Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this gonna be...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
J P Stein
We don't get to try this out till next weekend at the SCCA AX at Packwood.
I'll do a regular travelouge.....weather permitting confused24.gif
McMark
Very cool!

Wouldn't work in a car with a windshield, and especially not with the top on.
SirAndy
just don't wiggle your head constantly like many of the old folks do ... biggrin.gif

talked to brad yesterday and he said they got great video footage from alberts car up at thunderhill this weekend by mounting the camera on top of the rollcage!
(after consulting SCCA)

the higher up, the better. or so it would seem ...

can't wait to see the result!
driving.gif Andy
J P Stein
I'll try not to nod off yellowsleep[1].gif.....but ya never know with us old farts.
I should be OK as long as my head don't fall off.
It's held on by "supervisor tape" (so named at work because it's 2 faced) and prolly weighs less than a pound. I like to think I look ahead at AX. We'll find out, by God.
drgchapman
Your head should make a nice vibration damper fo the camera. biggrin.gif
Mine died the first a/x lap mounted to the roll bar.
Tape, hard drive or disc camera?
J P Stein
SD memory card. 2 GB (purchased seperately) which is good for 60 minutes
at it's highest res. The ole bod should be a good shock absorber if nothing else. biggrin.gif
You going to Packwood, Gary? It's a really nice venue.
Dave_Darling
JP, does that mean you're trying for the Cat Ass Trophy? wink.gif

--DD
mskala
You can run a camera on a helmet in a 914 and it does keep the high-freq vibrations down. But, I put mine on the _side_ of my helmet, to get a real driver's eye view. I guess if you sit back far enough and aim down you should be able to avoid getting the windshield frame in the picture with it on top of the helmet.
J P Stein
The windshield is not a problem.
The face shield interfered with mounting the cam on the side. That was my first choice.
drgchapman
If I make Packwood, it'll be last minute. wavey.gif Make sure you bring all your tools, I'll forget some, iffin' I make it. Is a place to stay going to be a problem? Or is it OK to sleep in the back of the Suburban at the the track? yellowsleep[1].gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(drgchapman @ May 27 2007, 10:06 PM) *

If I make Packwood, it'll be last minute. wavey.gif Make sure you bring all your tools, I'll forget some, iffin' I make it. Is a place to stay going to be a problem? Or is it OK to sleep in the back of the Suburban at the the track? yellowsleep[1].gif

We don't run till the afternoon group on Sunday.
Saturday is practice....so we'll go up Sunday morning & get there bout 10 AM or so.

You can't overnight at the track, but they do have someone camped there over night to watch over things. There is covered parking if you want to leave your car there over night. It's a pretty sweet set-up for an AX and worth the trip.
Watch out for Elk on the drive up the White pass highway and the WSP patrols it heavly......just in case you have a lead foot. av-943.gif
Look on the local SCCA website for Packwood info on camping/hotels.
drgchapman
JP, where are you staying? Looks like I got the green light!
drgchapman
Ohhhhhhh.........
I was thinking a 2 day affair...

We don't need no stinking practice!

I will follow you up on Sunday morning then. I'm Golden.

Now I need to find a trailer.
JPB
Can you take other cars out with that? beer.gif
J P Stein
The post whore strikes.......
McMark
Yeah, but where's the video?
J P Stein
I loaded it on Youtube but it daon work.
I'll reload it later today & hope......
J P Stein
This link may not work for a while....or ever. Fresh up load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW-x5Ox5uS0
McMark
JP, I don't know how big the video file is, but you can try emailing it to me @ markd@mac.com and I'll put it up.
J P Stein
There's something amiss with the vid. Youtube will not load it.
The file is 64MB & way too big to email.
J P Stein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z4DjpmuY7o
drgchapman
av-943.gif

barf.gif

So much for the vibration damper effect..............your line is a little wider than mine in most of the sweepers. You beat me. Thanks for the view..........I think.
McMark
Really cool! thumb3d.gif
J P Stein
I got into the marbles on the 3rd turn.....lotta wheel sawin' & off/on throttle
trying to get outta there. My worst run of the day preserved on video blink.gif
I late apexed about everything else on that course.

I'll mount the cam on the roll bar in the future.
ConeDodger
Well Mr. Stein, after looking over the video I think we can say for certain that your Parkinson's is out of control and we need to get you on medication...

Seriously though JP, that is cool.
J P Stein
A quick vid from the SCCA.
Brit got TTOD for door slammers....unfortunately, we didn't get a vid of that. You'll have to put up with the slow old guy. Mounted the bullet cam on the roll bar this time.
The audio is gawd awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCR70buo2yo
Downunderman
So what sort of camera is it JP?
J P Stein
Hay, Howard:
It's an Oregon Scientific AT2000. The video is OK but not great. The audio is terrible.
I switched from my Sony as it tripped out from vibration....so does this one....shit.
I wouldn't recommend it for the roads you run.biggrin.gif It is cheep, tho. Hundred bucks with some internet searching.
Joe Ricard
SO far I have had good luck with my Kodak digital camera that does video too.
Once I was able to ground the case against ignition interference I get OK in car vids.
1Mb Sd memory card and a spare card if I get losts of laps or forget to shut the camera off inbetween runs.
Downunderman
I'm using a Sony handicam mounted hard up against the back window, but I want to replace it with something smaller with a wider angle lens which will run off 12v. Then I can get rid of the inverter and transformer.
J P Stein
Well, the good thing is about it that it takes 2 AA bateries and has a 2GB card (purchased seperately) that is good for an hour at the highest res.....mount anywhere, small, light.....not a very wide aperture tho. The sound garbles with overload ....I'm gonna try to muffle the mic some before I give up on the thing.
The video quality is good before Youtube gets aholt of it.
mrdezyne
Hmmm? could this be the source of inspiration?

http://www.killerclips.com/clip.php?id=138&qid=1905

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.