Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: mid-engine kit cars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
abbott295
So last weekend I bought a car that was supposed to be for parts for the one that my son flipped but looks like it's fixable too. The owner had been going to put in an engine and transmission from a Dodge Intrepid because he thought he could but his son lost interest in the project.

But my mind came up with a memory from a previous life, back in the '70's I used to read Sports Car Graphic magazine (Road and Track took it over) and this memory that popped up was of someone suggesting that some of the front wheel drive cars that were being produced could be fixed up to make all kinds of mid-engine kit cars. Kit cars were a thing then, I guess there still are some, but maybe not the variety of them.

Like I say that was in a previous life, I don't know if anything became of that. Anyone know anything? Did they, do they do that? And if so, what are some of the interesting ones?

Just for fun. Thanks, Alfred
904svo
This is my mid engine kit car, Chuck Beck's 904

Click to view attachment

Al Meredith
Alfred, I have a good 914 tub in Roswell , Ga . The floors have been cut out by the PO . He did it so the new pans could be installed , he left a lip so there is something to weld to. I also have the new metal peices needed to complete the job. The rocker panels fine . If our are interested, Give me a call at 770-616-3767 and I'll sell it to you for less then the price of the new steel parts.
RoninEclipse2G
I think what he's really looking for is one of the mid engine kit cars that you can use cheap honda/toyota FWD drivetrains from.

maybe something like this?

http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredvehicles/...ster/index.html
abbott295
I guess I wasn't clear on my question. I was wondering what had become of the idea of using a front engine, front drive set-up as the basis for, or options in kit cars in the last 30 years or so that I have been living a couple of other lives and not in touch with that sort of thing. Just curiousity, a memory that surfaced and the itch that needed scratching. I'm not looking to do anything along that line, just wondering what I've missed out on.

The Kitcarmag link, Accord powertrain application, is the sort of thing I had in mind. What sorts of combinations have been used or offered.

Note to Al Meredith: I'm thinking... I've already started down this slippery slope, how far, how fast do I go down knowing my life is already busy enough?
scotty b
I am currently doing the body refinement on one of these at one of the shops I am working at. BADASS looking car but the glass is ..... idea.gif less than impressive particularly when compared to my Puma

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html
VaccaRabite
Also, the Beck 550 Spyder is a killer mid engine kit car.

If you want to go with a mid engined car, you really can't beat the 904 or the 550.

Here is a Beck 550 that showed up at Hershey:
IPB Image

If I were going to build a kit car, I'd build a 904. They are just all sorts of sexy. The Spyder is prettier, but they frankly scare me.

Zach
Tobra
You are in Georgia, just go give Jake Raby a big sack of cash and have him build you a monster motor for one of those Vintage or Beck Spyders. Few hundred horsepower in a 1200 pound car would be pretty entertaining. Consider it a motorcycle with seatbelts.

Almost got a Beck Spyder when I got the 914, could not scrape into one for $1500 so I got a 914 I could just put gas in and drive.
r_towle
There are several mid engines kit cars that come to mind, and they can all be modified to use the 914 chassis.

Perry makes a spider replica specifically for the 914, its not the correct spider dimension, but its a bolt on kit for the 914. Look it up online.

There are quite a few GT40 replicar bodies out there that will work, you just need to modify the fiberglass at the engine, and swap it for the mid engined, not a big deal really.

There is the kelmark GT, this one could also work with a 914.

There is a dune buggy, made out here in Massachusetts in the 70's that was mid engined, and I believe used alot of 914 parts for the chassis...but its hard to find, and pretty pricey.
This buggy went on to win the SCCA national Autocross several years in a row. think 1500 lbs max, open top, mid engine...blah blah blah.

Also, look down the Fiero kit car line. This mid engined car had wuite a few kits, all of which could be used on a 914, with work...but could be done.

I think for an out of the box kit, all I have seen is Perry making spiders that truely bolt on.
He advertises in the kit car magazine, and on the two major kit car web sites.

Rich
Dr. Roger
There's this guy.

Keith Wright Enterprises  http://www.kw-enterprises.com/
Builder and supplier of the F-Zero kitcar based on the Porsche 914.

or check out googles kit car search results
http://www.google.com/Top/Business/Automot...s_and_Replicas/

A pretty good read.

Roger
GeorgeRud
I think the east coast midengined buggy was called the Deserter GT. I remember getting an info packet on it in the early 70s.

We also had a fellow in Illinois making replica bodies of Lola GTs, Marches, etc, but unfortunately he passed all to soon. There must be something in those fiberglass fumes.
Jake Raby
I just sold a 2007, 550 Spyder and now I am building another 2007 Beck with one of my TI engines in it.. The engine made 212HP @ 7,500 RPM... This new car is for sale if you are interested!
GS Guy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 28 2007, 07:40 PM) *

I think the east coast midengined buggy was called the Deserter GT. I remember getting an info packet on it in the early 70s.

Close - the Deserter GS was the mid-engine version. Built by a little 'ol race shop up in Mass. called Autodynamics. The GS was built with both "Manx style" bodywork (referred to as the Series 1, or original Deserter), and later the GT body with molded in headlights, curved windshield, etc. Tubular chassis by itself weighed a whopping 85 lbs! A finished GS could be built that weighed in around 1200lbs, and with a hot-rodded 200hp Corvair engine a very favorable power to weight ratio!

A few of these cars still out there, though at 37+ years old most needing a thorough restoration. They pop up for sale from time to time - a real pocket rocket! driving.gif
Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.