Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original & Still owners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
No, I didn't check!

How many 914 owners still have the 914 they bought NEW?

What model?

What'd you pay?

What's its condition?

And, just for curiosity, what other Porsche/s have you owned?

And, also for curiosity, any of you have/had 904/906/908/910/916/917,etc variations?

Pat
Joe Owensby
I bought my 1.7 new in early June of 1973, almost exactly 34 years ago. I drove it without spending any money on it for about 17 years, odometer died at 185,000 miles, drove it about 3 years after that. Only replaced clutch about 5 or so times, motor mounts once, and rear shocks once. Stopped driving it because someone broke out the front window. I kept it in the gargage for several years after that with intentions of rebuilding it- but kids, etc. got in the way. I screwed up and later left it sitting out in the rain for several years, and the rear window came unglued and allowed water to seep in- rusted out the floorpan and back firewall. I am now in the later stages of totally rebuilding it. have all the welding done, and am applying paint- finally after about 1 1/2 years of work. I have a 2056 engine kit from raby assembled and almost ready to install. Still need to check out the transmission.

I paid about $5600 for it new at Autohaus in Charlotte, NC, at a time when I think you could have gotten a VW bug for 1800 to 2000. It used to get consistently 42 mpg on a long interstate trip at 70 -75 mph. I would drive from south of Charlotte to Philadelphia and still have over 1 1/2 gallons of fuel left. That range was a rarety in the 1973 to 1974 era, and was really useful when the oil embargo was happening, and gas would sometimes be unavailable on weekends. I could go wherever I wanted without having to worry about gas.
Joe O
anderssj
35 years as of May 27th . . . just found my original receipt last week while looking for some other stuff. At the time, I figured I'd have the car no more than 5 or 6 years.

Irish Green with tan interior, appearance group--and a set of Am-Racing "LeMans" wheels that were included as a free upgrade from Alpine P-A in Colorado Springs. I think the total cost (including taxes and tags) was about $4300.

It was my daily driver from new until 1989, and has been in CO (72-73), MN (73), FL (73), AZ (74-75), WA (76-79), VA (79-82), NC (83), WA (83-86), VA (87-90), CO (91-93), and VA (94-present).

Original 1.7 was replaced with a rebuilt 2.0 (elgin cam, dellorto carbs) in 1982, side-shift installed in 1985, longs replaced and car repainted in 1992.

Almost sold the car in 1987, but my better half talked me into keeping it--she said the kids would (eventually) grow up and move out, and that we'd enjoy the car "in our old age." wub.gif

It's currently in pretty nice condition--we drove it a couple of times this week--but it STILL has an intermitent no-hot-start problem I've been fighting since 1973 . . . .

Others? Recently bought another 1-owner car from a friend of mine--it hasn't run since 93, and is pretty rusted. If I can get it fixed up and running, he's going to buy it back, but it may be too far gone (I'll be seeking additional advice on it later this weekend).

It's REALLY HARD to believe it's been 35 years! blink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.