Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog light grill color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Slider
I have a 72 914 with the appearance package and the grilles that surround the fog lights have been painted black and that paint is chipping back to the natural metal. i want to fix it so what is the rule with these grilles are they suppose to be black or silver or natural metal?

thanks
Chris
1970 Neun vierzehn
Chris.... welcome.png

Here's a picture of our knowledgeable CW moderator, Pat Garvey, detailing his '72/4 w/appearance group. Note the F/L grilles are silver. I'm assuming that for 1972 model year 914s, the silver color was impregnated into the casting, rather than painted. Pat will probably know for certain.
davep
Grilles were either black or chrome plated. The base plastic is a white color most times, at least on the chrome. I have seen few black ones and have never cut them to see if they are solid black plastic or painted.
jonferns
i have a '74 1.8...no fogs....what color should the grills be??? they are black now, but look scruffy....--JON
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ May 17 2007, 02:52 PM) *

Grilles were either black or chrome plated. The base plastic is a white color most times, at least on the chrome. I have seen few black ones and have never cut them to see if they are solid black plastic or painted.

Agree. Also, I read somewhere that some of the very early grills were actually potmetal, not plastic. But, these were VERY early.

Naberhause, you have a pretty early 914 - are yours plastic or metal? I'd bet metal.
Slider
it shows how close of a look that i had with the grilles i thought they were metal.. since Pat Garvey's 72 had them silver and mine is a 72 also with the appearance package i will restore them back to silver.
Bleyseng
They are chrome or painted black. aktion035.gif
scotty b
Yes some of the VERY early ones were potmetal like the early 911 grills. I have seen exactly 1 of them. A pair of those would definitely qualify as RARE on E-bay smile.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 21 2007, 07:22 PM) *

Yes some of the VERY early ones were potmetal like the early 911 grills. I have seen exactly 1 of them. A pair of those would definitely qualify as RARE on E-bay smile.gif

And VERY much worth the cost of replating, if necessary!

As much as I'd love to have some (yeah, like they're common), they sure wouldn't be right on my '72. Wouldn't stop me from snappin' 'em up though.
fitsbain
I'd have to look but it seems to me that the set I bought are metal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.