Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting out the CHT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric Taylor
Well sorta. Man pulling the engine tin out suck's while it is in the car! That was a real bear! But once out, I found that the po was kind enough to leave an old plug and plug wrench sitting on the cylinders and head. The plus is that now I have a good plug wrench! My main goal for all this is to replace the CHT but there dosn't seam to be a good way to get a wrench around it. What's the easiest way?
Eric
DrifterJay
Stupid question, but was does cht stand for? I dont know these abbreviations, but from most experience so far, the answer is drop your motor for anything short of an oil change..lol. Joke, but with the time you spent getting that tin off, you could have had it out..lol. I tried taking the tin off too awhile back..said f it after five minutes though...
Eric Taylor
CHT = Cylinder Head Temp Sensor. Yeah that tin was a bitch, probably took and hour all in all. But It's out!
Eric
DrifterJay
holy crap, thats what I guessed..lol, I wouldnt know.. the stud on my snapped when removing it...not to mention the motor was already out
DrifterJay
Just out of curiousity, you have a 2.0 parts car, why dont you swap? Would make for a fun project. You will learn a lot. I have so far with my project.
Jared

barely* 18 and learning a lot (lol)
72 1.7 destined to never run (at least until Wed....)
Eric Taylor
Drifter - The 2.0 is old, tired and leaking like a sive. I toss back and forth about rebuliding it into a 2270 and putting it in my 72, but the 1.7 in my 72, is so tight I just can't justify the price right now. It has had at least a top end rebuild at one point or another, and does not leak a drop of oil! I'm still amazed at that, so now i'm just trying to get this car to stop running so rich and enjoy it, but more power would be nice. hummm, how would a 3.2 feel ...smile.gif
Eric
SirAndy
get a deep socket and cut a slit in the side on the top to fiddle the wire through.
then use the ratchet.

Andy
DrifterJay
doesnt leak..lol damn..both tranny and motor leak like no other on mine..at least the body is ok..very little rust
Bruce Allert
pssssst... should we tell'm that they don't need to remove the tin for the CHT?? wink.gif

...........b
skline
No, dont tell him, it may ruin his day. Let him think he did it for a reason. He probably wanted to powdercoat the sheetmetal or at least clean it up real nice.
nebreitling
yeah dude, of course you don't need to pull the tin to replace the CHT. still, it's a good thing you did -- you certainly don't need random parts and tools wedged in there.

Andy's suggestions is a good one. or, i used a deep socket around the CHT, and then (i sh-t you not) made my own socket driver out of a piece of scrap oak. this way, i could pass the wire first through the socket; and then through a slit i made in my wooden driver. spun the new driver with a pair of vise grips... crazy but it worked really well.

unfortunately, my car hasn't run since (for other reasons....) sad.gif

nathan

p.s. i consider pulling the tin in an hour to be pretty damn quick!
DrifterJay
but his tin probably looks like a crushed coke can...jk
Eric Taylor
Well crap, got all that out for nothing, but it was kinda cool to get all that crap out though, it's dirty under there, so i'll clean it up and paint the tin. oh well. A sounds like I need a socket with a whole in it.
Eric
Bleyseng
No, just grind off the corner of an 3/8ths extension so the wire can pass out the top of the plug socket while the extension is in it. You dont have to drill a hole or anything in the socket.

Geoff
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 9 2003, 10:12 AM)
No, just grind off the corner of an 3/8ths extension so the wire can pass out the top of the plug socket while the extension is in it. You dont have to drill a hole or anything in the socket.

Geoff

agree.gif What Geoff said
maf914
I bought a deep socket with a slot that is made for removing O2 sensors for my Nissan pickup. I wonder if the size is the same, but I'm not at home so i can't check. If you intend to buy something you might check out these at your FLAPS.

Or, you could go to a Porsche dealer and ask for the special Porsche CHT tool. Probably wouldn't cost too much.... laugh.gif

Mike
Eric Taylor
Thank's for the advice, I'll go buy a crappy wal mart extension. By the way, where can I get a new seal to go between the intake runner and the head?
Eric
DrifterJay
pelican
mike_the_man
Another piece of advice I found helpful when putting a new CHT in. Use a couple drops of crazy glue to glue the little washer on the the sensor. This way the washer won't fall off while putting the sensor in, but once you tighten it up, the glue will break and the CHT will seat in.

When I did mine, I didn't cut any sockets or extensions up. I cut the wire off the old CHT sensor before I took it out, then used a deep socket. When I put the new one in, I just tightly coiled the wire around a screw-driver shaft, then slid it into a deep socket and put it in. It seemed pretty easy to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.