Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Mazda Protege 1996
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
70k miles, clean looking.

blinking engine light. I'm thinking about going to FLAPS to get it scanned, but question is:

Can I use any method to otherwise read my scancodes without FLAPS, until I buy a OBD II scanner?

Oh BTW, I think the 914 is going to be put away fro a bit so I can do things right. Clutch is dead too, which sucks--no traveling to BGC with 914 sad.gif sad.gif

Help with my mazda, I assume its a real problem if its blinking rather than solidly lit.
MecGen
Hey Bro

Glad to see your still fighting with your 914...
Lets talk Mazda... aktion035.gif

A blinking "CE" lite is a misfire, your into a tune up regardless, very easy to do yourself. You might have multiple codes, not to worry. Unless you get fuel trim code... headbang.gif While your at the flaps, pick up a can of "sensor clean" or some other brand that make a cleaner ONLY for mass air flow sensors, brake cleaner or air intake cleaner is risking doing more harm then good. These years of Mazda's, the mass air flow sensor is sensitive to shit biulding up on the probes (the little wires and/or board in the center of the airflow). A must do for every tune up. Change you oil after the job and reset your codes, misfires can contaminate the oil, and still give goofy symtoms after the problem has been fixed. If you have way too much time on your hands, a EGR rebiuld is in order... wait till you get it scanned, see if it will flag a EGR code, I'll tell you how to do it on the cheap... piratenanner.gif

Let us know how it turns out

Later
beerchug.gif
LowGT
Go ahead an disconnect the battery for a while to reset the computer. It could be a stored code that was never cleared after a repair. If the code comes back after resetting the ECU, then I would have FLAPS check the code.

I know a shortcut to read codes on OBD-1 mazdas, but I don't think it works on OBD-2.
bd1308
Codes:

-Multiple/Random Misfire
-O2 Sensor Preheater
-MAF Sensor

I did a tuneup, i'll see if that does anything.

MecGen
Hey Britt

Clean your Maf/Mass air meter with the specific cleaner, clear the codes and see what comes back.
O2 heater curciut is usually a bad O2...$$$ Make sure there are no leakes from the sesor/throttle body tube, the funny acordian tube. Change oil Bro.

Later

beerchug.gif
bd1308
hey, check this out.

I was replacing my rotor (and cap) when I saw that the band clamp that cinches down the air filter assembly to the accordion tube was REAL loose. I believe I may have had some small air leak or something (could be possible) which may have also been the cause of the MAF thing. I know from my L-Jet, *ANYTHING* that gets behind the AFM is bad news.

Plugs look great, I heard that Bosch plugs do NOT go in a Japanese car, so I got some NGKs.

I'll do oil today methinks, I felt like an idiot not being able to decide which oil to get, the 914 gets 4 quarts of 15W-40 Rotella, I got valvoline.

So far its been a really nice car, I'm hoping to keep it that way. As for the 914, I'm definately keeping it, I just need to save up some real money to do things right on it.

I'm still in the aircooled thing, just nice to have a change sometimes.

smile.gif
bd1308
I got lazy and took the car to the oil change place to get 3.5 QT of thier finest dino 5W-30

After straightening all of the other stuff out i just have one code left:

P0135= O2 Sensor Heater Malfunction

Occasionally I'll get the Multiple/Random Misfire under heavy throttle, and after the tune-up I dont know really what would cause this. PCV vale seems to be OK, and i'm going to a mechanic buddy (who specializes in H2O cars and aircooled VWs) to see how to easily check if my timing belt was recently changed
TROJANMAN
Maybe you need a new muffler chairfall.gif
bd1308
I already tried that, still get the light
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.