Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA RULES?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
JPB
So what is classic and what is not? I see some cars with chrome bumpers and others with FG. Where do they say okay, thats to much? beer.gif
Joe Ricard
I got tired of hearing that's too much.
So when I went to Street mod 2 I was allowed fiberglass bumpers.

Street Prepared I beleive does not allow fibeglass bumpers BUT you can run early ones which are very light.

I have the original early bumpers from the Red Neck Racer up in my attic. For the rightprice they are for sale. painted black which does not matter for street prepared. C stock I think some mayhavea protest problem if these were backfit to a later car. I know I would.
john rogers
There seems to some difference between SCCA areas on what they accept. I imagine you mean auto-x and if in stock then it would have to be a steel bumper the other classes would allow the fiberglass if I remember? The best bet would be to contact an SCCA inspector to get the rules defined since the are pretty picky.
JPB
My homey Dan is running track and he said that many run FG front bumpers with that air intake cut out in front. He said he must run steel lids but they seem to overlook the front and rear bumpers. I'm confused blink.gif
john rogers
They don't mention bumpers any more since most cars don't really have them, like the 914 does. They now have an aluminum/foam crush block and a fiberglass cover. I found this when I pulled the front end of my 03 Mini-S to install some driving lights. When I asked the dealer they said there is no more "bumper" as the whole front end is a crush zone with a pretty cover. I'd say if you have the f/g bumpers, run them as that will save a bit of weight at the far ends of the car.
jhadler
I think what is being missed here is the most important question...

What class are you considering running in. SCCA classes are not a one-size-fits-all. There are completely different classes for road racing, compared with autox (Solo), and even still more classes for road rally, rallycross, and even Time Trials.

The short answer is that some classes allow fiberglass bumpers, some do not. If you want to be competitive in a class, then you gotta build to the rules. If you just want to have fun, then run a class that above your level of prep, so you don't upset anyone in the class. And if you still beat them, all the better!

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.