Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rack Spacers???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ldino21
I was wondering how many people were using Rack Spacers on their 914 and are they definitely necessary. I just changed to 205/50-15 tires on my 914 from 205/70-15's boy what a difference!!!
ChrisReale
Rack spacers are for lowered cars and they are used to correct the geometry of the steering rack. I need them. Lower profile tires dont necessarily create a situation where they are necessary, but if you lower the front end via the torsion bar adjuster screws, there is a good chance you will require them.

There are two types. One is an $11 set of longer boolts and washers. The other is $300 or $400 and attaches to the tie rods ends to re align the geometry. I cannot comment on the benefits of one over the other, but I assume the ERP ($400 set) are more geared towards racers.
Mueller
rack spacers are for when the front end is lowered XX amount beyond stock, hopefully someone else will chime in.......

huge differance in sidewall flex with those "tall" tires smile.gif

happy driving MDB2.gif
fiid
How do you know when you need them??

l8r,

Fiid.
redshift
If you change from stock ride height, you need them.

You car may not classically "bump steer", but maybe it likes to follow grooves, or oversteers more in a light camber.. it will do most of this without them, and a good alignment.

M
Jeroen
I installed the rack spacers on my 911 last summer. Makes a very noticeable difference in bumpsteer.

The car is lowered and suffered from very noticable bumpsteer. With the spacers installed, the bumpsteer is nearly gone. So it's crude, but it works...

The big bux SmartRacing kit allows you to exactly adjust the amount of bumpsteer
The rack spacers just give you one "setting"

cheers,

Jeroen
URY914
I use them.

My ride height is a little less then stock. lol2.gif

Paul
redshift
hahaha

I can't believe you allocated the weight for them!

M
URY914
I made them out of aluminum. wink.gif

Paul
rdracrdave
Rack spacers are used to adjust the steering rack in relation to the ball joint.
You might ask yourself why this is nessesary, so i'll try to explain.
When you lower the body of the car ,the balljoint stays at the same hight from the floor. This allows the tie rods ,(and the Lower control arms), to "droop" .This missalignment contributes to a condition known as "bump steer". Left alone, bump steer can cause the car to be a handfull to drive, an at its worst can be down right dangerous.
Bump steer , as its name implies, is when the wheel moves up or down (bump), the tie rod missalignment allows the wheel to" steer" itself .
Rack spacers raise the steering rack to try to return the tie rods to the correct hight. Unfortunetly, the body will only allow the rack to be raised 5/8" to 3/4 " . You can raise it higher,(about 1" ),but you will need to replace the steering shaft vibration dampner (rag Joint ) with a thinner one from a type 1 vw.
Most hardware stores have metal spacers of different thicknesses that you could adapt for use as rack spacers if you are so inclined.
Remember to increase the length of the bolt you use to replace the origonal by the the same amount as the spacer.
I hope this helps.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.