Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Dead BMW Battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Can you believe this.

Wife's X5 is dead again this morning for the second time. Dealer says battery is not under warranty because car is not driven enough. She only has 7000 miles in 2 years.

BMW NA says batteries are not under warranty if car is not driven at least 500 miles\month.

I'm not sure it is not the alternator but it is too easy to just put a new battery in.

How do you check the alternator anyway?

thanks,
dr
fuch toy
Get a volt meter.....when FULLY charged and car off....12.5 volts. At idle, 13.0+ at 2500 rpms, 14.5 max.....
fiid
BMWs always have dodge electrics. The turn signals seem to break quite often as well.

boldblue.gif
DuckRyder
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Dec 8 2003, 12:30 PM)
BMW NA says batteries are not under warranty if car is not driven at least 500 miles\month.

Is that in writing in the warranty book, because if it isn't tell them to pissoff.gif

You should try having a lawyer friend write a passive agressive certified letter. That should work.

But yeah, just replacing the battery should work, since it is already dead. I'm pretty sure they have adaptaive DME, so it might take a few days to relearn idle and shift points.
machina
I just put a new battery in. They didn't have the size at any of the local auto parts stores so I had to go to the dealer, $125.

Then I realized that the lift gate and tail gate have electric releases only, even from the rear, so then crawl in from inside, pull panels, release tail and liftgate.

Also, the battery is under the spare in the floor and also under a super heavy gauge piece of removable sheetmetal. It is probably part of the rear crash design.

Really hard battery to get to.

dr
LS6/914
HORSE HOCKEY! I simply cannot believe a BMW dealer would kink warranty for a battery. I work for Cadillac, batteries are warrantied 5/40. Tell your dealer you are going to trade on a SRX. (just venting) By the way does your BMW have a navigation system, or ONSTAR? If it is equiped the vehicle will have to relearn the latitude & longitude to prevent the system from inadvertent module wake-up commands. These can drain a battery in a matter of days. welder.gif
Joe Bob
Well ya can put the gal to work..... blink.gif Then she has to drive five days a week.....no more battery problems.... lol3.gif
machina
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 9 2003, 12:07 AM)
Well ya can put the gal to work..... blink.gif Then she has to drive five days a week.....no more battery problems.... lol3.gif

The gal works 50 hours a week, and she is 8 months pregnant.

Her office is only 1.5 miles from the house, that is why the low miles.

As far as the dealer goes, I called BMW North America and the verified what the dealer was telling me. I am not up to a pelcian brief over a damn battery.

dr
joea9146
You can try here or do some searches see if anyone has had the same problem....
www.bimmerfest.com
Joe Bob
* months preggers huh? Well I guess a skate board is out of the question?
mueba.gif
fuch toy
BTW....congrats on the baby. Just in time hopefully for a tax deduction?

My three get me a nice fat check from the Feds every year....God bless them. laugh.gif
machina
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 9 2003, 10:38 AM)
* months preggers huh? Well I guess a skate board is out of the question?
mueba.gif

nah, I think she could handle that too.

dr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.