Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing 911 Flag Mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
Got some flag mirrors I'd like to mount. I don't yet have the securing plates, but was wondering what kind of holes/hole pattern is required to mount them? Photos anyone?

Thanks,

Andys
craig downs
You should do a search there have been a couple of threads about the install with
measurement and pics
andys
QUOTE(craig downs @ May 17 2007, 02:42 PM) *

You should do a search there have been a couple of threads about the install with
measurement and pics

I found the one thread that has the measurements as to placement. I was looking for the actual hole(s) required to mount them....or maybe I missed something?

Andys
markb
I used the backing plate as a reference. I put blue tape on the door, found where on the door I wanted the mirror, and traced the backing plate as a pattern. Then I drilled the holes. It worked well for me. I've only done the drivers side, I'm not sure of the placement on the passenger side. I'd like to be able to see the mirror through the windwing if I can.
Dr Evil
Make sure the car is on a level surface if you are gonna alter the measurements at all. I didnt, and my mirrors are lop sided dry.gif Its funny, you can laugh. I installed them with one side of the car up on jack stands, using a level, nobody is perfect blink.gif
Elliot Cannon
Find a 911 with the mirrors removed. I removed the mirrors on my 911, placed a blank sheet of white paper over the holes and rubbed a pencil back and forth. It will show you exactly where the holes should be.

Cheers, Elliot
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 17 2007, 04:35 PM) *

Make sure the car is on a level surface if you are gonna alter the measurements at all. I didnt, and my mirrors are lop sided dry.gif Its funny, you can laugh. I installed them with one side of the car up on jack stands, using a level, nobody is perfect blink.gif

av-943.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 17 2007, 09:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 17 2007, 04:35 PM) *

av-943.gif

Dude, you gotta show us...come on...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Dr Evil
I cant get a good example of them until the car is able to pull out of the garage. Its too impacted (like a turd) in there.

No shit, the drivers is tilted down and the passengers is tilted up. It sucks and I dont know how I am going to fix it. rolleyes.gif Weld, repaint, what ever...

I cant seem to do anything easy but make bolts and rebuild trannys while in med school.
dgw
Sorry for the thread hijack, but i have a couple of guards red flag mirrors for sale if anyone is interested.

hijacked.gif
old9one4
Click to view attachment[font=Century Gothic][size=7]Here is a picture from my installation of flag mirrors.

Once location is set I use the backing plate for a hole template. The top of the plate is 2 inches below the window and you can see the relationship to the old mirror hole for location as well.

I attached the plate with the screws through the door. Fill sand prime and attach mirror.

If my ID photo came out correctly the finished install should be there.

I can send more detail & pics by e-mail.

Nelson

old9one4
Sorry pictures not downloading e-mail me at darnel@pacbell.net if you want more info.
Nelson
old9one4
I think I got it the picture thing that is.

In order
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mirror switches in door, looks like it was always there!
Click to view attachment
and the finished install
Click to view attachment

The mirrors I used were 911 SC 1993 they will require some grinding on the base to match door curve and the backing plate will need to be bent to match curve of door as well.

Good luck with this,

Nelson
andys
Thanks Nelson! That's what I was looking for. I too have 1993 mirrors to install, so this is good stuff. You did a nice job!

Andys
Elliot Cannon
Where can I get those backing plates?
por73914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 17 2007, 07:35 PM) *

I know I am new here but that is one of the funniest things I have heard! av-943.gif
Dr Evil
Its funny....now.

Elyut - call GPR if you cant find them on the catalog. Pelican probably hasem too
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 18 2007, 04:30 PM) *

Its funny....now.

Elyut - call GPR if you cant find them on the catalog. Pelican probably hasem too

How far off are your mirrors?
Use a tape measure and measure from the window to the top of the mounting bracket.

Is there a way to move one up a little, and move the other one down a little to make up the difference?

If so, and you can cover the holes, I can find out the special jell substance that allows you to weld right next to the painted area.

It keeps the heat from making the paint bubble.
If you get antsy, the jell can be had at a good welding supply store.

If you can wait till monday, I will go ask the hot rod shop down the road.
I watched him use it, and it was amazing...he tigged 1/8 from finished paint.
He was nervous, and told me that it does not always work, but if you use a mig, it creates less heat.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.