Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So Dan how low is it really
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
914forme
Title says it all

Dan, how low is you car really?

Joe Ricard
Know I have found the limit to being TOO LOW.

I was running about 3 3/4" and it was having ill effects on the handling. Not to mention blowing out two sets of Koni's. 2nd set was with 21mm torsion bars.

I have pics that suggest I was loading the suspension up against the bump stops.

Now I am running Koni 8610 race shocks in shortened strut housings. I put a zip tie around the piston. I get to within 1/4" of the bump stop after a run on slicks. Static ride hieght is 4 3/4" front and 4 5/8" back.

After a run the car remains nose down for 10 minutes or so. Koni holds the front down.
jhadler
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 6 2007, 10:33 AM) *

After a run the car remains nose down for 10 minutes or so. Koni holds the front down.

Ahh... The Mark Daddio school of shock tuning? Methinks you might have too much rebound dialed into your front shocks there Joe.

-Josh2
DanT
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jun 6 2007, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 6 2007, 10:33 AM) *

Ahh... The Mark Daddio school of shock tuning? Methinks you might have too much rebound dialed into your front shocks there Joe.

-Josh2

Josh, if you are referring to me. I will measure the car at the donuts and let you know. The car is at the shop right now getting teched for our next Time Trial. As soon as I get it back in the driveway I will let you know.
I know when it is on the 205x50s my race jack just fits under the rear donuts. biggrin.gif
And the specs on the jack are 3.75" at minimum height.
So figure I am right around 3.75-4" at the rear donuts.

jhadler
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 6 2007, 03:49 PM) *

Josh, if you are referring to me. I will measure the car at the donuts and let you know.

Actually, I was refering to Joe's comment of the front of his car staying low 10 minutes after an autox run. The rebound is so high, it won't let the suspension extend.

This was done on the rear a stock class Neon to win a couple of National Championships (Mark Daddio, he made more than $20k in winnings and contingency with that car.). But that was to FORCE the car onto the bump stops and get more oversteer out of it. I can see no reason to have the rebound damping so high on a car that's in a class that allows for all manner of suspension alterations.

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
Yes I know, we dialed out enough rebound to let the front up some. We don't hit the bump stops as evidenced by zip ties.

In a class where the suspension is unlimited you quickly realize that in fact the wallet is the only limiting factor.

I am curious as to what kind of suspension travel you have with a ride hieght of 3 3/4" ???? are you running bump stops? or have your spindles been raised? along with the trailing arm pick ups.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.