Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seeking clarification on side mirrors...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
NC-914
With regard to 914 side mirrors, I know that all 914s came with mounts in both doors to accommodate a side mirror. I also know that the side mirror changed subtley near the end of the 1972 model year (from the "angled arm" to the "curved arm") which is not reflected in the parts catalog with a new number (the catalog lists a single part number, 914 731 039 10, as appropriate for all model years - including the 914/6). I have never located a part number on either of these mirror styles, although most of the "curved arm" mirrors have a number stamped into the back housing that is apparently unrelated to the part number (I don't have the actual stamped number handy at the moment, but I don't think it is relevant to this long-winded question).
It had been my belief that the factory side mirrors were intentionally symmetrical with a center mount, enabling them to be rotated and subsequently installed on either the driver's or passenger's door. I thought I had it all figured out.
This morning, however, somebody pointed out to me that there actually was an optional right side mirror listed in the catalog with part number 914 731 040 10. To me, a different part number indicates a difference in the actual part, so...
Does anyone out there have a factory-optioned right side mirror on their car, and, if so, how does it differ from the left side mirror? Pictures would be great...
Thanks!

-Steve
pin31
I believe the only difference is the right side mirror is slightly convex.

Tim
NC-914
Yes, the catalog notes that... so simply replacing the glass on a left side mirror would result in an identical part to the factory issue right side mirror? That would make sense, given the housing design. Thanks!
NC-914
...of course, if that were the only difference, the number stamped on the back of the housing of the later "curved arm" side mirrors would be upside-down when mounted on the passenger's side... perhaps that is why some do not have any number stamped on them...
Anyone have more concrete insight here?
914Sixer
I have one of the factory right side mirrors. The glass is indeed convex. The mirror housing is the same as the left. The numbers stamped on the housing are turned upside down from the left side.
NC-914
Mark,
Thank you very much!
clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.