Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slightly OT, I sold my 944S2 on ebay....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
So I sold my water pumper Porsche on ebay. Took a deposit via paypal and the buyer is overnighting me a bank check. Can the buyer put a stop on the bank check? Should I overnight the title, as opposed to sending it with the car?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jasons @ May 16 2007, 08:28 AM) *

So I sold my water pumper Porsche on ebay. Took a deposit via paypal and the buyer is overnighting me a bank check. Can the buyer put a stop on the bank check? Should I overnight the title, as opposed to sending it with the car?

It is not at all unreasonable to make sure his funds are secure in your bank before releasing car or title. Ask your bank about the reversing of the bank check. Let them advise you. They do this every day.
rhcb914
I've bought and sold cars on ebay. I personally would not sign over the title until the check has cleared and the funds were credited to my account. There have been too many scams going on that involve fake bank checks.

If I were to buy or sell another vehicle on ebay I would absolutely use the escrow service.
jasons
QUOTE(rhcb914 @ May 16 2007, 08:59 AM) *

I've bought and sold cars on ebay. I personally would not sign over the title until the check has cleared and the funds were credited to my account. There have been too many scams going on that involve fake bank checks.

If I were to buy or sell another vehicle on ebay I would absolutely use the escrow service.

I didn't even know there was an escrow service. The buyer was/is worried too, that I'm a scammer. I'm sure I would have used that, had I known.
boxstr
This really isn't that big a deal. First off, stay in communication with the buyer. Not doing so will send a deal south so quick. Get a phone number and call the buyer. Put them at ease that the deal is legit, and you will hold up your end of the transaction. Inform the buyer of what you plan to do. You just wait until the check clears at the bank. Personally I use wire transfers, Guaranteed funds.
Never ever send a title with the car, it can get lost. Send it registered or certified. That way the buyer signs for the receipt of the title.
Stay in communication.
The escrow service can be faulty, I won't go into that transaction.
As long as you speak to the buyer and keep them apprised of what is going on they will feel that this is the best thing sionce sliced bread.
If you have to transport the car. Help the buyer "only" by supplying them with names and numbers. Be their when the transport driver arrives and get he car on the trailer. Also, inform the driver of the transport not to leave the key in the on position. Also tell the transport driver of any quuirly things about the car. It make slife easier for everyone.
CCLIN914NATION
boxstr
Get a Stevens-Ness bill of sale, or something similar. In Oregon you can go online and print one out. Fill it out and send it with the title to the buyer.
Speak to the buyer about what they want on the bill of sale. Address, purchaser, etc. This will show the buyer you are working for them and that you have there best interest at heart.
CCLIN914NATION
GaroldShaffer
I agree with Craig. The best thing you can do is talk with the buyer and be up front & honest with them. I recently sold my 911 projects cars, one went to CA the other to FL and I live in Indiana.

I FedEx both a bill of sale. I included a return envelop with a prepaid fedex bill and ask them to sign, make a copy and send me the orginal. Once money cleared the bank I called them and they had the transportation company come pick up the cars. I FedEx them the signed title and spare keys. Very easy and painless I think.
customstarr
I agree with what has been stated thusfar - I've sold a few cars on the bay, mostly to out of state buyers. Communication is key - talk to the buyer and walk through it together. You MUST wait for that check to clear before you make ANY move. I'd go a step further and see if your bank will verify the funds with the issuing bank even before you deposit it. You cannot be too safe with that stuff - everyone here knows that eBay is chocked full of scammers, some not so bright, some that could fool a CIA agent.

You can do things like scan and email the title to show him that you are legit. Just be safe - you'd be surprised the shit that can happen - even when you think that you're thinking smart and covering all of your bases. I've heard some horror stories, and once you fall in, it's hard to come out unscathed.

Let us know how that works out. I see that the buyer has zero feedback, and just joined ebay a few days ago - I'd be cautious. You didn't specify the deposit amount on the auction page - if you don't mind me asking, how much did he send? That can help you reassure yourself if the amount was $500 or more. If it was less, I'd be watching him like a crack whore in a crack store, or crack shoppe, or whatever they call those places.
jasons
We had a lot of conversations before he committed to buy. I knew he was a 0 feedback buyer. We almost made the deal off ebay, but he wanted ebays "protection". He gave me a $500 Paypal deposit, bank check is coming overnight. I really have no doubt he is a good buyer, I just have to know all the possibilities.
914-8
the good thing is, even if you get stiffed for the money, at least the 944 will be gone.
TravisNeff
what are you going to do now, since you sold the 944?
jasons
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ May 17 2007, 10:11 AM) *

what are you going to do now, since you sold the 944?

Either spend most of the money on my house and some on my 914 and or Scout. Or, my wife wants some kind of muscle car. I am looking at 68-72 chrome bumper Vettes, 70's Trans Ams, 69 Mustang Convertibles. Stuff like that. Cars I call the lowest common denominators, because simpletons like them. I tend to like odd cars, myself.

Did I just call my wife a simpleton? huh.gif
TravisNeff
There's always the nash metropolitan or amphicar chairfall.gif

Those cars you listed sound like fun. I'd be all over a 69-70 mustang fastback or an early trans am 70-73
jasons
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ May 17 2007, 11:40 AM) *

Those cars you listed sound like fun. I'd be all over a 69-70 mustang fastback or an early trans am 70-73

Those cars would be ideal, but just out of price range I think. I'm looking in the $10k to $15k range. Something (mostly) turnkey and kind of a sleeper in value. Nice chrome bumper vettes can still be had for that. Not the big blocks but the 350 cars. Maybe, if I look hard I could find a decent Mach 1 clone for that. I know a guy with a 69 mustang vert that I might be able to pry out of his hands. The 6.6 TA's can be found in pretty original condition in that price range.

Old American cars have just gotten so out of hand. (Thanks to Craig Jackson) I owned a really nice restored 65 Mustang fastback about 10-12 years ago when I really couldn't afford it. I couldn't give that car away for $10k. Now I couldn't touch the same car for less than $20k.
jasons
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ May 17 2007, 12:28 PM) *

CALIFORNIA HERE WE COME!!!!! Seriously, I might have to make a memorial day weekend in SoCal. That or I'm going to the next Pomona swap. Thats probably the ticket to an affordable 69 Fastback.
TravisNeff
What an instigator I am, lol.

There is a 67 camaro convertible in autotrader, which looks really nice for 13.9k in Texas. 6 cyl and a 2sp powerglide(that's why it is so cheap)

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.co.../1/88926331.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.