Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pre '75 bumper pads Where to buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bembry
Any good recommendations on where to buy the front and rear bumper pads (rubber tops) for pre 75 914s? Before my Navy time 10 years ago, when I was working on my 914, these were generally available from most places at around 200$ apeice. Now that I'm getting going on my car again, I just see a lot of "NLA" or 500$ + apeice.

Am I just screwed now? Is it going to cost me 1000$ to get my bumpers looking good? Yikes. . . any recommendations appreciated. blink.gif

Brent

73 2.0 in Light Ivory

ptravnic
Wow, I had a price point of about $300 in my mind. Pelican is $500+, GTperformance.com is $445. AutoAtlanta has a non OEM for $350. I used to see new units on ebay a couple years ago for the mid to upper $200 range.

Keep me posted if you don't mind - I would be willing to get on a group buy for at least one set (maybe 2) at the right price.

-pt
Coy
I bought a set of fiberglass replacements for about $300 off Ebay and was able to kind of make them work. They look much better than nothing, but they still aren't a perfect fit even after I improved their fit. I had to oval out the bolt holes in my bumper and grind the front lip off the fiberglass piece to make it fit (kind of) but it's still kind of wavey. RoninEclipse2G on the board here was tossing around the notion of making fiberglass pieces and selling them for around $100 ea. I hope he does, because I think alot of us would line up to get a good fitting set for that price.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ptravnic @ May 20 2007, 08:00 AM) *

Wow, I had a price point of about $300 in my mind. Pelican is $500+, GTperformance.com is $445. AutoAtlanta has a non OEM for $350. I used to see new units on ebay a couple years ago for the mid to upper $200 range.

Keep me posted if you don't mind - I would be willing to get on a group buy for at least one set (maybe 2) at the right price.

-pt

the ones we sell are oem for the rear and genuine for the front. Hurry they may not last as our sources are drying up!!!! Too bad no one is taking it upon themselves to duplicate the originals
Bartlett 914

the ones we sell are oem for the rear and genuine for the front. Hurry they may not last as our sources are drying up!!!! Too bad no one is taking it upon themselves to duplicate the originals

What is the difference between Genuine and OEM?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 21 2007, 06:37 AM) *

What is the difference between Genuine and OEM?

The same except for one being repackaged in a Porsche box The parts are made at the same place in Germany.
Dominic
The rear one is readily available, call around (Hennessy Porsche and Stoddard)and see if you can beat this price:

http://www.foreignautomotiveparts.com/epcv...automotiveparts

GWN7

[/quote]
[/quote]

Actually I am.......started working on them last year. They will have a stainless steel insert instead of the steel one the originals have.

The reason the pads go bad is water gets up inside the core of the bumper thru the holes where the mounting bolts stick thru. The original manufacture used plastic plugs which don't keep the water out. The water sits inside the bumper and rusts the metal strip the bolts are attached to. It then turns "crunchy" and then starts to look wavey, then your pads fall off.

If you have bumper pads in good shape I would suggest sealing the area around the bolts to lessen water getting in.

Props go to Joe Sharp for sending me old pads to take apart for this project.
John
My solution is to not get them wet. (other than washing)

P.S. What happened to the quoting codes?
ptravnic
QUOTE(Dominic @ May 21 2007, 10:05 PM) *

The rear one is readily available, call around (Hennessy Porsche and Stoddard)and see if you can beat this price:

http://www.foreignautomotiveparts.com/epcv...automotiveparts

Thanks for the link - I'll be buying at least one at this price ($261.83) unless another vendor has em cheaper...

-pt
GWN7
QUOTE(John @ May 21 2007, 07:39 PM) *

My solution is to not get them wet. (other than washing)

How do you think they get wet inside? biggrin.gif It dosen't rain up beerchug.gif
bembry
[quote name='GWN7' date='May 21 2007, 06:55 PM' post='903447']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Actually I am.......started working on them last year. They will have a stainless steel insert instead of the steel one the originals have.

The reason the pads go bad is water gets up inside the core of the bumper thru the holes where the mounting bolts stick thru. The original manufacture used plastic plugs which don't keep the water out. The water sits inside the bumper and rusts the metal strip the bolts are attached to. It then turns "crunchy" and then starts to look wavey, then your pads fall off.

If you have bumper pads in good shape I would suggest sealing the area around the bolts to lessen water getting in.

[/quote]

Please keep us up on progress on the new pads---very interesting!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
GWN7
Not much to report......been a lot of down time due to my spraining my wrist. Hard to do anything with one wing. There are 16 lbs of clay used so far in the mock up for this one. It will take another 5 lbs to finish this step. Then I have to build the mold box, make the base of the mold, then the mold cap and then it's ready to go.
Katmanken
Nooooooo!!!!!

You didn't cut up Gumby!

Say it ain't so!!!!

Ken
914rrr
Any updates on sources for OEM, repro or fiberglass bumper tops?
DEC
QUOTE(914rrr @ Jun 29 2007, 09:26 AM) *

ask your Porsche dealer
available in Europe (Germany) today

Price is 294€ ~ $397

ptravnic
I bought the rear from the source listed above. Came within about a week, seems to be high quality - rather stiff.

-pt
914rrr
QUOTE(DEC @ Jun 29 2007, 09:49 AM) *

ask your Porsche dealer

Price is 294€ ~ $397

Does this indicate that the bumper tops are coming back into the supply pipeline? Or does Germany have 'left over' inventory?
SGB
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jun 29 2007, 09:17 AM) *

I bought the rear from the source listed above. Came within about a week, seems to be high quality - rather stiff.

-pt

Is it smooth or slightly nubby texture? I am pretty sure either the front pad (its sorta rough textured) OR rear pad (it is completely smooth) isn't OEM.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
[quote name='GWN7' date='May 21 2007, 07:55 PM' post='903447']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I am very happy that you took this on. Very important though to be an exact duplicae of the factory part of course!!!!!
ptravnic
QUOTE(SGB @ Jun 29 2007, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jun 29 2007, 09:17 AM) *

-pt

Is it smooth or slightly nubby texture? I am pretty sure either the front pad (its sorta rough textured) OR rear pad (it is completely smooth) isn't OEM.

It's smooth. If you wanted to you could prob dig a fingernail into it with some force & scratch it. I'm not concerned w/OEM, original, NOS, etc. I just wanted to replace my saggy & rotten old one.
DEC
QUOTE(914rrr @ Jun 29 2007, 04:42 PM) *

ask your Porsche dealer

Price is 294€ ~ $397

Does this indicate that the bumper tops are coming back into the supply pipeline? Or does Germany have 'left over' inventory?

I think.
My Dealer told me, that the pad is coming next week.
I will give you an update if it real comes
michaelt55
mine came..great quality...looks good.

Michael
RoninEclipse2G
I am still working on making a fiberglass replacement. Development is a PITA right now as I am poor. I just got some more cupplies for the base plug, hopefully enough to get a good fit up to the car, then it's just molding it and knocking out new ones. Estimated weight on these is in the 3-5# range when I'm done BTW
DEC
QUOTE(DEC @ Jun 30 2007, 12:04 AM) *

ask your Porsche dealer

Price is 294€ ~ $397

I think.

Today I got call from my Porsche dealer thats my bumper top is
arrived.
About my question for the general availability he told me thats more as
hundred are in stock at Porsche.
914rrr
QUOTE(DEC @ Jul 6 2007, 06:47 AM) *

QUOTE(DEC @ Jun 30 2007, 12:04 AM) *

ask your Porsche dealer

Price is 294€ ~ $397

I think.

Today I got call from my Porsche dealer thats my bumper top is
arrived.
About my question for the general availability he told me thats more as
hundred are in Stock at Porsche.

Soooo.... if the front bumper tops are indeed coming, who would be the best / cheapest Porsche dealer to buy them from? idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.