Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We Need an INSURABLE IDENTITY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
rick 918-S
[B]If we are going to consider having an event separate from any other group and need to get our own insurance we need to form a official club. This consists of a board or oganizing group with elected officers, we need to have official meetings and have notes published. We need a treasurer, we need to apply for a non-profit status and file with the government.

Otherwise we need to get under PCA's umbrella incase it rains law suits. IE; the band that lite the bar on fire with the pyro tecnics.

Thoughts? Observations? Suggestions? Anyone?
JeffBowlsby
How far can we go (how much can we get away with?) without requiring all that bureaucracy?

For examples:

I work in the construction industry in an area of practice where lawsuits are rampant. I see it everyday...a named party in a suit gets dropped because they have no assets/money/INSURANCE. No blood in turnips you know.

For our 914 breakfasts and drives, they are origanized to the extent that an email notice is sent out telling of the time and agenda. On the drives, everyone is personally responsible for their own driving eating habits...and any damages they may cause to any other party. There is no 'organization' to sue becasue they are simply a group of individuals representing only themselves.

Now I am sure that a venue to host the size of this event will probably demand insurance from some viable entity or the event won't happen, which is why an organization was proposed. So maybe we need to rethink a few things.

If we reserved a gropup campsite/beach somewhere (assuming there is one large enough to handle 100 cars) would we need insurance? That doesnt address teh autocross or vendors...(maybe the vendors provide their own insurance?)

What if we as individuals were able to reserve someplace, and just coincidently showed up in 100 914s? Maybe we have to limit the attendance to the number of spaces that the venue will accommodate.

What if a single existing business entity stepped up to the plate to host the event...and insure it...called it a 'business party' and wrote it off (reimbursed of course by advanced ticket sales)? Someone like GPR/Ottos/PP...
rick 918-S
I was speaking only to the AX part of the event. Otherwise I think were fine. The venue's insurance would cover Jon Q. public, Our personal auto insurance would cover any liability for the ooops factor. But if were holding an Ax We need to cover our bootyshake.gif
JeffBowlsby
Then isnt teaming up with PCA the best way to do it? Are they willing? Who can contact them? The only PCA guy I know is Rob W...
Queenie
Mark met with the local PCA recently and addressed some of these issues. Check the AutoX thread.
steve@ottosvenice.com
I was just kinda wondering whats up? It seems that we are looking at two paths here. One a Cars Show / Social Event with Tech Forums and Talk Story sessions. The other is a Ax or other speed event.

Just a suggestion here but we may get better results by combining forces and doing a 4cyl event there by getting 356 and 912 owners.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(steve@ottosvenice.com @ Dec 10 2003, 05:42 PM)
I was just kinda wondering whats up? It seems that we are looking at two paths here. One a Cars Show / Social Event with Tech Forums and Talk Story sessions. The other is a Ax or other speed event.

Just a suggestion here but we may get better results by combining forces and doing a 4cyl event there by getting 356 and 912 owners.

Steve, do you have any contacts? Put out the feelers and see what's up. Where do they hold their AX meets? We can alway's use a fresh idea. Eventually we will need to make some decisions and move on.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Dec 10 2003, 12:30 PM)
I was speaking only to the AX part of the event. Otherwise I think were fine.

-any- event with moving vehicles "should" be covered. my WCW Tour was a listed PCA Region event. there are some hoops to jump through but basically it's a pro-forma application with PCA NAtional. not too soon, not too late. participants sign the waiver, and off you go. technically, all PCA tours require an 'observer's report' that is designed to make sure the event was actually organised, that it was not a thinly-disguised road race, and to determine what kinds of things could/should be done better in future similar events.

(something i learned - the chase car must carry water / coolant! too many water-cooled 914's nowadays not to !)

i understand what Jeff's saying about contractors 'going bare' but the risk of losing everything - even if it's not much - seems unpleasant to me ... the risk is small but the consequences great.
EdwardBlume
You can get sued for anything. NO ONE should risk personal loss because of someone's dumb or accidental actions.

PCA is the way to go. The caveat, you have to follow the rules and run a safe event. Any site will require insurance.

Otherwise, you can form a car club, LLC or whatever, but good luck in finding an insurer.

CYA - trust me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.