Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stray heater hose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Plaindaner
Somehow, the driver side cabin heater hose came loose and found it's way to my fan. The wire from the hose is wrapped around the fan and or shaft. I got as much out as I could. Here's the question, short of dropping the engine, is there a way to get in there and unravel the hose wire? This sucks! mad.gif
SGB
The only thing back there besides the fan blades is the belt for the alternator. Could you reach in with wire snips and cut anything that seemed like the wire? It will take some good snips, b/c that wire is te-ough. Is it catching or grinding or otherwise causing problems? You might be able to leave it....
Plaindaner
QUOTE(SGB @ May 31 2007, 04:20 PM) *

The only thing back there besides the fan blades is the belt for the alternator. Could you reach in with wire snips and cut anything that seemed like the wire? It will take some good snips, b/c that wire is te-ough. Is it catching or grinding or otherwise causing problems? You might be able to leave it....

Based on how hot the oil was when I got home, I was thinking that the fan was locked up, but there wasn't any belt screeching. I'll give it a try. Thanks, Dane
sanman
If its a 4 the fan is direct drive you have to turn the engine to turn the fan if the engine is not locked up the fan is not. you may have to get someone roll the car in gear to spin the engine while you pull the wire with some pliers
bondo
You may have bits of heater tube covering your cooling fins and oil cooler. You might have to take off the tin.
Plaindaner
QUOTE(sanman @ May 31 2007, 04:38 PM) *

If its a 4 the fan is direct drive you have to turn the engine to turn the fan if the engine is not locked up the fan is not. you may have to get someone roll the car in gear to spin the engine while you pull the wire with some pliers

Cool! Like Keystone Kops!! beerchug.gif Cheers dude, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice, Dane
Plaindaner
QUOTE(bondo @ May 31 2007, 04:43 PM) *

You may have bits of heater tube covering your cooling fins and oil cooler. You might have to take off the tin.

Good thought, but bummer! That would explain the oil temp.
Plaindaner
QUOTE(Plaindaner @ May 31 2007, 04:46 PM) *

QUOTE(bondo @ May 31 2007, 04:43 PM) *

Good thought, but bummer! That would explain the oil temp.

Correction: It is wrapped on the first pulley you can get to, either alternator or idler. I found most of the hose wedged up against the fan intake. I think rolling it in gear and pulling wire will be the answer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.