Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UUUUUGGGGHHHHHH! Tranny broke on first drive!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
army dude
So,

I get home from Iraq, my second tour, and I install some of the goodies I bought while over there and then wash it. Being Friday Night I wanted to take it out to cruise around and as I get out of the driveway putting it in first I hear this incredible BANG!! Car won't go forward anymore and I have all sorts of metal banging noise in the trany when I try to engage the clutch and when I release it.

Being the psychic that I am, or psychotic, I know that the tranny is toast. SO, now I am looking for a 930 tranny and can not for the life of me remember the companies that are out there that have been used before. I think most of them are on the left coast but any help here would be greatly welcome. Any help here would be great and I already have an ad in the classifieds.

Thanx in advance for any help ya'll!! wavey.gif

Ian, in Ft Bragg, North Carolina
Justinp71
What engine are you running?
Marlow
Maybe you busted a CV joint and the axle is flopping around?
PRS914-6
Try Carquip. They have treated me pretty good.
army dude
California smog controlled mid 80's chevy v8, stock. Plans are to build a motor with around 420-450 horse and great torque. I have a Kieth Black 350 block, virgin, just waiting to have go fast stuff put in. This will be put on the Renegade conversion that is already in the car by po.
army dude
Everything under the car is tight and bolted, no broken stuff there.
Jeffs9146
Sounds like a clutch, clutch plate or TO Bearing! confused24.gif

race914
Try PowerHaus II in Boulder, CO

They just treated me right for a 901 GA mainshaft...

And BTW WELCOME BACK!!! beer.gif
army dude
Where is all the v8 guys? Hey, anybody want to sell me their 930 trany?? Maybe you might even want to donate it to me in case it is taking up too much space?? I'll send ya some Iraqi money?!!
Justinp71
From what I remember, alot of people including renegade suggest using the 901 and removing the 1st gear.

I guess your point is how good will it hold up to a 420hp engine, but remember that motor makes most of its hp at high rpm. I have a 430hp 350 in my chevelle, that is a fun motor, it must be crazy fast in a 914. biggrin.gif

Its a complete roller motor, but it still doesn't touch revving a flat 6.
drive-ability
Hey,
As mentioned, 1st gear is for parking lot type driving. If you put any torque on first it will shatter. I'm no expert but have read a ton along these lines. The 901 works for a lot of guys if you go easy while shifting and keep it around 300 hp. Sorry to here this, but we are real happy you made it home safe!!!!! My transmission (930) had the gears flipped inside, but you can run the factory 930 turned over (up side down). I think lots of guys do, you have to deal with the oiling issues that way but I would go that way if I had to do it again (my car came with the trans pre built that way).
I'm sure more guys will chime in soon.. smile.gif
byndbad914
There are so many good kits for the 915 and conversions for solid shift linkage and nice aftermarket shifters, I would just go with one of those for under 450HP or 425ft-lbs V8. I only went 930 because I have a rippin' 353cube engine with over 500HP. The cores are easier to find too. I would try to get a junker for dirt cheap and then put some money in gear sets to make that trans more V8 friendly.

BTW, when I bought the 914 I hacked up for the tube car, the trans had a huge hole in the back where a PO launched either first or reverse gear right out the top of it with the stock T4. I have no idea what the hell he did but those gears are quite weak.
Dr Evil
Sorry to hear this. I dont have any links to 930 trannies that I know of, if I find one I will let you know.
propricer
Have a 77 ( short ) 930 with stock gears and factory LSD. Bought it to put in my V8 but decided to stay with my 901 which, now that I have an H 5th, was a much better decision - I'm only running about 300HP !!!

If you're committed to over 400 HP, a 901 just won't last long enough and a 915 is just not geared properly for a V8.
Appears you have 3 choices ... downgrade the 400HP closer to 300HP ... build a 302 type engine at 400HP and take your chances with a 901 ... stick in a 930.

My 930 was opened for inspection and never bothered to glue it back together so it is ready for R&P flip and / or PPI.

If interested, send me an email ( ed.ducey@gmail.com )
bondo
Switching to a 930 trans is not trivial. You'll need a new flywheel and clucth, new axles/CVs, and maybe even a new adapter plate. You'll also need to figure out how to mount and shift it. Add that on top of a $1000 minimum cost of trans (core/unknown pricing) and you're looking at lots of $$$ and lots of down time.

Here's what I suggest:

Take the tail cover off the trans and clean out whatever broke. Put it back together, and run it as a 4 speed, using 2nd as first. You should be able to do that in an afternoon. smile.gif
Dr Evil
Ah, I read it as he already HAD a 930. Ya, if you just destroyed 1st, do as bondo says and see if it is salvageable. If you want, you can send me the stack. Turn arround on a stack is pretty fast and I have spare parts and can convert it to a locked out 1st gear. Let me know if I can help.
army dude
I have been looking at doing the 930 upgrade since I got the car and don't want to build something that might break soon. I know that "soon" is a realative word. Anywho, I want to build something once and do it right. I do appreciate the ideas though!! I really want to thank ya for all of your input!!

Ed, I sent ya an email.

Also, I have recently had surgery for an injury from over there , well, I am unable to lift anything over ten pounds for another 2 months. So trying to drop the engine pack would really be trying for me but I figure to get this 930, build it right, buy the other stuff I need and hopefully by Nov or Dec I can get it started.

I will be standing by for more advice!!

Ian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.