Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Snafu
Been having a little problem with the turn signals. I noticed that the dash indicator would light both directionals if I activated the right turn but would work correctly with the left turn. Now....they don't light up at all and the turn signals don't work when I have the headlights on. They work fine with the lights off(even though the dash indicator doesn't) I did have a bulb out in the rear and I checked the connections while I had it apart.

This being my first 914, where should I look next?

Anybody ever experiance something like this?

Thanks in advance!
kropkom
Did you ever figure this out. I have the same problem with both inside flashing.
Tobra
Both arrows on tach flashing is normal when R or L signal activated. Working then not working sounds likea bad connection.

Don't know about not working with lights on, is this a new development.
904svo
Does your 4WAY flasher work? All 4 bulbs should flash! front and rear if they don't
change bulbs first then check the grounds connection next. Let me know what
happens.
Snafu
4 way flasher doesn't work. Now dash indicators don't either.

Weird thing is The worked for a second then I turned the headlights on and pulled the flasher....lights got dim.

Flashers, turn signals don't work at all now.....

Cap'n Krusty
Locate and repair the ground connections for the affected components. Work the emergency flasher switch rapidly and repeatedly (like 10-15 times) ....... It gets corroded inside. Can't hurt! The Cap'n
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 6 2007, 07:32 PM) *

Locate and repair the ground connections for the affected components. Work the emergency flasher switch rapidly and repeatedly (like 10-15 times) ....... It gets corroded inside. Can't hurt! The Cap'n

weak ground thumb3d.gif thats why they work w/o lights, to much currnt draw with extra load-
904svo
Check the connections at fuse #11 thats where it get it's power from then check your grounds, also make sure that the red wires on the + battery post are good
and clean they go to the fuse block.
Snafu
I checked all connections. Negative was loose at battery. Still no signals. Hazards don't work either.

Bad relay maybe?
904svo
Check the ground connection in the upper left corner, under the dash, its a bundle
of brown wires , remove it and clean up that connection and reattatched, these are
the ground for the dash. The flasher relay could be bad also. If you find any Brown
wires loose reattatched them to a ground.
mills914/s
Im going to try this to....
I have the same thing going on in my car exactly the same.
But when I hit the brakes the left front blinker lights up. WTF?
orange914
QUOTE(904svo @ Jun 9 2007, 04:45 PM) *

Check the ground connection in the upper left corner, under the dash, its a bundle
of brown wires , remove it and clean up that connection and reattatched, these are
the ground for the dash. The flasher relay could be bad also. If you find any Brown
wires loose reattatched them to a ground.

its always good to us a little di-elctric grease also -good for long term contact-
orange914
QUOTE(mills914/s @ Jun 10 2007, 07:56 AM) *

Im going to try this to....
I have the same thing going on in my car exactly the same.
But when I hit the brakes the left front blinker lights up. WTF?

i'll bet you'r curcuit is seeking a good ground and finding (backfeeding) through turn switch or whatever route to your front blinker. i've experienced (chevy trucks/faulty ground on front exterior light sockets) doing almost the exact thing (front blinkers would seek ground thru dash turn signal gauge lights/interior indicators would both light up but outside wouldn't)
GROUNDS GROUNDS GROUNDS thumb3d.gif
Snafu
Well I finally got around to working with the car today. I pulled the fuse panel down and checked all the connections and I noticed that the turn signal fuse was blown. I don't know how I overlooked it. I also noticed another wire that is fused coming from the the turn signal fuse going under the dash too. I checked that fuse to find it had blown as well so I replaced it too. Connected the battery again and heard a "pop" sound. Found the inline fuse of the "mystery wire" had blown again. Needless to say I went through a pack of fuses. Another thing I noticed was that the left (drivers side) marker light and turn signal light were brighter on that side...

Any ideas?
904svo
QUOTE(Snafu @ Jun 28 2007, 05:03 PM) *

Well I finally got around to working with the car today. I pulled the fuse panel down and checked all the connections and I noticed that the turn signal relay fuse was blown. I don't know how I overlooked it. I also noticed another wire that is fused coming from the the turn signal fuse going under the dash too. I checked that fuse to find it had blown as well so I replaced it tool. Connected the baterry again and heard a "pop" sound. Found the inline fuse of the "mystery wire" had blown again. Needless to say I went through a pack of fuses. Another thing I noticed was that the left (drivers side) marker light and turn signal light were brighter on that side...

Any ideas?

Fuse#9 should have 3 wires on it, black/yellow to brake light switch, two red/white
one goes to the EM flasher switch the other to the GEN light bulb. Remove the wires one at a time and see which wire blows the fuse. Remove the fuse from the mystery wire and see if your lights work, if so trace out the mystery wire and see
where it goes and let us know.

Snafu
I removed the fuse but the flasher/signals still don't work. I'll give your suggestion a try. Any ideas as to why the driver's side marker light and turn signal light are brighter than the other side?
904svo
QUOTE(Snafu @ Jun 28 2007, 06:32 PM) *

I removed the fuse but the flasher/signals still don't work. I'll give your suggestion a try. Any ideas as to why the driver's side marker light and turn signal light are brighter than the other side?

This is normally a bad ground or bad bulbs on that side.

Do these steps and let me know what happens.
With Key off!
left turn signal on= front and rear marker lights on
right turn signal on= front and rear marker lights on
This is a quick check of the grounds for each light circuit
turn signal switch in netural
turn on parking lights=front and rear lights on
this checks the power and wiring to each light
Turn off parking lights
Turn on 4 way flasher
this check power and the flasher.
Turn off 4 way flasher.
Turn on key!
step on the brake pedal= rear brake lights should work
this check the fuse and brake switch
Check turn signals now, they should work
if both turn signal indicators lights light this is telling you
the bulb for the other side is burn out or is the wrong type
bulb installed or the flasher is bad.
Note. Turn signal inducator bulbs use the bulb for the other side for ground
to light it
Apply the hand brake= brake light should flash
checks the switch on EM brake and flasher

If any of these steps fail,

FIX IT first before doing the next step

Dave_Darling
Replace any bulbs recently? Putting a single-filament bulb into a socket for a dual-filament bulb will make Very Strange Things happen to your car. (Like: it keeps running after the key is off, but only when the turn signal switch is down!)

The front turn signals should have dual-filament bulbs in them.

--DD
EyeTrip
I had a similar problem, weird stuff changing with key on and switch selections. After hours of chasing wires headbang.gif it turned out to be the relay.
Snafu
With Key off!

Nothing.

lights work

Turn off parking lights
Turn on 4 way flasher

Blows fuse

doesnt work
Turn off 4 way flasher.
Turn on key!

works

5.Check turn signals now, they should work
to light it

sad.gif nope

Snafu
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 29 2007, 03:54 AM) *

Replace any bulbs recently? Putting a single-filament bulb into a socket for a dual-filament bulb will make Very Strange Things happen to your car. (Like: it keeps running after the key is off, but only when the turn signal switch is down!)

The front turn signals should have dual-filament bulbs in them.

--DD

This is where it all started. I noticed the driver's side tail light was out
so I replaced the bulb. The turn signals worked fine before that.

headbang.gif
Snafu
Here is a picture of the black wire with the fuse that keeps blowing
904svo
QUOTE(Snafu @ Jun 29 2007, 07:40 AM) *

With Key off!

Nothing.

lights work

Turn off parking lights
Turn on 4 way flasher

Blows fuse

doesnt work
Turn off 4 way flasher.
Turn on key!

works

5.Check turn signals now, they should work
to light it

sad.gif nope

Lets fix #1 first.

Remove fuse #5 (left side), fuse #6 (right side)

Remove the bulbs on the left and right sides
Check left side first
check the contact for a false ground, if ground is not there
replace the bulbs and replace fuse #5
turn on the left turn signal.
bulbs should work.
Repeat the above for the right side
fuse #6

Let me know what you find.
904svo
QUOTE(Snafu @ Jun 29 2007, 10:27 AM) *

Here is a picture of the black wire with the fuse that keeps blowing

Remove that BLACK WIRE an see if your lights work, that wire is something
that was added trace it out and see where it goes.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
i would suggest that since you just reconnected the assemblies that the problem lies in the connections at the assemblies, specifically that you have attached a brown ground wire to a hot lead!!!! Please look in the "Tech Tips 700" for the wiring hookups. I really think that this will solve your problem. The main thing to consider is that on the front assemblies one of the spades goes all of the way through the connector and the other two are riveted on. Please connect the brown ground lead to the connector that goes all of the way through the connector (31)
pin31
agree.gif
Snafu

i would suggest that since you just reconnected the assemblies that the problem lies in the connections at the assemblies, specifically that you have attached a brown ground wire to a hot lead!!!! Please look in the "Tech Tips 700" for the wiring hookups. I really think that this will solve your problem. The main thing to consider is that on the front assemblies one of the spades goes all of the way through the connector and the other two are riveted on. Please connect the brown ground lead to the connector that goes all of the way through the connector (31)

checked...made sure the brown wire was on 31.

removed the black wire. goes somewhere in the dash. clap56.gif Got the emergency lights to work but still no turn signals. blink.gif

Will update later.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Snafu @ Jun 29 2007, 01:33 PM) *

removed the black wire. goes somewhere in the dash. clap56.gif Got the emergency lights to work but still no turn signals. blink.gif

Will update later.

hopefully something has not melted!

Snafu
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 29 2007, 03:50 PM) *

hopefully something has not melted!

unsure.gif

I hope not
904svo
QUOTE(Snafu @ Jun 29 2007, 12:33 PM) *

Will update later.

Make sure fuses #8&9 are good now, don' forget to turn on key for the turn signals.
Snafu
OK guys... smile.gif Some success/progress.

Now I'm starting to think the problem may be in the column or the switch mechanism itself. When I have the key in the neutral position and engage the turn signal, I can here it "click" like it wants to work. After fiddling with it I've found that If I put the right amount (slightest) pressure to activate the left turn signal, I can get it to work. I can't do the same when trying to activate the right signal though.

Hummm.

I feel like I'm really close... biggrin.gif

Thoughts?
904svo
QUOTE(Snafu @ Jul 1 2007, 05:32 PM) *

OK guys... smile.gif Some success/progress.

Now I'm starting to think the problem may be in the column or the switch mechanism itself. When I have the key in the neutral position and engage the turn signal, I can here it "click" like it wants to work. After fiddling with it I've found that If I put the right amount (slightest) pressure to activate the left turn signal, I can get it to work. I can't do the same when trying to activate the right signal though.

Hummm.

I feel like I'm really close... biggrin.gif

Thoughts?

Sounds like a bad switch.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.