Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: L-Jet problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914nerd
So, my L-Jet 1911 has been acting up recently
It has been surging, it has developed some flat spots (most of which seem to have gone away with a good dizzy cleaning and oil cap seal replacement), and it seems a little anemic (moreso than usual).
What might cause some of these problems?

Thans,
Charles
Tobra
Is your air flow control door opening and closing smoothly? Wierd thing, but just saw it happen.

Oddly enough saw rebuilt units at midamerica for VW in a catalogue I just got, probably similar.
Bleyseng
Check for vacuum leaks and cracks in the S boot and a bad seal in the oil filler cap.
914nerd
Replaced the seal at the oil filler cap, the S-boot looks to be in good condition, and I believe the flap is working right
Any other suggestions of where to look?
Brando
Take the cover off of the air flow sensor. With the car off, move the wiper across the board -- are there worn areas? The contact paths do wear eventually.

Check your points! They're cheap enough, if they're pitted just replace and do effect your l-jet system.

Vacuum leaks will be major cause for your symptoms. Go over the engine and make sure you have no brittle/cracked hoses. The old cloth-covered rubber may be cracked inside but you can't see it unless you pull it off. Replace those with newer silicone lines.

Is the ECU plugged in all the way? Mine was partly disconnected - would idle but on the gas would stumble and die. Also check your double relays for disconnected or wires only partly making contact.
914nerd
Thanks for the replies
It seems to only begin once the engine is warmed up
(Before people say it, TPS and CHT)
Anything else that might cause this sort of problem?
It seemed like it was a loose connection at the coil, but that has been corrected and it is still having some problems
Rick L
I'm fighting the same problem. I've checked all the vacuum lines and electrical connections and it's still beating me. headbang.gif

The fuel tank is clean and I got a new fuel filter in it. I've got an optical dizzy and good spark.

Here's a question?! Do you all have your fuel filter before or after the pump? Mine's after and I wonder if maybe it's causing flow issues.
914nerd
Mine's before and I also replaced it recently so I don't think that's the problem
I've got a Pertronix points replacement and a DIS ignition system both of which are working fine
The MAF sensor is working fine and I can't really think of anyplace else to check except the CHT and the TPS
Have you checked those?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.