Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Intermediate Plate gasket thickness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toomanyinkc
The old gasket was 0.005" The new gasket kit contains three gaskets measuring 0.0065, 0.0065, and 0.0095". I expected to find a 0.005" gasket in the kit and use it. Will using a 0.0065" gasket throw the pinion depth off too much?
Cap'n Krusty
Measure the old one at a point where it's not crushed. You'll probably find it's closer to your new one. The Cap'n
davep
Whatever the Cap'n says, he is the expert.
The gasket is very critical, so you do have to get it exactly correct.
Very good thing that you are questioning it.
BigD9146gt
Measure the new shim/gaskets and multiply your caliper/micrometer number by 25.4. Since these are metric, the thickness your after will be simple, and devisable by 5 or 10. So your old shim/gasket that measured at .005" is .127mm. Since its old and smashed (and take multiple measurements to get an average), you can conclude that it was a .15mm shim/gasket.

Cheers, Don.
Dr Evil
No need to convert as you measure both gasket sets with the same micrometer. I agree, measure the old in a spot where it was pocketed by one of the voids in the plate. The smooshed gasket will not tell you much.
TimT
Will using a 0.0065" gasket throw the pinion depth off too much?

yes and no...no not on ring and pinion set that have wear..

What did you do to the transmission?

Have you changed any part of the gear stack ,changed a gear set?, new spider?

If you changed anything that contributes to the height /length of the gear stack you will need to check the R&P , if you just did syncro/dog teeth replacement, the ring and pinion should return to "spec" when you button things up..

I still use prussian blue, or white grease on the R&P gears and check the wipe before I button a transmission up.
PRS914-6
Lots of time the gaskets are "color sized. Most likely you have different colors in your kit. See if they match with the color of the old one. They should be close.
Dr Evil
Most kits are no longer colored AND you realy can not trust the colors when they are. Its better to mic them.
TimT
I just finished re gearing the trans on my 911 ... a few minutes ago yellowsleep[1].gif

The latest Elring gasket set I have from WorldPac has the gasket thickness watermarked onto each gasket.

the set I recieved had two 0.15mm and one 0.25 mm... though I have had in hand gasket sets with 0.5mm_0.10_0.15mm gaskets..

Even after setting the R&P the using the somewhat convoluted Porsche method.. I check the wipe of the gear set with prussian blue or grease...
TimT
happen to have a spare gasket, and camera handy!!!

toomanyinkc
The gaskets in my set are all the same color.

Thanks for the good advice. I miked an area that wasn't smashed and it is ~0.0067, matching the thin gasket in the set. Perfect. The trans is back together and it shifts great! (on the garage floor, anyway)

I was just swapping the shift rods from a sideshifter to a tailshifter. The sideshift trans wouldn't shift out of 4th or 5th when I got it and was also locked up. I discovered why at the end of the day; a PO had swapped the short and long springs that push the balls into the detents of the shift rods. That would have been a simple fix if I had found it before I swapped the sideshift rods to the tailshift trans! Oh, well. The synchros looked a little more worn in that one anyway.

It'll be interesting to try the prussian blue the next time I have one apart - although perhaps I'll be happier not looking at it because I'll want it to be perfect since I don't have the experience to know what is good enough.

Fred
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.