Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center seat cushion:factory, dealer or aftermarket?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
This is for those knowledgable in the early car minutia. The center cushion shown on the right in the following photos came with the car when delivered in April 1970. Was this center seat pad supplied with the car from the factory, or was it provided from the dealers' parts department? The vinyl covering is smooth and the staples on the bottom side appear to be similar in type and installation as to what is used on the bottom of the seats for both driver and passenger.

The cushion on the left is filled with a softer foam than the one on the left which is much more rigid in construction. The left pad has a "weave " finish to match the dash and seat insert material. I suspect the left side pad is aftermarket, but am not positive.
flesburg
The pad on the right looks like the one that came with my 74.

The extensions on the bottom fit into a center mounted tray, and held the pad in place.

The other one is home-made. even with the zipper.
SirAndy
QUOTE(flesburg @ May 30 2007, 02:27 PM) *

The other one is home-made. even with the zipper.

wrong ...

both are factory pieces. the one on the left goes with a different style tray. and yes, the zipper is supposed to be there ...
bye1.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
Sooooo, which one is period correct for a '70/4? I'm guessing the one pictured on the right, which was with the car when delivered.

Andy, you're saying that these cushions were factory pieces, supplied with the car, just as a tool kit, jack and owner's manual were? idea.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 30 2007, 08:28 PM) *

Sooooo, which one is period correct for a '70/4? I'm guessing the one pictured on the right, which was with the car when delivered.

Andy, you're saying that these cushions were factory pieces, supplied with the car, just as a tool kit, jack and owner's manual were? idea.gif

The (whichever, and I know nothing about the "zipper special", one on the right was part of the appearance group- at least in 1972 (at the point where retactable seat belts were installed. Where did the "zipper special" come from?

As in dozens of other posts, the early 914's were "anything goes". Though I find it mildly amuzing, how does one convince any halfway knowledgable judge that his 914 is correct? I say "halfway", because those are the most dangerous judges.
Pat
SirAndy
the zipper centers came later, the tray for them is similar to your early one ...

i had one in my car for a while, broke it and threw it away. still have the cushion, which looks just like yours. zipper and all.

and no, they didn't come with my car. i got them used from a 74 (i believe) ...
bye1.gif Andy
McMark
The early cars had the plastic tray, the later cars had the wooden box with the lift up lid. I believe the zipper pad was for very early cars, and the foam bottom pad was for mid year cars. But I'm not 100% on that. But I've seen all three, and I believe all three to be factory/dealer installed (my money is on factory).
Porsche Rescue
I have never seen the "zipper" cushion before. I have trouble accepting that it is a factory part. The early cars had the plastic two-compartment tray with the cushion formed to fit. The later cars ('73?) had the wooden box with the hinged cushion cover. I think the zipper is aftermarket.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The basket weave center cushion was an accessory sold by colgon years ago as a dealer available option. It is NOT a factory piece. the other one is. It was available in 70 71 72-74 and 75-76 styled upholstry. (yes there were four different smooth vinyl grains offered by the factory!
1970 Neun vierzehn
icon_bump.gif

This old thread is for Jeff Bowlsby to review ('cause I can't figure out how to post a linky in his accessory thread) headbang.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 31 2007, 10:29 AM) *

I have never seen the "zipper" cushion before. I have trouble accepting that it is a factory part. The early cars had the plastic two-compartment tray with the cushion formed to fit. The later cars ('73?) had the wooden box with the hinged cushion cover. I think the zipper is aftermarket.

agree.gif , though I'm not certain about '73
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.