Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To sell or not?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Doc up the street from me is moving. He's a real Porsche guy. had a C4, downgraded (?) to a C2, and then to one of the nicest '83 SC's I've ever seen.

So, late this afternoon, I'm underneath the 914 & he knocks on the the wall of the garage. Pleasantries pass - then he says he wants to buy my 914! What? Yeah, he's serious & offers 15.5! Well, it's on jackstands & he can easily see it a nice 914. And he has seen it in the "hood".

So, flashback. 1982 or 1983, I'm stil living the Cininnati area & another Doc, (a tooth pounder) sees my 914 at a concours & offers $10K for it. I was tempted until he told me it was for his son's 16 birthday!

Well, I asked this doc what he would do with it & he said "drive it". His oldest son will get the 911 in 8 years, but this would be for his pesonal use.

So, what do I do?

For thse of you who are uninformed, I've had this 914 from new. It's been a member of the family for 35 years. Never had a garage that this car wasn't in. Other Porsches have come & gone, but this is the "baby"

What would you do? Need to make a decision by Sunday!

Tempting, butwhat would I relpace it with for $17K (my counter offer). Would go a long way towards a real six (if they still exist).
Pat
914-8
you should sell it and get a car you can enjoy driving.
ClayPerrine
My $.02.

You have had this car long enough that it has become one of the family. I know in my heart that selling one of our 914s would feel like selling a child. There is no money in the world that would get me to sell mine.

Money isn't everything... I still regret selling my first car!

Ferg
I think the longest I've owned any car was my white six, and that was 3.5 years... blink.gif

I think it's cool that original owners and cars are still together. 17k won't even get you in the door on a six that "you" or me for that matter would be happy with, so "why"?

Sell that ass dragger (it's worth more anyhow) and get a nice six to drive, and continue to Qtip the "baby"

Ferg
Ferg
Oh and if you decide not to sell, give your neighbor my email. idea.gif

I have a nice 74 2.0 that may look good in his garage for 17k chairfall.gif poke.gif

Ferg laugh.gif
scruz914
I wouldn't sell. It is not about the money. That car is like family after all this time. I know I would regret selling it. After a few years that $17k will not compare to still being the original owner of a 914. Every time an original owner sells, the "original owner" club becomes that much more exclusive.

-Jeff
Rav914
Everybody so far has been right. If you sell it, then what do you have? Just some $. Sell the T to the multitudes who are dying for an early car and buy a /6 with that.

My .02
type47fan
Keep it, Pat! You and your car are a rare occurance. There aren't that many like you around. You'll regret it if you sell after all these years. The next 10 years are going to fly by and when you're 70, you'll wish you still had the '72. . . .Sell the tail dragger, if you want or have to sell something.

My $.02. . . too.
Pat,
Ive owned my 1971 four for over 30 years,You will regret it after you sell it. Keep It !! Good Luck !!!

swm914
Pat, in my few months on the forum it seems like you and that car are as one. No way would I sell it.
Steve
TJB/914
Hi Pat,

You sure got my attention this morning. Hope you make the right decision. Your 914 is special & so are you. Only you can decide.

Tom
BTW: Every day I look at the used Bxstr.S's for sale in the paper. Just today one with the right color, etc is listed. I keep thinking I might get rid of the 914 for a newer type Porsche that goes to the dealer for maintenance, etc. Tough life decisions for me toooo. headbang.gif

Jasfsmith
Keep it until you are to old to slide in and out of it. Drive it and enjoy it until then.
johnc
Keep it for the following reason: You won't eat your heart out when you see it driving by your place; I sold my original sky blue late '65 C (black plate, red leather, original paint, rare factory tinted windows and factory equiped wood wheel) to a neighbor for twice what it was worth( and 1/2 what it is worth today!) He lives farther up the hill than I do and when I hear that air cooled growl going by, I just shake my head.
orthobiz
I don't think you CAN sell it. It's been in the garage so long and on jackstands and hasn't been off your property that the car is too afraid to EVEN GO PAST THE GARAGE DOOR! My Aunt Irys had a cat like that once and she finally had to take it to the vet one day and trying to get that beast out the front door JUST WASN'T PRETTY! She bears the scars to this day.

Beware!

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
Don't sell it to the "doc", consign it to B-J, or R-M and get some noteriety out of it. Then take all that money and by a Buick. You deserve one after selling that 914. After all, wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?

Paullie
Johny Blackstain
I understand your dilema... I feel I can relate. I wouldn't take $50k for my 74 & always wanted a six. So I got a six & kept the four. Sorry Pat, not much help I know- (JB chair.gif Pat) biggrin.gif

cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
Let's put this in MY perspective.

I have wanted a 914-6 since BEFORE I bought the four. It would have to be 100% stock, though I'd consider a 2.4 motor. But I mean stock. No goofy paint, no flares, no incorrect ANYTHING. It's what I want, and I won't accept a substitute - not even a Buick! (thanks, pal)

Yeah, I could sell the tail dragger & add some cash for a six. Problem is, I've had IT too long(~18 years) & gotten attached to it also. When I fire that puppy up & it makes that glorious 911 engine noise & smells, I almost wet my pants. When I drive the dangerous bastard hard, and it gets squirrely in the twisties, I feel 25 again. Parting with it would be difficult, but not out of the question. Except....I don't have to part with it.

Now, I NEVER had any intention of selling my 914. But when someone from the blue offers you 4 times what you paid for it (he accepted my offer this afternoon), you begin to think about the wisdom of the affliction.

So, it was crunch time. Thought it was time to bring it up to the wife, since she's busted as many knuckles on the 914 through the years as I have. We have learned to make all decisions such as this mutually. Which means that I really had no say in the matter.

I refused the offer.

I'll still get my six, but not at the expense of the only male child of the house (his name is Fritz).

But, it was never about the cash. It was an ego trip. And, if I ever got rid of this car (prior to the onset of Allzheimer's), we'd both be SO sorry. It was an ego trip that I almost fell for back in the early 80's.

Story ended - though the potential buyer was ready to up they anty! Somewhere in Maine(that's where he moved to) is a doc who's looking for a pristine drivers'
914. Bet he goes to BJ to find it. In the mean time, we're all warm & fuzzy with Fritz right here where he belongs.

Thanks to all of you who responded, though none of the responses had any bearing on the decision. Reason took over.
Pat
Bill Smith
I know how you feel - I have a 46 chevy pickup that I dont drive since I got the german bug - I just spent about a month getting it to where I could sell it - I took it to a car show and just could not put the for sale sign in the window - too much work and just too much heart in it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.