Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The mystery disks in the floors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
ClayPerrine
I was talking with Al Zim (owner of Zim's Autotechnic) and he clued me in on what those big round holes in all the floor panels are for!! Seems that they used a very similar setup on the 356, and he had seen them in use.

When the tub was built, they mounded the various pieces to the jig with a twist lock setup. Then the rest of the tub was assembled to those pieces. When they were done, they pulled the tub off the jig, and installed the plugs into the panels.

He even showed me pictures of a partially assembled 356 tub on the jig, and he showed me the same plugs in the floor of one.

SirAndy
another one to scratch off the list!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
IronHillRestorations
OK, so how about the holes in the very front bulkhead panel, behind the front bumper, with the rubber plugs in them?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 7 2007, 10:29 PM) *

I was talking with Al Zim (owner of Zim's Autotechnic) and he clued me in on what those big round holes in all the floor panels are for!! Seems that they used a very similar setup on the 356, and he had seen them in use.

When the tub was built, they mounded the various pieces to the jig with a twist lock setup. Then the rest of the tub was assembled to those pieces. When they were done, they pulled the tub off the jig, and installed the plugs into the panels.

He even showed me pictures of a partially assembled 356 tub on the jig, and he showed me the same plugs in the floor of one.

Very interesting! But, did it have to be so big (no reference to Pink Floyd intended)?
Pat
McMark
I'd love to see a scan of that 356 picture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.