Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-13b
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Art.Lee
Just wanted to say hi and let people know about my 914 rotary build. This is goingto be a track only car (it's a tube frame 914) If anyone has done a rotary build I would LOVE to talk to you about what worked and what didn't

Step 1: WooHoo Got my 13b-rett engine in and getting ready to build it into my 914.

Next Task strip it right down.
Rotary'14
Let me be the first to say WELCOME to the club!

welcome.png

I only got a N/A streetport 13B with ITBs. (it's a work in progress)

-Rob
Twystd1
A twin turbo engine....

SHWEEEEETTTTTTTTTTT........

Are you aware of the 70 plus vacuum lines on that engine?

I am...... Had to replace em all. If one falls off...... It's bad news.....PPooofff

You gunna run a single Turbo?

You gunna run the J&S knock sensor setup on the (edit) 2nd rotor?

C'Mon... Tell us what your gunna do...!!!!!!!!

Yee Haw... This is gunna be a FAST CAR... No doubt.

Cheers,

Clayton
grantsfo
Oh man tis is going to be cool! smilie_pokal.gif You may want to post on 914club site too. 13b is perfect motor for the 914.
djfamousa
Vacuum lines... hmmm make sure you replace them with high temp silicone lines. Boost problems are a biotch.
So.Cal.914
welcome.png

Welcome and sign in at the front desk, no cooking and no hookers...Well no cooking.
Art.Lee
My current plans are to strip everything off. go with aftermarket headers and single turbo t3/t4 combo (Not looking to make insane power) . I was shocked at the amount of vacuum lines on this motor! Haven't decided on a brand of EMS yet. Looking for ideas so if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them!
Rotary'14
QUOTE(Art.Lee @ May 31 2007, 07:23 PM) *

My current plans are to strip everything off. go with aftermarket headers and single turbo t3/t4 combo (Not looking to make insane power) . I was shocked at the amount of vacuum lines on this motor! Haven't decided on a brand of EMS yet. Looking for ideas so if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them!

I'd hop on over to www.rx7club.com and check out their Engine management forums. You can read about what some of the other FDs are running,,
but if the budget is gonna get tight(or you just plain wanna learn) I think MegaSquirt would work for you with your original FD stuff. But if that seems too complicated in regards to ignition, you can always use a FC ignition system, which have been proven to work with turbo 13Bs.

What are you doing about your engine mount? SoloRacer has a trick tri-rotor engine mount you might want to use as a starting point. Then again you can always change your front cover and oil pan(and pick up tube) to a GSL-SE type, then the engine mount is SUPER EASY,,,, and I think a fellow club member might have an engine mount made already (too bad I don't remember his name. Twysted1 did a valve job on his crate engine,, his rotary blew) feel free to chime in here with his name oh Twysted1,,,,
In my long winded reply I just realised that unless you are gonna run the entire stock system,, you need a method to meter your oil unless you run pre-mix. I don't know of an aftermarket EMS that will control the electric oil metering pump that your engine has.

-Rob
(I'm long winded because I can finally help!!)

Twystd1
I am Twystd1.

Me thinks you are reffering to someone else. I know these engines all too well. (I Love em)

But I have NOT done a 914 conversion...

Clayton
JPB
welcome.png Bien venue! I am pleased to see you have officially joined us in an unrestricted and shameless perverted frame of mind my 914 brother. Me likes your both feet in first approache to the dark side.

If you strike, as you must, strike with power! smilie_pokal.gif
Chris Pincetich
During a recent visit to Eason Auto in Enerville CA (near Oakland) I saw a 914 13B conversion. Black, flares, and low. Kinda krusty. In the shop for repairs to doors, window mechanism, silly 914 stuff. Bill Eason told me, "this car is FAST!"...he is an AMA crew guy on weekends...I am really impressed with how well and how LOW that engine fit in a 914. Good luck!
Art.Lee
Thanks for all the reply's guys. I haven't figured out a motor mount yet. I made some progress stripping the motor. As you can see I ended up with a box of spare pieces smile.gif . I felt like I was on a treasure hunt.
drive-ability
Hey,
That's a Cosmo 13B TT, It will run nice in a 914 boldblue.gif I had a 3rd gen RX7, 1993 and it went nice and handled as good as anything I've ever driven.............
Keep us posted! In a 914 unlike my Rx7 you may have a lot more room in the engine bay. Just keep it cool and run it a bit rich and it will be happy..
Art.Lee
Just an update on my progress. I have started collecting parts.

-901 Transmission came in.
-New S4 Water pump housing and water pump
-914 Trailing Arms (These thing look brand new! I am more than impressed with there condition)
-Haltech E8 Engine Management System and sensors.

Still have a long ways to go but getting closer smile.gif
Art.Lee
Quick Update. Got My turbo.

It's a AiResearh/Garrett T04B On-Center

Compressor:
A/R: .60
Major: 70mm
Minor: 52mm

Turbine:
A/R: .69
Major: 73.5mm
Minor: 69mm

I am now starting to tear apart the engine to rebuild it. Will post some pictures ones it's all apart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.