Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media blast or chemical stripper in So Cal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
DAPO sprayed Line X type stuff on the inside of my rear trunklid. I called a local media blast/powdercoater in Huntington Beach today and he said he wouldn't touch it. Line X or Rhino stuff wouldn't come off by media blast and he would have to send it out for chemical strip ~$150!

First off, I was able to scrape a bit away with a putty knife. Next I applied a little chemical stripper and it came right off. I'm thinking maybe this isn't really Line X, I figured it would be a lot harder to remove.

Second, I could prolly buy a decklid in decent shape for less locally.

Anyone know of any media blasters in SoCal they'd recommend? Any comments besides I'm a CSOB?

Kev
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(kconway @ May 15 2007, 08:13 PM) *

DAPO sprayed Line X type stuff on the inside of my rear trunklid. I called a local media blast/powdercoater in Huntington Beach today and he said he wouldn't touch it. Line X or Rhino stuff wouldn't come off by media blast and he would have to send it out for chemical strip ~$150!

First off, I was able to scrape a bit away with a putty knife. Next I applied a little chemical stripper and it came right off. I'm thinking maybe this isn't really Line X, I figured it would be a lot harder to remove.

Second, I could prolly buy a decklid in decent shape for less locally.

Anyone know of any media blasters in SoCal they'd recommend? Any comments besides I'm a CSOB?

Kev

If its Line X or Rhinoliner a heat gun will take it off. It will peel in large areas as you apply the heat and pull like removing a decal. I have removed it many times. Bodyshops peel it with heat and remove areas for spot repairs all the time.
Take the deck off and lay it in the sun inside out if you dont have a heat gun. Let it sit for a good hour.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.