Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Iamchappy turbo car maybe a horse of a different color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iamchappy
Most of you have seen this picture of my car painted black.

I was shooting for the Jack Olson look 914 as I think his 911 is sooooo nice looking!

I think a nasty turbo car should be Black.

For some reason I see an Orange car as a spirited High compression Carb car.

My car has been Black for a long time but it was originally Signal Orange.

I have struggled with which way to go with the repaint (I actually had a sleepless night over it) this car is making me crazy.

With how often I am laying all over the car digging into the engine bay even with my work cover I know there will be no end to fine scratches everywhere and it will be an upkeep nightmare if I keep it Black.

My first 914 was Phoenix Red (Orange)

I have decided to bring the turbo car back to it's original color.

Try talking me out of it.

SIGNAL ORANGE
scotty b
Orange is so everybody. I mean really how many freekin orange 914's do we need?? Do something bold....do Something Different....make your car stand out in a crowd of oranges and yellows. Do........

O.D. Green
iamchappy
Maybe something like this.....
So.Cal.914
Or Plaid, you get to pick a few colors.

The factory color is a safe bet. IMO
byndbad914
I had a Calypso Coral 70 Mustang fastback (read that as slightly darker signal orange) and have always loved orange cars from "the era". I was going to paint my racecar signal orange but went black... when I decide to tear it all back down for acid dip and heat treat I am really thinking signal orange. Maybe white just because the car gets beat up by rocks and everything slicks chuck at the track, but if it were a streeter, signal orange for sure.

Orange is just such a cool color for late 60s thru early 70s cars of almost any make or model, and it just works with the black interior and tires with chrome accents of wheels and trim so well. Black looks awesome too, don't get me wrong, but what an f'in beotch to maintain! It takes one day to have a noticeable layer of dust on the racecar with black... ugh.
GWN7
is this a poll?

I vote orange smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jun 6 2007, 06:43 PM) *

Maybe something like this.....

In my best Homer simpson voice...Signal.. drooley.gif wub.gif I know my opinion doesn't count. Coming from a colorful background. biggrin.gif

But once you go Black... assimilate.gif
TonyAKAVW
Signal Orange is one of the best colors for a GT flared car...

-Tony
balljoint
Orange.

Then buy another car, and do it up the same way in black.
jonferns
leave it primer gray!!!! haha---JON (i vote orange)
iamchappy
Thats an idea, do up another one in black someday with a 3.8 twin turbo set up...

Rick and I were chatting about the color choice when he was down here helping me work on it. I was kinda hoping to see a story about the Minnesota boys and there three black cars all with different engine setups, mine with the turbo 6, Ricks alien, And Paul(Phoenix) with his V6.

I know I will love the orange and will be happy not having to wash it everyday.
Maltese Falcon
Chappy, do the paint scheme like the 917 "Pink Pig" or the 917 "Hippy" ,
now that would be different than the rest biggrin.gif
Marty
rick 918-S
Ya, but put yours in Signal between mine and Pauls... thumb3d.gif We need an eye's on springs smiley!

I'm not sure I'm helping... happy11.gif
iamchappy
I loved the way the black car looked even when it had the orange hood. And I still
think a 914 version of Jack Olsons car would be cool.
Marty's Black turbo monster can be the Black turbo example, I will have the only Signal Orange turbo car I know of, so mine will be unique.
BigDBass
How 'bout Ravenna Green! biggrin.gif

Ok... I like the Signal Orange choice. It's the original, and all the trippy colors are one of my favorite aspects of our 914s.

woobn8r
I love black cars....but nobody in my family owns a detailing shop and there are not enough days in the week to keep a black car pristine......also after some time the swirls in the paint become more difficult to polish out and you're back for another paint job/wet sand.

Go Orange!
IronHillRestorations
Paint it what you like!
I'd take something like Delphi Green Metallic over orange any day, but that's just me. I'm into more obscure colors than the standard fare though. If it's opinions you are soliciting, I say unique car, unique color. NOT orange and NOT black either!
iamchappy
Perry your no help. But I have interest in purchasing an umbrella cover as the roof
doesn't fit in the trunk with the intercooler.
iamchappy
All I am doing now is working on the body, going back to factory the Signal Orange
color is more work, as I need to clean up all the trunks and engine bay, I ask myself maybe I should of stayed with Black but yesterday I bought the Signal Orange paint and one look of it when I opened the can of paint convinced me WOW! is that Orange.... the shit glows, it's gonna look great.

The temps have been in the 90's all week and I know I am going to have to use the sand blaster to get the job done, It's going to be horrible, I think I am going to use a camel back to keep the H2O in me other wise I am sure to pass out. I like to be fully covered when I am blasting, God I hate doing it.....it's such a mess....
Crazyhippy
Yellow would make it even faster...

I love black, but will never own a black car. I say make at least the paint original biggrin.gif

BJH
sww914
Orange is beautiful and so is black. Black is a lot of trouble and orange hides a lot of crap.
If you really really love to wash cars, (some do) paint it black.
When I bought my WRX I wanted a black one, but I lived on a dirt road and my wife talked me out of it. She was right, I'm glad we bought a silver one, but I still want it black.
smj
I'm going to have to wrestle with this in the medium future (more than a few months). The /6 was originally signal orange, but I'm not sure I can see it going back to that. The black is slick, but I have a perpetually dirty black 944S. I love the look of my silver /4, but I'm not sure I can see the slant nose in silver either...

Sounds like chappy's made his decision though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.