Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Struts...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jhadler
Hey all,

I seem to recall someone telling me once that they were able to use VW rabbit struts on a 914. What's the reality of that? Not that I'm looking to do it anytime soon, but it s eems to be a whole lot easier to find adjustable inserts for a VW rabbit strut than it is for a 914.

I know the rates would need to be different, but that's just a matter of re-valving.

-Josh2
bam914
You can use them. You need to shorten the strut housing about an 1.5" and have a sperical bearing strut mount. You can also use the Koni double adjutable insert that they sell. They are even shorter and require about 2.5" removed.
jhadler
QUOTE(bam914 @ May 25 2007, 09:00 AM) *

You can use them. You need to shorten the strut housing about an 1.5" and have a sperical bearing strut mount. You can also use the Koni double adjutable insert that they sell. They are even shorter and require about 2.5" removed.

But it's just the strut housing itself that needs to be shortened right?? Not the insert though right??

Might make it cheaper for me to go to externally adjustable doubles at some point.

-Josh2
bam914
Yes you just cut a section of the strut out and weld it back together.
Twystd1
Blake, do you have any pics or schematic of this setup???

Or do you know where a write up is for this setup?

Regards,
Clayton
Joe Ricard
That's what I did for the Koni 8610-1437 Race inserts I put in the Red Neck Racer. cut 1.5" out and welded the top threaded section back on. Kinda cool to have suspension travel again.

So does this let you use Rabbit wheels hubs and brakes? What was the Rabbit bolt pattern. Please say 4 x 100
jhadler
I have no idea Joe. I don't think the strut tube and insert naturally bring along the hub with them in this process, but I could be wrong. Yes, all Rabbits, and A2 golfs etc use 4x100 bolt pattern. Cheap and light wheels to be had. Don't know how you'd do the rears though, and it'd be pretty crazy to have 4x130 on the rear and 4x100 on the front...

-Josh2
bam914
You just use the strut insert. No part of a Rabbit is needed. If you want 4x100 just get the rotors drilled. There is room to do it. The later rotors with the centering ring will have to have that part turned down.
Joe Ricard
Well then all you gain is use of different shock valving.
I achieved that with the 8610 shock insert. and gained 1.5 inches of travel as stated above.
Pretty easy to cut strut housing with a pipe cutter. and stick weld the two pieces together.
JPB
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif Bla blblbla blblblablblblabla beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.