Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2-OH!
Getting ready for paint...

But the Chrome trim ring around the outside windshield is smarter than me...

How do I get it off without destroying it...

2-OH!
Malmz
I made a tool I use that slips under the chrome and pops it up from the clip side. It's essentially a thin lever just made out of an old bracket put in a vice and hammered over slightly. Takes it off w/o any trouble. They key is to place it under the trim right where the clips are or you will distort the chrome. You can slide it along and feel where the trim is tighter, and that is where the clips are.

Regardless, if you are reinstalling the chrome, you will need new clips if you want it secure.

You can also go the more modern rubber route.
Malmz
Rubber trim link:

http://malmz.com/signatur/914widebody/wind...dshieldtrim.htm

In hindsight, make sure you leave extra length. I have about a quarter inch gap at the seem (bottom center of the window) due to shrinkage, so make sure you have some extra length in there and it is pushing against itself.

sm
Gint
Nice write up Steve. I don't remember seeing it. Still have the white V8?
Malmz
Yup, still have it. Been contemplating again what to do... If I drove it more I would be more motivated to keep it. Problem is that if I sell it I'll just get antsie and buy another 914, you know me, and that doesn't gain me any space around here.

Had a ride in a desert rail the other day, it got me thinking... Still beating up the Jeep too but the rod knock is about to turn into something much worse. I found a used motor for $350, I just need to go pick it up and slap it in.

Will sell the Dakota too if I can find a decent 4x4 diesel Excursion for $20k... Wife like them and I need the towing power.

Decisions, decisions...

Just snuck by a CA "Test Only" smog on the Stang. First shop I went to wanted EO numbers for the blower, headers, and cats. Had to track down all the proper numbers. Wanna buy a vette? Dead battery again... might be having problems with my first Optima after buying 5... Doesn't seem to want to recharge.

lol. I need therapy...
Gint
lol. I need therapy...

Preachin to the choir....
rhodyguy
sure missed this. steve, where are the seam/s? just the butyl to stick it in? i want to do this so bad.

kevin
Malmz
My seam is at the center bottom of the windsheild. Mine has opened a little as the moulding has shrunk, so leave extra and squeeze it in there. Probably would be a good idea to glue it together with black silcone or something too.

sm
Gint
Street rodder on ESPN had an episode where they were at one of the many rod shows around the country. They highlighted a product that bonds ordinary rubber together. They used a window seal as an example. I can't remember the name of said product, or the manufacturers website, but it's here somewhere. As soon as I find it, I will post it in this thread.
rhodyguy
2-oh, who is painting your car?

kevin
2-OH!
One of the local club members (rustywa - from Kent) suggested a guy in Orting/Puyallup...He and I are discussing the issue...He's been over to see the patient and made some suggestions...I am leaning that way but I may try to get some other bids...Haven't seen his work yet, but I have some more homework to do...

I called the source Dave Hunt suggested and they said they would not do a complete re-paint but only collision work...I guess the insurance money is easier...

I am basically ready but still can not get the winshield trim off without damaging it...I guess I wll have to take the body to a windshield shop...

The body is available for viewing if you would like to come by...

2-OH!
Gint
Gint Posted on Jan 4 2004, 08:17 AM

Street rodder on ESPN had an episode where they were at one of the many rod shows around the country. They highlighted a product that bonds ordinary rubber together. They used a window seal as an example. I can't remember the name of said product, or the manufacturers website, but it's here somewhere. As soon as I find it, I will post it in this thread.  

Found it.

CoolChem web site link
Gint
Apprently they force you to register.

There was a discount code listed as well that seems to be required to register. It is: 'nsra3'

I registered a bogus account and sure enough, the prices were significantly higher. FYI
RustyWa
One of the local club members (rustywa - from Kent) suggested a guy in Orting/Puyallup...

Yea I would get other bids also. Lenny was comparable to another shop that I went to price wise. His paint booth was WAY nicer then the others. Have you seen it yet? The hard part is finding "willing" people who want to do a full repaint.

If you want to stop by and see my car lets set up a time. I'll also show you some of things I'm not happy with.

Here's a photo of the booth...downdraft ventilation and heated. They were putting in new filters when I took this photo.
swood
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Jan 4 2004, 12:12 PM)
The body is available for viewing if you would like to come by...

2-OH!

Sounds terminal!!

laugh.gif
Malmz
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 4 2004, 04:42 PM)
Gint Posted on Jan 4 2004, 08:17 AM

So how would this stuff do on 914 windshield bar inner gaskets to repair separating corners?
Gint
Should work great. I watched them glue 2 ends of a window seal together and it wouldn't come apart. The web site has a testimonial about a Jeep fan belt that the guy glued together and has been running on his Jeep for 5k miles. There is a 'glue' and an accelerator. Once the accelerator is applied, the part sticks together immediately.
ChrisFoley
Here's a pic of the tool I made from a piece of Chrome-moly sheet. It is possible to "unlatch" the plastic clips with this tool so they don't break when lifting the trim. This is important if you aren't replacing the windshield, just the trim.
By sliding the tool sideways after inserting it under the trim, I can catch the clip and pull it away from the lip of the trim, thereby releasing it easily without risk of breaking the delicate old plastic.
steve@ottosvenice.com
The NEW trim comes prebent from Porsche. I never saw an unbent peice they always sent bent ones.Some bent a little, others like a pretzel
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(steve@ottosvenice.com @ Jan 16 2004, 10:59 PM)
The NEW trim comes prebent from Porsche. I never saw an unbent peice they always sent bent ones.Some bent a little, others like a pretzel

Yeah, it takes a light touch to make it look smooth. You can't just press it into place and expect it to flatten out against the windshield by itself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.