximately 30 years behind...

Fuel dampener is to counter-act the effect of the pulsation by firing the injectors. As the injectors pulse it can effect fuel pressure in the system.
rhodyguy
i'm pretty sure you'll need a laptop comp to tune the ms. so if you use a pc, factor the cost of a new comp into mix. i sure wouldn't drop 200+s&h on those rails.
buck toenges
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 15 2007, 03:10 PM) *

Ask yourself, "WHY?" If you realy need to throw your money away on usless things then sure, but what benefit will you get from such a contraption? You have a 1.8, if I were you, and I think you want more power, I would save my $$ for a 2.0, or build a larger motor from the one you have. The stock lines in the system are plenty sufficient and a $30 fuel pressure gauge plugs right into the tap on them to tell you the pressure when you need it. The AA ones look neat, but really dont serve any purpose IMHO.

For your motor, the 1.8 can be bored out and cammed to give a nice 130hp for not too much money. That would be a good investment, again, IMHO. YMMV, though.

Can you elaborate on what it takes and and what it costs to get the 130hp 1.8 engine?
Thanks,
Buck
cuca914
agree.gif

Yes good Doctor, I'd be very interested in hearing about how to get 130hp out of a 1.8 for not too much money. Do you have a link for this info? Much appreciated and oh yeah, sorry for the hijacked.gif
nebreitling
nothing special, folks. bore it to a 1.9, cam it up good (+carbs), add compression and a header. heads and headwork would be your biggest expense. you could do half of it with used parts...
yarin
$200!!! forget it!

You are paying for a fuel pressure gauge.

MY word of advice for a new 914 guy... work on all the basic maintinance stuff first, take care of all the safety issues, reliability, etc.

Toon1 described MS using my exact words.. SCARY! go to www.megasquirt.info.

first of all.. once the car is sorted out.. come autocross!!

SirAndy
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ May 15 2007, 03:03 PM) *

what do you think?

WHY ??? confused24.gif
N14
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 15 2007, 04:10 PM) *

How much would something like that cost?
toon1
QUOTE(N14 @ May 16 2007, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 15 2007, 04:10 PM) *

How much would something like that cost?

there is a podcast I just litened to about doing and econo rebuild from Jakes 4th dimention radio show. The link is on the garage main page under" Jakes podcast, anyone got...." it's good

Simple answer about $1500 for 125hp or less, ECONO STYLE.
cuca914
QUOTE(toon1 @ May 16 2007, 11:38 AM) *

there is a podcast I just litened to about doing and econo rebuild from Jakes 4th dimention radio show. The link is on the garage main page under" Jakes podcast, anyone got...." it's good

Simple answer about $1500 for 125hp or less, ECONO STYLE.

Thanks toon1, that helps to get an idea of cost.
Jake Raby
I have used stock rails with PSI fuel pressure to make 190HP.....

Are youmaking 190HP+?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.