Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody Media Blast the Rear Trunk Lid?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I took my rear trunklid to a powdercoater/sandblasting outfit to see if he will strip the paint from my trunklid. He tells me he won't touch it because it will warp..."too much heat generated during blasting".

I think he doesn't want to bother with what would probably be a small job. But I'm no expert, in fact; I've never had anything media blasted.

Anybody done this before and had problems?

Kev
Eric_Shea
Not enough heat is generated from blasting to warp anything... many articles on it, both here and Google.

Too much pressure will.

He needs to know how to do it. Lower pressure and from the side.
PRS914-6
Without getting into the "details", I think you are asking if it is possible to warp the deck lids using media blasting and the answer is yes. If the guy does not have confidence, take it to someone else who has the experience.

My entire car was media blasted by a reliable guy. I watched him blast the lettering off a cigarette without tearing the paper (no kidding). The results are all in the hands of the blaster and the media.
Gint
agree.gif on all counts.

Blasting can and will warp a lid if it isn't done properly. And if this guy thinks it will warp, them he probably doesn't have the ability to do it properly. Take it to someone that does.

The rear decklid for my /6 was media blasted. And it now looks very nice.
rhodyguy
no doubt he has ruined parts before with a heavy hand and the pressure turned way up to do the job fast. keep looking.

k
kconway
Can anybody in SoCal recommend a shop?
2-OH!
Just do not chemical dip the trunk lids, the solution does not come out of the foam in the supports and will rust through almost before the paint dries...

Ask me how I know (two times)...

2-OH!
kconway
QUOTE(2-OH! @ May 16 2007, 04:09 PM) *

Just do not chemical dip the trunk lids, the solution does not come out of the foam in the supports and will rust through almost before the paint dries...

Ask me how I know (two times)...

2-OH!

Whoa, good to know. Was heading in that direction!

Thanks! thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.