Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine cases
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72914S
Are case interchangable? Could you use the internals from a 2.0 (and heads) on a 1.7 or 1.8 case without problems?
thomasotten
Yes.
72914S
Is any one case better than the other?
So.Cal.914
I read on one of Jakes posts that he liked useing the 1.7, not sure why. confused24.gif
Katmanken
There is one combo that won't work with just swapping parts. That is the 1.7 heads on a 1.8 or 2.0 set of cylinders. You will have to bore out the 1.7 heads to allow the larger cylinders to fit.

Bus motor cases are also useable but they have a hole machined in the case for the oil filler pipe that will require some blocking ingenuity.
Ken
72914S
So all my 2.0 parts will work on a 1.7 case with out any machining?
So.Cal.914
Yes, but have you checked the case to see if it needs a line bore?
Katmanken
Yes if you use the 2.0 crank, rods, cylinders, and heads.
sean_v8_914
maybe Jake likes teh 1.7 cases cause they may be less stressed
McMark
agree.gif Sean's got it right. 1.7's usually aren't as beat on.
JPB
The diffrence; shoot thats easy. Some are leakers and some are squeekers. Them 1.7, as mentioned above from the great one, usually show no signs of wear on the bottom end thus only prompting a top end rebuild or upgrades. Up grade the oil pump by all costs!:beer1:
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 2 2007, 02:00 PM) *

agree.gif Sean's got it right. 1.7's usually aren't as beat on.

Makes sence...
jimkelly
my recollection was that jake said the metal composition of the 1.7 - i think - was overall better/stronger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.