Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Je suis à Bruxelles!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
I find myself in brussels for a short work sabatical. still, i have some time to blow. for those of you in the know: what should i do/see?
Jeroen
If you have a car... go to the Nurburgring (it's just across the German border)
You'll see lots of cool cars that are driving the Nordschleife track.
Heck, you could even drive a lap yourself (just be extra carefull!!!)

On your way there (or back) you could visit the Spa-Francourchamps track (near Luik / Liege in Belgium) and you might stumble on some action too...

Other than that, I can't think of much "car related" things for you to do

I'm sure Geoff will chime in (he was in Bruxelles recently)

cheers,

Jeroen
meursault
Euh, mangez des moules-frites? confused24.gif

Peut-etre vous voulez boire de la biere la-bas aussi beer3.gif

Have fun!
Bleyseng
Eat as much of the Patate mit Mayo as you can! Thats French fries with mayo or try the curry Ketchup!
While in Brussel go to the Great Market square in the night and day, very interesting place and very old and beautiful. Go to the pubs there and have a beer and enjoy the people in the square, nothing like it in the USA.
Go to see Manneken Pis, the little boy pissing cuz is the tourist thing to do. Look about 3 doors down on the street and there is a killer Belgium Waffle place. S

I enjoyed seeing the Les Marolles area near Midi Zuidstation. Its where all the Moroccoans and Turks have their shops including their incredible bakeries. I stuffed myself on their different breads, nothing like it in the US.

Go see the Galeries St Hubert as its worth just walking around. One of the first malls, it was built in 1848!! Incredible place and the shops are very nice. Buy some chocolate at the Neuhaus shop as they are the best .

Monique and I just walked around for two days looking at all kinds of different things. What are you interested in?? I posted that pic of the Mercedes Benz C111 rotary car that I stumbled onto to in a small dealers shop. Brussel is full of surprises!
One thing, do stroll thru the seafood restaurants off Lombard street at night. They really are quite a sight by the food is disapointing.

Geoff
ThinAir
No matter what else you do, sample the local beer. I've never had beer as smooth as Belgian beer. Make's me sad I only brought back 4 bottles from my last trip. beerchug.gif
Qarl
Je suis à Bruxelles!, what should i do?

I keep scanning this topic in the topic listing and I'm thinking it says...

Jesus in Brusselles... what should I do?

Ummm... get your picture taken with him... or maybe his autograph!
nebreitling
Thanks guys clap56.gif

i've put a lot of your suggestions on my list!

i might indeed swing by nürburgring, i have some work to do in bonn und köln anyway... trying to explain to my musician friends why i need to go see fast cars will be tough.

j'ai deja mangé des moules-frites! and ofcourse, my favorite: leffe brun... beer3.gif

geoff, thanks for the good suggestions, i'm headed to the grand place today

already miss the teener... thanks everyone,

n
Jeroen
I knew Geoff would chime in (nice avatar btw Geoff, it's the freakest "black pete" I ever saw biggrin.gif)

Besides the fries, try some of the other fast food. You should be able to get a "frikandel" (pronounce freak-an-dell) have it with mayo, ketchup and unions (it's called a special)
That's a snack they only serve in the Netherlands and Belgium

Ofcourse, the different beers... triple or quadruple of any brand is generally good (just don't drink the sediment)

Have fun!

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
My favorite beers were Palm and Hoegarden. I was able to only find the Palm in the Brown cafes in Amsterdam but look for it and maybe you will find it. Yes, the Leffe is quite good and so smooth!

I went to Koln too and if you go you must go see the Dom. Its a huge church beyond any description! Plan on spending several hours there to walk around it. Simply amazing!

Try the fast food Jeroen suggested but add the peanut sauce and its called "War" Its very good but it causes indigestion!!!

Jeroen, we are planning to come back in the late summer and stay out on the coast near Hellewayoutheresluis. Hope to visit you again.

Geoff
Bigbohr
Not sure whether I'm still on time but here is some more stuff.

There is a classic car museum on de Cinquantenaire, called Autoworld. Also on the Cinquantenaire is a pretty big military museum showing from shiny knights armor to fighter planes. If you're into that kind of stuff.

If you are into art and stuff go to the Royal museum of fine arts - close to the king's palace in downtown Brussels. There is a part for classic and for contemporary art.

If you are looking for a good restaurant - you may have noticed we know how to eat well in Belgium - try "La Roue d'Or" in the Rue des Chapeliers (just off the Grand Place ... or "Les Brigittines" on the Place de la Chapelle. Neither is cheap but the food is excellent. Don't eat in a resto on the Grand Place or in the Rue des Bouchers. That's for the tourists pissoff.gif

To discover the european cartoons go to the "Centre belge de la Bande dessinee" I think it's in the Rue des Sables, walking distance from the royal palace too.

If you wanne see an old medieval castle go to Beersel just south of Brussels. Take the highway E19 in the direction of Paris and get off when you see exit "Beersel". It's indicated. One of the best examples of these old things.

Not sure exactly what you like so I was just shooting some stuff. Let me know what you like I can give you more info.

If you have time available you have to go a day to Bruges. Nothing in Belgium is far, except for belgians themselves cause we are used to everything being small.

Ah, and don't forget to go to Antwerp ... my town wub.gif

Enjoy the beerchug.gif
Bigbohr
For your information, nobody says "Patate mit Mayo" in Belgium. That's what the dutch call it. And we don't want to be confused with those ... bootyshake.gif
it's Frites or Frieten for the Flemish. Try with "andalouse" sauce.
maf914
I had the opporunity to travel to Brussels quite a few times when I worked in Germany. Like Geoff said, visit the Grand market square and check out the surrounding areas. There are a couple of streets adjacent to the square that have many seafood restaurants and markets. Man, I got hooked on mussels (in white wine) and frites! With a couple of local beers. Mmmm... I miss those meals.

Mike
davep
While I was in Switzerland a few years ago I took a day to drive to Zuffenhausen to see the factory museum. I had little in the way of maps or an address, but found it without trouble anyway. Big problem with parking though. It was worth the trip. Next on my list of things to do, given another opportunity, is to drive the Nurburgring.

DaveP
p914
Take the city bus tour and then you can spot places of interest. Just wandering around Royal Square area is fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.