Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper pedals or clutch throw while using a 915 tranny?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
I am installing a 915 and while comparing parts I noticed the clutch lever on the 911 pedal is longer than the 914. This means that when depressing the clutch the cable will not move as much using a 914 pedal. I have not heard of anyone having a problem using the 914 pedal but I would like to hear comments from those that have converted. Does your pedal travel far enough to disengage the clutch and is the action too close to the floor?

It would be easy to extend the 914 lever but the throttle and clutch levers would be too close and something would have to move right or left.

Comments?
wbergtho
I thought they are the same. Are you saying the lever arm is longer on the 911 pedal assemblies? If so, you may have to modify your lever to get the necessary throw. Something I have never compared.

Bill
PRS914-6
Yes the actual arm is longer from a 911. Anyone using the stock 914 pedals with no problems or low pedal?

Here is a picture from a 77 911 shaft
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Never knew there was a difference. The 914 pedal asm works fine, but I would say there is no excess in the travel. Maybe the 911 lever length would be better??
PRS914-6
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jun 2 2007, 08:44 PM) *

Never knew there was a difference. The 914 pedal asm works fine, but I would say there is no excess in the travel. Maybe the 911 lever length would be better??

It sounds like you are using all your travel? Does your clutch engage close to the floor? If yes, that tells me I need to put in the longer shaft. Calculating the difference in length, comes out that the longer arm would pull 24% more

I also installed the 911 helper spring. The spring is supposed to work so that when the pedal is close to the top, the spring goes over center and the pedal comes all the way up and releases the load on the throwout bearing. When you push the pedal down just a little bit, the spring pulls the pedal down and helps depress the clutch. Since this is a street car, I wanted a light pedal. In addition, the 914 clutch pedal pushes on the clutch all the time and I didn't want that.

I used the 911 pedal base and cut off the arm off the 911 pedal and welded it on the 914 pedal. It's tricky to get it just right but it works pretty slick.

Pedal up
Click to view attachment
Pedal up
Click to view attachment
Pedal down
Click to view attachment
Larry.Hubby
The 911 cluth shaft is also longer than the 914 shaft, and has the hole for the roll pin that fastens it to the cluth pedal at a different angle than the 914 part. There is a spacer used with the 911 shaft that takes care of the length difference, but, unless you re-drill the roll pin hole at the correct angle for the 914 pedal, or swap the 914 pedal for a 911 one, you still won't have enough clutch travel. If you use the 911 shaft with the 914 pedal, the lever will be angled too far to the front without the pedal depressed, and will move farther to the front as the pedal goes down. How much travel you need depends on which throwout lever setup you use down at the transmission, but I can report that, if you use the '78 and later setup with the over-center leaf spring, there's just barely enough travel with the un-modified 911 shaft and the 914 pedal. My clutch always engaged way too near the floor for my taste until I welded up a modified clutch shaft with the 911 arm length, but the 914 arm angle.

Here's the difference. This is a 911 and a stock 914 clutch shaft with a single long 6mm bolt going through the roll pin holes in both shafts.

Click to view attachment
PRS914-6
Larry, thanks for the info. I too noticed the different roll pin location and it would seem that the arm should be straight up and down at half it's travel (914 style)

Shortening the 911 shaft is easy but I think adding length to the 914 lever is even easier. The 911 pedals are different and about 3/4" taller.

If you lengthened your clutch arm, surely you must have run into problems with the throttle since it is right above the clutch. I'll probably raise that too since I need a little more movement for the 993. I just hope there is room in the tunnel. (car still at painter)
Larry.Hubby
I think interference with the throttle is the reason the factory lengthened the 911 shaft. I stayed with the long (911) shaft length, and arm length, but changed the angle to match the 914 arm. That seemed to do the job. However, I must admit, I also got tired of the clutch cables breaking from being bent around the pulley down at the transmission, and went to a hydraulic clutch, which required lengthening the shaft even more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.