Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heading down the non-original path...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Ferg
OK, my car is not quite stock already, Rennshift, Carbs, Momo wheel.

Today I bit the bullet and will be buying some newly chromed backdated bumpers (no "tits") and will be putting them on my 74 aktion035.gif

I figure I can always drill holes to put the "tits" back on.

Pics of car about to be backdated
1970 Neun vierzehn
A ) Since the bumpers are bolt on/bolt off fitment, it'll be easy to return to "stock" if the occassion warrants it.

B ) I'd think most people would agree that the early bumpers are aesthetically superior to later examples. Same thing with early E-Jags, early 911s, 2nd generation Camaros/Firebirds, BMW 2002s, etc.

BTW, the bumpers are correct for a 914, just not correct for the MY. Call it an "upgrade" or a "back-date".
Ferg
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 7 2007, 03:22 PM) *

A ) Since the bumpers are bolt on/bolt off fitment, it'll be easy to return to "stock" if the occassion warrants it.

B ) I'd think most people would agree that the early bumpers are aesthetically superior to later examples. Same thing with early E-Jags, early 911s, 2nd generation Camaros/Firebirds, BMW 2002s, etc.

BTW, the bumpers are correct for a 914, just not correct for the MY. Call it an "upgrade" or a "back-date".

That's pretty much how I see it...

How's your car coming along BTW???

Ferg
1970 Neun vierzehn
How's your car coming along BTW???

Ferg
[/quote]

I keep adding to the scope of work
and deleting the bank account balance, so yes, there's progress. unsure.gif

Thanks for asking.
Paul
Pat Garvey
People have done FAR WORSE things to pristine 914's.
Pat
orthobiz
I think the bumperettes are cool. But hey, I even like the 75/76 bumpers, so what do I know about good taste?

Somehow the "2.0" and "smooth bumpers" would make ME think you really have an older car and are a poser with a 1.7 motor and fancy wheels. Kinda like the ubiquitous "turbo" stickers people used to put on their Datsun B210's to make them look killer back in the 70's.

It's a pretty car no matter what you do. Now if you wanted to do 916 bumpers with a big bottom shovel valance, that would get my dander up!

Still hope to see you in TC for the 356 Registry. My car should be here next week!

Paul
Johny Blackstain
I like your thinking but hate chrome. I might have considered painted bumpers, orange, if I had your wheels. Regardless the tits/warts are ugly & I've never liked them.

cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 9 2007, 07:11 PM) *

I like your thinking but hate chrome. I might have considered painted bumpers, orange, if I had your wheels. Regardless the tits/warts are ugly & I've never liked them.

cool_shades.gif

Properly plated chrome is pretty hard & very easy to care for. Can't beat, particularly since it was a factory option through 1974. Only time the tits bothered me were '73, because the car looked unbalanced. Of course, they're just another part to degrade with age.
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 9 2007, 10:35 PM) *

Properly plated chrome is pretty hard & very easy to care for. Can't beat, particularly since it was a factory option through 1974. Only time the tits bothered me were '73, because the car looked unbalanced. Of course, they're just another part to degrade with age.
Pat

I can't argue, I just don't like chrome, on anything. I love the stealth look, where there are no shiny door handles, no shiny window trim, no shiny nothing. Must be an 80s' thing laugh.gif . I would love to be able to take the tits/warts off the front & back of the LE, weld all their holes shut & paint them phoenix red again. I'd like to have the door handles, mirror & vent window post powder coated ivory white. The chrome porsche across my engine grill would be re-done in matching black & I'd put an all black rubber gasket around my windshield. I never figured out what to do w/ the back trunk lock but all this is just fantasy... there's no messing w/ the LE.

cool_shades.gif

PS- this feeling of mine does not apply to wheels... a stealthy car w/ shiny, chrome wheels? It's so Matchbox biggrin.gif !
Ferg
Bumpers are here, and car is back from paint. Just waiting on the front bumper top.

I've got a nice weekend project. smile.gif

Ferg
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 22 2007, 10:05 AM) *

Bumpers are here, and car is back from paint. Just waiting on the front bumper top.

Ferg

Ferg,

Weekend project?

F & R bumpers & tops of - 30 minutes max. Clean up the areas behind each, and the dogbones - 15 minutes. Install new bumper tops - 15 minutes. Reinstall F & R bumpers/tops & align - 30 minutes.

Start at 9 am & you're easilly free for the rest of the day. Heck, you just had the car repainted - that should save you 15 minutes. Other than changing a tire, this is the easiest thing to do on a 914.
Pat

JPB
I think everyone should have a full set of bumpers to put on their car as they feel. To drill holes on a chrome bumper for tits, now thats a sin of Coranic proportions! Please don't make me Jihad you.beer.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 22 2007, 07:45 AM) *

I can't argue, I just don't like chrome, on anything. I love the stealth look, where there are no shiny door handles, no shiny window trim, no shiny nothing. Must be an 80s' thing laugh.gif . I would love to be able to take the tits/warts off the front & back of the LE, weld all their holes shut & paint them phoenix red again. I'd like to have the door handles, mirror & vent window post powder coated ivory white. The chrome porsche across my engine grill would be re-done in matching black & I'd put an all black rubber gasket around my windshield. I never figured out what to do w/ the back trunk lock but all this is just fantasy... there's no messing w/ the LE.

"I see a red door and I want to paint it black..."
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 24 2007, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 22 2007, 07:45 AM) *

...."red is gray, and yellow white..but who are we so say what's right - and what's an illusion"
Ferg
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 22 2007, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 22 2007, 10:05 AM) *

Ferg

Ferg,

Weekend project?

F & R bumpers & tops of - 30 minutes max. Clean up the areas behind each, and the dogbones - 15 minutes. Install new bumper tops - 15 minutes. Reinstall F & R bumpers/tops & align - 30 minutes.

Start at 9 am & you're easilly free for the rest of the day. Heck, you just had the car repainted - that should save you 15 minutes. Other than changing a tire, this is the easiest thing to do on a 914.
Pat

Yep, weekend Project. You see, I have two in Diapers right now, so car time goes something like this....

I go to the garage, and start to remove a bumper bolt, the garage door opens and it's my son Hudson wub.gif asking if I will play matchbox with him. I go inside play matchbox for a hour, and put him down for a nap. Then I go back out, and finish removing the bolt and start on bolt number two, wife opens the door, to say my Daughter Mia wub.gif Just woke up, and I'm on Duty smile.gif

Repeat that scenario throughout the weekend and you get the idea.

I did finish, and I also modified my Bursch exhaust tip, so it now angles down and to the side, and does not look so silly sticking a mile out the back of the car.

Pictures to come, camera was full, so later this week I will snap some shots.

I'm very happy how it turned out. aktion035.gif
Ferg. beer.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 24 2007, 09:02 PM) *

"I looked in the mirror today,
my eyes just didn't seem so bright.
I've lost a few more hairs... I think I'm, I'm going bald.
I think I'm going bald!"

cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.