Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another R/C 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
I got an email the otherday asking if I ever completed the RC 914 interior piece I was working on. The answer was no. Well, today I took another stab at this vacuum forming process with hopes to deliver this ready-to-run car finally. Well, while the latest results were far better than the previous ones, I'm not so pleased.

Anyway, here's what I've done: One pic shows the mold and one shows the first and last pieces to come off my home made former.
djm914-6
I won't be attaching the interior to the shell prior to delivery. I'm just not happy enough with the thing.

Here's some photos of the finished model:

djm914-6
mounted on chassis:
Bartlett 914
All I can say is WOW! Terrific looking RC car.
davep
That is a very detailed master you have. To have any hope, I think you would need tiny vents in every crevice. You might even have to try preforming the part on a very simple master to get the basic shape started.
scotty b
hijacked.gif Dave do you have any suggestions on htis? It is a BMW M chassis which was supposed to be correct but the rear wheels are too far back, and I have enlarged the holes as much as I am willing to in an attempt to shift it for clearance with no such luck..... sad.gif
Demick
Ha! Same paint job I'm going for. I finally got around to painting mine last weekend (after what, 2 years?). I still have to do the decals - artwork is done, just have to print and stick.
djm914-6
I couldn't make the decals that I wanted so most of this is paint (except for hood pins, trunk hold downs, lights and grill)
here's the reference photo:
Demick
Here it is with the decals. All done! Obviously I wasn't going for a completely faithful reproduction. Close enough for me.

Demick
djm914-6
Nice job Demick!! Tell me again what chassis you're using? I'm glad to see another person adding more scale touches like the roof line, sails and bumpers.

Bartlett 914 & DaveP: thank you for the compliments. I trued really hard to reporduce this gentleman's car with as much paint details as I possibly could. The lettering was all done under a magnifying glass using a cut down brush. I just wish that I could have done a couple more details.

Scotty B: Check to be sure that the extender piece between the gear box and frame isn't flipped. I doubt it is as your ride hight looks right, but check it anyway. The only other suggestion is to live with the rear or oval out the mounting holes to center the body one the chassis. While this is the corect chassis, the body is not up to Tamiya's higher standards.

One reason for going after a home (DIY) vacuum molding process is that I'm hoping to reproduce this shell with some detail changes and maybe to fit a different chassis. That will be some time down the road judging by my recent attempts at the interior and muffler pieces. For now, I'll keep going with smaller items. I'll try again at just molding the muffler and maybe some more light buckets like the ones one the front of this car (except smaller and more scale)
Demick
David

I can't believe you painted in all of those details. I wouldn't even consider trying to do that because I know it would come out crappy if I tried. The decals I used worked well, but aren't particularly rugged - so they are suitable for a display vehicle, but won't hold up well if scraped or scratched.

The chassis I'm using is an HPI RS4 Pro chassis. But I modified it to fit the body by narrowing the width and shortening the wheelbase by using RS4 Mini suspension and axle parts.

Goes like a bat out of hell with a hot modified motor. And it's all wheel drive so it handles the power with no problems and is easily controllable. I'll probably bring it to the WCR and terrorize the parking lot a bit.
djm914-6
Anyone want an LE inspired body before I put it on evilbay?
dlo914
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Jun 23 2007, 10:57 AM) *

drooley.gif
JPB
That is some sick work. If I didn't have to dump money into this beast of mine I'd love to have one completely done with the remote. What would be the damage bros? Not that I'm an ate up 914 SOB or anything. beer.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Jun 23 2007, 01:57 PM) *

Wrong combo for me. Do the other LE & I'm in!!!!!!

cool_shades.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Jun 23 2007, 10:57 AM) *

Yum Yum! How much? With some slight changes it could be an RC BBR
dlo914
what scale?
chris914
QUOTE(Demick @ Jun 1 2007, 08:33 AM) *

David

I can't believe you painted in all of those details. I wouldn't even consider trying to do that because I know it would come out crappy if I tried. The decals I used worked well, but aren't particularly rugged - so they are suitable for a display vehicle, but won't hold up well if scraped or scratched.

The chassis I'm using is an HPI RS4 Pro chassis. But I modified it to fit the body by narrowing the width and shortening the wheelbase by using RS4 Mini suspension and axle parts.

Goes like a bat out of hell with a hot modified motor. And it's all wheel drive so it handles the power with no problems and is easily controllable. I'll probably bring it to the WCR and terrorize the parking lot a bit.

Hi,

Wear did you find the parts? Is that all you had to do to make everything work.

AWD is the only way to go for RC's.

I gave up putting mine together because I didn't like any of the wimp chassis that fit it.
djm914-6
-Scale: 1/10 designed to fit the Tamiya M04L chassis.
-I can do a the other LE, just provide me a body.
-The stripes and lettering on this car is paint not sticker, so changes could be difficult.
-I'd like to get $70 for this BumbleBee. Shoot, the shells alone were selling for $35-40 so that doesn't leave a lot for my time and supplies.

If anyone is interested, I can sell the chassis that it's on too. I have almost $400 into it now and it's never been run. This is a well warmed over car with oil shocks, modified motor, light rims, reinforced (belted) slicks, bearings, etc.
john rogers
Very nice looking paint work. I am looking for a 1/5 (giant) scale body 914 to replace the Mercedes DTM body on our big car?
Johny Blackstain
Where does one get a shell? Thanks.

cool_shades.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Jun 25 2007, 04:25 PM) *
-Scale: 1/10 designed to fit the Tamiya M04L chassis.

it would also fit the M-02L (originally came with Porsche Boxster and Porsche 911)

if anybody is interested in a M-04L (BMW M Roadster) - I have one NOS (MIB, unbuilt)
I was too lazy to build it, so I bought a ready built chassis on eBay rolleyes.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 25 2007, 05:54 PM) *

1/10 bodies are always offered on eBay - almost every week

wavey.gif Gustl
JoeSharp
I've have been told by 3 members here that they still have bodies that have not been painted. I myself would like to have another one. My next car will be on the Tamiya M03R chassis. After building the car I gave to Joe O' for doing the AR I've decided to try a front wheel drive because with more motor the MO4 chassis wants to swap ends under hard acceleration. That car had fluid shocks a Novak electronic speed control, ball bearings throughout, and a hot motor.
I gave him the car assembled as a '67 Bug and did a conversion to the 914RS at the presentation.
Sorry I cant find a picture of it as the 914RS.
djm914-6
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 25 2007, 12:54 PM) *

cool_shades.gif

http://gtautoperformance.com/porsche914sho...php?cPath=27_31

http://www.racersparadise.de/index.html?ka...und_hpi_gti.htm

djm914-6
If anyone knows the owner of this car (Peter Jenkins) can you please let him know I'm trying to reach him.

IPB Image
Gustl
AFAIK it's ChicagoPete idea.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.