Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Used Springs ID
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I got a set of springs off of a parts car could you tell me what you think the Lbs are.
They are painted gold and the wire is just under .100 thicker than stock springs. They are shorter then the stock springs, almost an inch shorter than the spring (bilstiens, set half way on the tire) perch. They are from the late ‘80’s.

If you jack up the car they come off the perch, I try to remember to center them when I let down the car. I have forgotten to do this and they go ping when they seat themselves, is this normal and OK?
Brad Roberts
Drill two holes in the top black plate and run zip ties through it and around the springs. This will keep them from not seating in the top perch (you cant see it from underneath the car) This prevent that "ping" as they seat. We had a lot of trouble with the race cars until I started zip tying the springs. This will work for anybody running a lowered spring. I see a lot of lopsided cars running around "but I put new springs under it"... I say ... I know.. one of them didnt seat.

I'll be honest: You have to measure that spring on a spring tester to figure out what it is. So many people make springs... it is hard to tell what they are.

B
J P Stein
I did the zip tie trick this last weekend.

I have a set of 140lb springs, excellent condition, for half the price of new, if anyone is interested.
Gint
JP,

I'll take 'em off your hands.

EDIT:

Maybe. Lemme look at something when I get home. 'Bout 3-4 hours from now.
Mark Henry
The zip tie trick sounds slick! Thanks Brad. biggrin.gif

Would a spring shop have a spring tester?
I’m thinking (guessing) that these are 140lbs. springs. I put them on at the end of last season and they really stiffened up the rear end but they didn’t feel too harsh for daily driving.
Brad Roberts
I'm not sure where you would go to have the springs tested. I havent bought a set that wherent marked in years.

The zip tie trick helps a lot with these lowered springs.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.