Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint removal HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TurtleGirl
So....

Acetone works great on the galvanized parts. I can't seem to get through the clear coat on the wiper motor arm thingies to remove the paint. It's removed from the car, and besides just shooting the painter (which still is an option) How do I get this stuff off? I'm on Joe's computer, so I don't have a picture...

Any ideas would be great.

I have...
Acetone
Dish soap smile.gif
Mineral Spirits
100% Virgin Solvents (which sounds fun and all...)

Any Suggestions?
TurtleGirl
Thought of something...
go to 914rs.com and you can see me working on this crud... If'n you feel like insulting my painter, feel free.
BahnBrenner914
Are the arm deals you're talking about plastic?

When I painted my 914, I used chemical stripper that would take paint off anything (as well as the skin off your hands) maybe a little of that (or diluted) could be enough to scrub it off. Too much and it'll probably just eat the parts.
r_towle
combo
paint remover (spray type) and leave it on while you watch...gotta stick with it..dont let it sit to long.

then go for goof off ( I love it, no idea whats in it...but it does work)

Acetone is good for some things, miniral spirits, alchohol, and try Coke, it does clean some things.

I am not sure what the real issue is, you have clear coat and paint on the wiper arms?

Rich
r_towle
try this also if that is the part I am looking at (cool BTW)
Smile for the camera

Take a butter knife from the kitchen, then are nice and strong and not to sharp.

Use it like a draw knife and scape it off, but be gentle not to scrape the metal, just drag it lightly, and apply more pressure each time.

Rich
TurtleGirl
Maybe if I soak a towel in solvent and wrap the arm, I can scrape it off with the knife. i'll give it a try. Thanks guys!!!!!
r_towle
I have one more idea...and it will actually work.

Move all the chemical first.

Get the butter knife and some steel wool, and a propane torch, or a heat gun

Melt it off, just go slow and gentle, use the steel wool and butter knife to get the paint off, just use the heat to melt it...

Remember, this area was not prepped and not cleaned, so it should not be on there as well as the real paint..I hope.

Rich
r_towle
This is amazing, I feel like I am working, but I get to be a voyeur instead and work vicariously....to funny.

Rich
TurtleGirl
ok... i"m going to try the solvent "soak" first... then I will REMOVE all chemical before I apply heat to it!

Ummm... Joe? I'm sorry I burnt down your garage 8 days before the Atomic Ramble!
r_towle
You dont by any chance have one of those 3m paint stripping pads that go on a drill or grinder???

Those are fast, and you could be kicking back in about two minutes if that is all that you are doing...

Rich
TurtleGirl
Rich! You are my hero!!!!

Thank you!!!
r_towle
think like I just gave you beads at Mardi Gras....

Good luck with the detailed work, I did not think that anyone could see that part....I will go look at mine tommorow...must have been bothering you alot...

Rich
TurtleGirl
Yup. It was blue, and staring at me from under that grill.... Just another reason to be dissatisfied with the "best painter in New Mexico"

Whatever.

Thanks again Rich. Worked great!
TravisNeff
Good deal, overspray clay bars work well too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.