Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this normal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ws91420
The brake lights come on w/ parking brake engaged w/ the engine running.
jonferns
that happens to me also....Im assuming that is normal...it kinda makes sense, that the brake lights would be on when the parking brake is engaged....--JON
SirAndy
what year is the car in question? (you have two listed) ...

looking through the wiring diagram for early cars ('70 - '73), there is no provision for the parking brake to light up the brakelights.

on those cars, the parking brake only grounds out the indicator light in your gauge, nothing else ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ws91420 @ May 20 2007, 07:42 PM) *

I'm with Andy on ths one -haven't seen that before & it doesn't make sense, from a wiring standpoint.
ws91420
the 76
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 21 2007, 12:41 AM) *

QUOTE(ws91420 @ May 20 2007, 07:42 PM) *

I'm with Andy on ths one -haven't seen that before & it doesn't make sense, from a wiring standpoint.

my only thought on this:

Is this a Euro car ? I know that on some of the Porsches I drove in Germany, there is a provision for the tail lights to come on as a safety device to notify oncoming traffic to the car on the side of the road. There is also a provision for the turn signal to be left in the position pointing to the side of the car closest to the lane of travel, to indicate to passing cars as to the danger. Our 944 ---American Spec-- also has this safety provision. Our teener does not. Not with the brake lights or the turn signals.

Did the car by chance come to America by way of Canada ?

Hope this is of some help for further discussion.........
SirAndy
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ May 20 2007, 08:24 PM) *

Our teener does not.

yes it does. with the turn signals at least.
with the ignition off and the turn signal lever moved, that side's parking lights will come on.
just like on any other european car ...

i have to go through the '76 wiring diagram to see if they changed the wiring for the parking brake ...
type.gif Andy
johannes
just like on any other european car ...

no no no ... this is german specific . You don't have that on french nor italian cars
jonferns
i have a '74, and this occurs when the parking brake is on....

-JON
ruddyboys
I just finished working with the parking brake electric. No the brake lights shouldn't come on. A brow and white wire sarts at the bottom base of the emergency brake handle, the switch looks almost like the door switch. When the handle is in the up position it opens the switch to ground the wire, like opening the door. The brown and white wire goes to the brake warning light in the dash board were it connects to the brown and white wire from the master cylinder. THe other wire from the brake warning light on the dash is a black and white wire that connects to the flasher switch. The light on the dash should blink when the emergency brake handle in lifted or the master cylinder has a problem.
SirAndy
QUOTE(johannes @ May 20 2007, 11:19 PM) *
You don't have that on french nor italian cars

hmmm, my old talbot horizon did that too ... and so did my renault twingo ...
confused24.gif Andy

PS: maybe just for the german market? idea.gif
thesey914
I'm trying to connect up the brake warning switch. Can anyone tell me where the brown/white (ground) wire routes? Does it leave the main loom and travel along the transverse box section where the heater lever switch does or further back? I'm struggling to locate the original wire - I have 3 coming out further back, 2 for the interior light on the back pad and I'm wondering if the 3rd is for the hand brake switch.
Carrera916
Yes, Ruddyboys got it right...pretty much all Porsches does that...handbrake engaged, flashing brakelight on left gauge....problem with master cylinder, you'll probably know before the flashing brakelight!

j
thesey914
This is the wire for the E brake (handbrake) that I'm trying to trace.
I'm wondering which path the wire took under the drivers seat or some other path.
Could the wire I'm looking for sprout form the main loom in the same place as the interior light cables?

I don't think my '72 master cylinder has a pressure switch fitted -it's a 19mm cylinder if that makes a difference.

SirAndy
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Dec 10 2007, 01:25 AM) *

This is the wire for the E brake (handbrake) that I'm trying to trace.
I'm wondering which path the wire took under the drivers seat or some other path.
Could the wire I'm looking for sprout form the main loom in the same place as the interior light cables?

I don't think my '72 master cylinder has a pressure switch fitted -it's a 19mm cylinder if that makes a difference.

the PB wire comes out of the rear of center tunnel together with the wires for the interior light. it is then routed behind the backpack around the drivers seat and alongside the long to the PB switch ...

bye1.gif Andy
thesey914
piratenanner.gif Thanks Andy! Thats a big help my friend beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.