Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: We lost a good one today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zymurgist
Today I lost my father.

For over 30 years, Peter Panton was an important part of my life. He had no obligation to raise me or my sister, but he did anyway. He helped to build a stable, normal life for a single mom and two kids, long before it was fashionable to be a single mom. He made a decent living in computers long before you needed a master's degree to get an interview. Peter showed me my first Porsche, and owned a BMW long before yuppies discovered German engineering. His sense of humor was different, but I appreciated it because I think much along the same lines.

I am forever in his debt, not only for introducing me to computers and air cooled sports cars and single-lens-reflex cameras and so much more, but mostly for being there.

Even though 1000 words would barely scratch the surface, that's about all that I can write right now.
914nerd
Sorry to hear about your loss
It sounds like the world has lost a good man
BigDBass
I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry for your loss! Hang in there.
messix
it's great that you had a very remarkable man in your life.

i have one also, my dad [step dad, but so much more].
MrKona
I'll bet you're one of many who will speak so affectionately of him. Nothing more to say, but I'm sorry.
KaptKaos
Sorry for your loss. He sounds like an awesome guy.
So.Cal.914
It's nice that you had a friend for a father. My condolences.
Coy
I'm really sorry for your loss. Sounds like you were a very lucky guy to have a person like that in your life, and from your words I would guess he felt lucky too.

My very sincere condolences
Mrs. K
sad.gif I'm very sorry for your loss.

Hang in there.........

Lisa
mrs.K.gif
markb
My condolences, also.
TROJANMAN
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss
craig downs
Very sorry for your loss. You were very lucky to have a person like him to take care
you. All the best
G e o r g e
my condolences, sorry to hear about our loss
JRust
Keep your head up! It is nice to have someone in your life to show you the way! I hope you have the chance to do the same for someone else. I have an appreciation for dads. Something I never experienced with any favor. Yet I had friends who's parents felt like my own. They are the reason I am a good father today. I am truly sorry for your loss. Celebrate his life & the blessing he was to yours!
Maltese Falcon
May he forever rest in peace , and may you find comfort in your memories of him .
I miss my Dad every day .
Marty
ThinAir
My condolences on your loss, and prayers that you will have far many more days when you can smile about his life in celebration than those that you mourn his loss.
sww914
At the saddest times, remember how good it was to have him when you did.
My father did more harm than good. You're lucky you got a good one.
effutuo101
Our condolences as well. I am in the same boat. My Step father of 40 years is the only Dad I have really known. Take care.
Dave_Darling
Sorry to hear it, but you will still have good memories.

Maybe he can hang out with my grandpa, and talk VWs...

--DD
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
my dad has been gone many years now. I miss him every day, except when I see him in my kids, then i know he is with us for ever. Dave slap.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 4 2007, 10:03 PM) *

Today I lost my father.

For over 30 years, Peter Panton was an important part of my life. He had no obligation to raise me or my sister, but he did anyway. He helped to build a stable, normal life for a single mom and two kids, long before it was fashionable to be a single mom.

It takes a big man to step up like that. Condolences.
Mark D.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Ken,
Surely, Peter's memory will be with you for the rest of your life. He'd be very pleased with that. I'm sorry for your loss.
Paul
Allan
My sincere condolences on your loss...
Dr Evil
Im so sorry, Ken sad.gif You were truley lucky to have known him.
aircooledboy
I am truly sorry for your loss. In your few words you have spoken volumes about him, and it brings a small tear to my eye. Partly because I feel your loss, and partly because it makes me feel a little better about the state of our world that there are in fact still men like that. Men who quitely go about their lives, doing the right thing for those they love, and making the world a little better along the way.

BTW, the only father I ever knew took my mom and my two older brothers and I into his life when I was a year old, and I have missed him every day for the last 13 years. But, I feel him near everytime someone who's life he changed tells me "hey, I knew your dad. . . " beerchug.gif
drive-ability
Surely, your father was proud to have you for a son..
zymurgist
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. I got back from Florida on Thursday. We had a nice memorial service last Wednesday and my mom was surprised by the number of people who showed up. He touched so many people in different ways. We found his discharge papers from the US Army... he served in Korea, having joined the army to earn money to support his mother. We got a folded flag in time for the memorial.

Here is a picture of him in better days with his cat Rocky. In my mom's House O' Cats™ two of them were Pete's buddies... a little Siamese colored girl named Peewee and a neurotic wussy boy named Rocket Boy (or Rocky for short). Rocky is still begging from everyone's plate. Peewee is spending her days hanging out in Pete's room, coming out to explore every once in a while. I guess that animals get broken hearts too.

Click to view attachment

Here's the obituary that I wrote (with help from my mom and sister)...

http://www.legacy.com/PalmBeachPost/DeathN...rsonID=88964586
r_towle
Celebrate his life.
He lives on in you and your memories.
Remember what he taught you and make him proud.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.