Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ebay 914/6...the ongoing saga
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fuch toy
Well I paid off the owner, paid the wrench via a credit card....still no car. They noticed alignment issues and it's still there.

I have yet to see a good pic of it or the engine......geez, dealing with wrenches that you know only by rep is a bit unnerving. When I heard of the alignment issues I asked how far they were from Steve Alarcon in Torrance......very frostily he informed me that HIS shop did not hold a candle to their's.......welllllll exsqueeeeeze me...... bootyshake.gif

Not like I have ever been in YOUR shop.....I bought this off ebay.....geeez. Oh well, maybe Friday........

STILL HAVE THAT 74 taking up space.......it RUNS and is a 2.0......did I mention that?
redshift
jees... I'm scared.

icon8.gif barf.gif

m
cnavarro
May the force be with you. If not, there's always another solution to the problem: ar15.gif

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Zois @ Dec 8 2003, 08:18 AM)
...still no car. They noticed alignment issues and it's still there.

it's been there -how- long and they "just" noticed alignment issues ?
i suppose the worry that you'll ever get paid for the work must act as a disincentive to be -too- ambitious but still ... i'd have to guess a "superior" shop would have 'noticed' alignment issues so bad it couldn't be trailered out of there while it was just sitting, but WTFDIK ?

good luck with it tho ...
campbellcj
Hey, maybe they noticed the alignment issues while flogging it around Willow at 130mph? laugh.gif

Just kidding...they were testing a brand spanking new GT3 Cup car this week. Maybe that's why your -6 isn't ready. Frustrating, ain't it...BTDT...
Gint
I missed this whole story.

You bought a /6 off ebay (conversion?) and it went straight to an unknown (to you) shop for work prior to you actually seeing the car? What exactly are they doing, and what are the "alignment" issues?
fuch toy
OK Gint....it's in the archives but ONLY for you.....

An ebay item came up for a 914/6 conversion....no pics, claims 30k invested....couple people looked and did not bite....Ferg (a lister) emailed the guy, got the wrench imfo.....

Seems like the 2.7 did a major rebuild at one shop....got dragged to another and developed a 4500 bill. THAT bill did not make the disclosure on ebay....I sent secret agent Aaron down to scope it out.....he pronounced it not gonna cause hearttburn....the wrench, an aqua...uh fiend of Aaron's was a little frosty to callers. finger.gif

I gots receipts from a rep shop for 10 K on the engine alone.....plus a lot of other stuff.....it ran last week....but had undisclosed alignment issues.....

Read between the lines....gonna pick it up Friday.

So, I either gonna have a hard time esplaining to Lucy or a good deal....will let ya know.
campbellcj
Hopefully the PO didn't put that 10K engine into a bent tub unsure.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Dec 8 2003, 04:34 PM)
Hopefully the PO didn't put that 10K engine into a bent tub

and yet, as it happens, Mikey knows the whereabouts of a straight, 5-lug roller ...

and/or has a list of vultu- ah - friends - waiting to make deals for the parts ...
Gint
Ferg (a lister)

Yeah, I knew that one. He's a local. I hooked him up with SammyG. to PPI that white 6 conversion with the purple Malibu Barbie stripe (that's sure to get his attention on this thread), that he's since had removed. Nice guy, nice car.

Well I got my fingers crossed for ya...
redshift
Good thing you have a spare laying around..

ohmy.gif

M
Joe Bob
Yah....still....I have my Tums handy...... headbang.gif
Ferg
I kinda miss my barbie stripe... NOT! blink.gif

but in a good way, that's horrible stripe is what got me a good deal. not many took the car seriously after seeing the ad, and the fact that he did not list it as a six!

anyhow, hope it works out for Z, i'm starting to regret passing on this deal.

Ferg.
fuch toy
More on this....as of this date, the wrench reports that it is strong runner....that's a good thing. The alignment issue was due to the rubbing of the five lug Fuchs/tires due to the welded on frame stiffeners....they added a 1/4 inch spacer to the rears. Seems to have corrected the issues.

So....looking good.....so far.
Joe Bob
Can't get any better.....I paid the wrench via a credit card.....the credit company accepted and gave an authorization code....the wrench's credit card vendor....a third party held up paying the wrench for a week, prompting the wrench to ask what was wrong with my credit card.....nothing on my end per the card company and we did a three party call to the wrench to straighten it out.....

THEN the asshole credit card vendor called my WIFE and asked about the charge......she did not know anything about it.....the next call I get is wifey asking about the "X", 000.00 charge...... blink.gif

Then, due to the Carrera front end being in the 914 the alignment could not get any better than +1 on the camber as well as the right rear. Looks like I have to cut the top to get more negative camber and do either longer studs in the rear to get more space to adjust the rear camber......BUT they did get it up to 80 mph on the freeway......

So FrIday is the day.....unless something else pops up.

Anyone wanna good deal on a 914/6? bs.gif
Ferg
Just a friendly reminder

BRING YOUR CAMERA FRIDAY!!!

I want a cool trip report, train ride and all... laugh.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 9 2003, 11:46 AM)
...THEN the asshole credit card vendor...

Then, due to the Carrera front end being in the 914 the alignment could not get any better than +1 on the camber as well as the right rear.  Looks like I have to cut the top to get more negative camber and do either longer studs in the rear to get more space to adjust the rear camber...

well - all those credit card guys is slime, but some are worse than others ...

IIRC the Tarrett monoball upper strut mounts have multiple mounting points allowing increased negative camber. you're the first person i've heard of having this issue with the Carrera front end, but i don't claim to be that well clued-in to the issues ...

too much positive camber in the rear is a standard symptom of a curb-strike bent trailing arm...
Engman
THEN the asshole credit card vendor called my WIFE and asked about the charge......she did not know anything about it.....the next call I get is wifey asking about the "X", 000.00 charge......

Ohhh - Mikeys gonna pay for this........... lol3.gif

M
DuckRyder
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 9 2003, 03:46 PM)
.............THEN the asshole credit card vendor called my WIFE and asked about the charge......she did not know anything about it.....the next call I get is wifey asking about the "X", 000.00 charge...... blink.gif .......................

OH SHIT!!! spank.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Dec 9 2003, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 9 2003, 11:46 AM)
...THEN the asshole credit card vendor...

Then, due to the Carrera front end being in the 914 the alignment could not get any better than +1 on the camber as well as the right rear.  Looks like I have to cut the top to get more negative camber and do either longer studs in the rear to get more space to adjust the rear camber...

well - all those credit card guys is slime, but some are worse than others ...

IIRC the Tarrett monoball upper strut mounts have multiple mounting points allowing increased negative camber. you're the first person i've heard of having this issue with the Carrera front end, but i don't claim to be that well clued-in to the issues ...

too much positive camber in the rear is a standard symptom of a curb-strike bent trailing arm...

They SAY they can get more negative in the rear....but that the tire will rub on the inner well where the frame stiffener plates are unless it's spaced out more....it could be bent, but more spacers need longer studs as the minimum number of turns on the lugnut would be exceeded by going with more than the 1/4 inch spacer already on there.
Red-Beard
Is the car still in San Diego? I think the shop in question is just down the street from my work...

James

yeah - we're everywhere!
Joe Bob
No....Irvine/Lake Forest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.