Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installing rear window to engine lid seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmmotorsports
I am going to replace the door window scrapers and the rear window to engine lid seal and would like to what lube is working best.

Jerry
r_towle
The window rubbers will slide right in, but if you want talcum powder is the best.

The one under the rear window is pushed on horizontal from the rear.
Take off the lid, cant do it any other way.
The new one should have a metal strip inside.
It needs no lube, push it on and I tap it with a rubber mallet to make sure its all on straight.

Rich
rhodyguy
glycerin works well too. you can find little bottles of it at most any drug store. load the chanel for the squeegee and the portion that slides in. after you get the squeegees in, let them rest overnight, at a minimum, before you do any trimming. they usually stretch a bit and will return to their normal length. trim before they rest and they might windup too short. the glycerin is a good perservative for all your seals.

k
2-OH!
I'll tell you how I do it, but don't tell anyone cause' they will make fun of me...

For the seals that slide into channels or tracks, I use cooking oil...Just pour some into a small cup, Q-tip it into the channels real good and on the rubber...Then slide em' in...

Works great, doesn't attack the rubber over time, readily available, cheap, washes off the car paint and you probably already got some in your kitchen...Doesn't matter about low fat, corn, vegetable or Low Trans Fat, etc...Just works really well...

And if you get stuck somewhere, you can always make french fries...

Window to engine lid seal just pushes on as described above...

2-OH!
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 17 2007, 06:40 PM) *

It needs no lube, push it on and I tap it with a rubber mallet to make sure its all on straight.

agree.gif just did that a few days ago. no lube needed ...

smash.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.