Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting on rear Suspension Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Began the next project now that I'm ignoring the rest of the rust. New rear bushing, bearings, Koni yellows and springs. Started dealing with the bushings. Truely a bitch to remove. I burned the rubber then dug at it with an awl, then burned, then dug, then burned, then dug, then hammered. smash.gif Couple hours an arm.

What I started with
DNHunt
Cleaned up the old paint and rust. (Couldn't ignore it all)
DNHunt
Trial fit the bushings and added Zerk fittings
DNHunt
Outboard Zerk fittings
DNHunt
Cut approx. 1/8 X 1/32 inch grooves in the bushings for grease to disperse through.
DNHunt
Painted the control arms with 2 coats of Por 15. (Love that stuff) I'll freeze the hubs tonight and press on the bushings tomorrow.

Dave
maf914
Dave,

Looks good. How did you get them so clean? Do you have access to a sand/media blaster?

Mike
DNHunt
Grinder with Scotchbrite pads and various wire wheels in my drill. Time and elbow grease. Took about an hour and a half for each. I suppose sand blasting them would have cost maybe $25 (just a guess). So my labor was getting pretty close to minimum wage. I must be nuts.

When I got done and came in, the wife and kid's laughed their heads off cause I looked like an old coal miner.

Dave
redshift
They do look good, and you are insane.

I'll pay you $9/hr to work on my car any day you feel like it, you are good!

M
Gint
You need your own blast cabinet. You did a nice job though without it.
Gint
Control arm
fiid
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 8 2003, 03:41 PM)
You need your own blast cabinet.

You suck. LOL boldblue.gif Nice work. clap56.gif
seanery
How big of a cabinet do you need gint?
Gint
Not very. Mine is the larger floor model Harbor Freight unit. Let me measure...
Gint
34" L x 22" D x 14" T (at the front) x 18" T (at the rear). I can easily fit a 15x6 Fuch in it.
DNHunt
Man that is cool. My budget is shot though so I do whatever I can myself for Burger King wages. Still, that blast cabinet is in my dreams.

Dave
DNHunt
Finished rear bearings and new bushings this morning. Went real smooth.

The whale snot they use for bushing grease is really nasty, very thick and tacky. Not fun stuff

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.