Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bolt on turbo in the classifieds?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
is this true? has anyone used this before? i heard a while back that long ago a company sold turbos for the 914, is this one of them? just caught my eye and that old saying is the first thing that came to my mind...
DuckRyder
You can't turbo a 914................ blink.gif huh.gif

idea.gif
fiid
It's true - you just can't turbo a type 4.
Mueller
that system does not look like a commercial kit, it looks more like a homemade unit
(look at the brazing), I'm pretty sure a guy on Pelican was running it for a while, I think the turbo needs rebuilding (bad seals I think)

not a bad price to get you started I guess........I'd rather have a blow-thru system running FI
Air_Cooled_Nut
Evill Ed's 1.7L Turbo (article circa 2002)
biosurfer1
HA! so you can turbo a 914...sort of...if you have an extra 924 turbo laying around, a sweet engine, lots of fabrication skills, and a kick ass car to start with, its just that simple. if anyone were going to, i would assume that the engine you start with would have to be pretty much problem free cause a turbo would only amplify any problems.
redshift
All you need is a fiberglass replica of the rear of the car mounted on a gimble that is mounted to an articulating arm, all the supplies... and maybe a place to sit, 'cause you are going to be there a while.

M
Brad Roberts
Here is the setup Sammy Gore used a few years back (Andy ran him off the BBS).

B
Brad Roberts
ergwer
Brad Roberts
Somebody needs to build a turbo charged Nickie engine.

B
airsix
Andy ran Sam off the list? WTF is that all about? Sam was cool. Way cool.

-Ben M.
Brad Roberts
It was a tongue in cheak comment ... you didnt see the tongue..

Andy and Sammy got into a "non Porsche" conversation back several months ago on the BBS over something... and Sammy left us.

I dont think Andy knew who Sammy was and I dont think that Sammy knew who Andy was (they had both met and laughed together face to face in LA at the annual after Dunkles pizza fest)

We get a lot of people that leave...I dont fight to keep them here..

b
Tom Perso
I'm selling the turbo kit. As for the seals, I am planning to have them checked out. It didn't smoke when the 2nd previous owner had it installed. When Randy ran it on the 2056, I'm not so sure the oil return line was not plumbed quite right, therefor it could have backed up into the Turbo past the seals.

I'll investigate.

If you can turbo a lawnmower, you can turbo a 914... wink.gif

Tom
Brad Roberts
This question sucks... but I ask it every time:

Why did he pull it off ??

B
Tom Perso
Brad - that's a good question.

It still needed dialing in and the oil problem was the reason. He threw 40 IDF's on it and was working on sorting out the turbo.

Then I came along and bought the whole works.

Hence, here we are.

I'll be forthcoming and have the turbo looked at. No reason to sell someone junk.

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.