Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toeing on all four wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
JPB
I have been playing with my wheels and wondered if you have a preffered setting. I'm using the old string line method. I have 1/4 inch inwards at the front but what about the back. I hear that a 1/4 inch toe on each back wheel is good for corners and wondered if some of you have experimented? Whats your favorit setting. I want to AX and dirve on the street. THNX yall.
Dave_Darling
Toe-in at the back--always. I tried toe-out at the back, it was... ummm... exciting. Surprisingly controllable, most of the time.

1/4" sounds like a lot. I think I've got either 1/8" or 1/16" toe-in at the rear, and a similar amount of toe-out at the front. Front toe-out makes for better initial turn-in, but makes the car "twitchy". Rear toe-out makes the car unpredictably tail-happy.

--DD
JPB
Thank you. I will try it right now bud. beer.gif
J P Stein
I run 0 toe, both ends. You doan wanna go over 100mph with this set up.
woobn8r
I ran zero toe on the rear and 1/8 toe at the front on my race car and my street car.
Joe Ricard
Autocross is 1/4" total toe out (1/8" each wheel) measured on a 15" wheel.
Rear is 1/8" total toe in.
over 100 change the front to 1/8" total toe in.
JPB
Sounds good all a yall. beer.gif
blitZ
I have 1/16 toe in all around for street and AX, works very well.
Joe Ricard
SO really it's up to you.
Try an agressive alignment and then make up your own mind.
JPB
As of right now, I broke two of the three bolts on the rear driver's side arm and have to get the rest of them broken ones out of the top part. No alignmant happening except the front is done. sad.gif
woobn8r
Our main track around here is Mosport...a fast 10 corner (all blind apex) track with a great amount of relief (elevetion changes)...track has seen f1, can-am, IMSA, ALMS, Trans-Am, Cascar, etc...

It's a speed and momentum track with a great long uphill strightaway...

We found with our HP challenged cars (4cyl), that any rear toe really hurt top speed measured up the straight....by deduction it would follow that it hurt speed in all straights.....

So you must ascertain what track you are competing on, then weigh the advantage gained by increased toe in the corners (and how much) vs. the speed penalties over the remainder of the track. Do you need that extra turn in? I don't know a racer that couldn't use the extra speed....

Try both alignments (and increments between) on a test day and see which yeilds the best lap time...then you have your own custom answer.

Have fun,
Sean

Just re-read your post...during A/X you may wish to use some rear toe 1/16 - 1/8 due to lower speeds and tight slow corners...
sww914
I don't do any autocrossing, I run 1/8" toe in per side in the front, and a hair more in the back, like the other side of the 1/8" line on the yardstick.
It makes the car feel more stable over bumpy sections and in heavy braking, to me.
JPB
Wow, didn't expect such a difference in answers heeeeya. Custom toeing you say idea.gif
woobn8r
QUOTE(JPB @ May 25 2007, 03:23 PM) *

Wow, didn't expect such a difference in answers heeeeya. Custom toeing you say idea.gif

Oh...I thought we were talking about "camel toe"....
...better left in the sandbox I think....
914forme
What are you running for bushings?

That will determine your toe numbers more than setting them with a string and calling it done. Unless you are setting them with force applied in the proper planes.

I run 1/16th in front zero in back. Solid metal all around and rollers. Even with force applied they stay that way. And lots of chassis re-enforcements. If you got stock rubber, plastic, or even poly bronze you will have a variance you need to take into account.

Thou I can't say right now how it works on the new setup. It is finally off the stands and the two halfs are once again a whole.
JPB
Camel toeing of any denomination is always welcome bro. I just Sea Foamed my other bolts and will have to cut two welded nuts tommorrow and install new ones on the driver's side. Hope the rest of them will break off easilly tommorrow as oppose to snap at the shank like the last two did headbang.gif

Wishen me der lucktight beer.gif
JPB
Sea foamed the other bolts and bingo! headbang.gif I drilled the other two out from the bottom up through a total of 4" of broken bolt. Them blue 500F shavings will eat your ass up. The toeing is close to good and will get pros to get all four wheels perfect. I'm thinking of going 1/8th inch in on each wheel for excessive cornering. Isa gonna AX my ass off when the rooster crows; or at least try. biggrin.gif
914forme
Most pros can't wipe their butts with out F'in up your alignment. Pick who you call pro closely they are few and far between. I have 4 with in 150 miles of me that I would let align my car.

1, Myself
2, A buddy of mine who does it just like I do.
3, A guy in Fairborn Ohio, works at he goodyear store, excellent.
4, much farther away, but Bill Braucksick's Performance Alignment is the only place I would let touch my 914 - He does Audis R8 and R10 alignments here state side. To name just a few.

Tire jocky at the local tire shop forget it, I can do a better job with string, a tape measure, and a framing sqaure. Thou I have now moved up to an digital level. Acurate to .001 of an inch. That is close enough for me. I am thinking about using the laser built into the level to set toe with also, but keep going back to the simple string method.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.