Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PDX roll bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
blitZ
I'm interested in participating in my local SCCA PDX events. Apparently, our cars require a roll bar. Where is a good place to get one and what are the specs of the bar? If anyone has pics of their installment, please post.

Thanks
jhadler
Woo Hoo!! boldblue.gif

Another player in the PDX program!

Roll bar requirements for the level 1 events (PDX) are not as stringent as that of higher level events.

===

Level 1 (PDX) -
At Level 1 events, any car that is street legal will be waived
from the roll bar/roll cage requirement, except for Convertibles
and Targa top automobiles. These cars must have either a roll
bar meeting Section 18 of the TTR or a factory hard top using
the factory mounting hardware and mounting points. No
exceptions to this rule allowed. For the purposes of this
determination only, street legal will be defined as a car which
meets local requirements for inspection (if applicable) and the
car in question must possess CURRENT, VALID registration.

If these requirements are not met, then the roll bar
requirement defaults to the rules listed below for Level 2 Time
Trials events.

===

What does this mean??? It means that if you keep your hardtop in place, you can run as-is. If you want to take the hardtop off, you need an SCCA legal roll bar...

If you want to look at the specs, here is the 2006 TTR.

As for decent bars? Autopower makes a pretty good product for the 914. Resaonably affordable, and not too terribly difficult to install.

-Josh2
blitZ
That's how I interpreted the rule. I'm trying to get approval from my local SCCA, no response yet. confused24.gif

Thanks
jhadler
How offical of an approval do you want? There may be supplemental rules that your local region has written that supercede the national rules, but I can tell you that as far as the current TTR goes, keeping the hardtop on will allow you to run as-is at a PDX event. Once you go up to higher level events, the issue becomes a little more complicated though...

As always, a roll bar or cage is a very good idea when taking your car onto the big track, but it is not required for Level 1 (PDX) events so long as you have the factory hard top in place.

As for approval authority?

Ultimately, it's up to the Chief Steward of your event series if there are any supps that will supercede the TTR. But if you want an authoritative ruling...I'm the Divisional Time Trials Program Manager for the Rocky Mountain Division, and a standing member of both the National Time Trials Administrative Council and the National Time Trials Safety Council.

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.